Looking for opinion on cabs to use with Matrix

wknight2

Inspired
Looking for opinion on cabs/speakers to use with poweramp

Hi folks:
After reading threads, I decided to order the Matrix and give a poweramp/cab option a try. I've been using a Verve 12ma for 2+ years with my Ultra, and have been reasonably happy, but to quote others, it seems to lack some "soul" when playing.

I'm looking for opinions from people who regularly gig on the best cab/speaker options.

Some choices I'm considering (but am open to other choices as well):

Port City OS 2x12 with Celestion G12Ks
Mesa Thiele 1X12 with EVM12L

The band I will use this in plays 95% cover songs, including mellow stuff like CCR, Rolling Stones, to heavier stuff like Guns and Roses, Green Day, etc. Some gigs have sound guys, so stage volume not as important, but we also do freebie outdoor benefit shows with our own PA (not micing the cab) so projection/coverage and thump is important. There is 1 other guitarist/keys, 2 singers, bass, and a loud drummer.

In a perfect world, lighter is better but still able to sound full with lots of thump on palm muting. I'm not interested in a 4X12 (too much to carry around). Maybe even 2 1X12s on different sides of the stage?

Advice and opinions welcome!
Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
Many are now going to EVM 12L Classics as they provide an extremely wide, flat frequency
response (so you get some of that FRFR clarity) and still have the punch of traditional 12" guitar speakers,
which is a big part of the 'amp in room' experience I think you are looking for. There are also alot of
cheaper EVM knockoffs on the market to research as well.

Some of the EVMs on ebay seem to look different from each other (not counting the 300watt black label). I guess there were a few versions over the years?

Many are now going to EVM 12L Classics as they provide an extremely wide, flat frequency
response (so you get some of that FRFR clarity) and still have the punch of traditional 12" guitar speakers,
which is a big part of the 'amp in room' experience I think you are looking for.

Thats exactly what I'm going for with a TT-cab

Thats exactly what I'm going for with a TT-cab

Everyone who has tried them with the Axe loves them. Kind of an ideal middle ground
between FRFR and traditional guitar speakers. Be sure you give them plenty of time to
break-in or have a tech Variac them. Devilishly hard to break them in. They sound
gloriously musical once they are.

Back
Top Bottom