Looking for "It's my life" Talkboxeffekt

Nitram

Hey,
I tried to copy the Talkbox Sound in "It's my life - Bon Jovi" with some Formant, Phaser, Wah etc. but I didn't really found what I'm looking for.
Is there somebody who can help me to get a cool talkbox sound for this song?

Not to be a smart @$$, but the way to get the talk box sound is to buy a talk box. You can pick them up on eBay pretty cheap.

This is just my opinion, but songs like It's My Life or Living On a Prayer just sound poor without a talkbox. No matter how good the tone is of guitarist who ISN'T using one for those songs, its just not the same. Its probably cos i'm a massive Bon Jovi (Richie Sambora) fan so i'm biased. My band plays both those songs and i use a Rocktron Banshee which does an ok job. At the min i only use the talk box on those two songs for the entire set. I could just be lazy and not bother setting it up but i'd rather not play the songs tbh. Same goes for songs like 'Show me the Way' by Peter Frampton. For me personally it would be completely pointless playing that song without a talkbox.

Sorry, dont have any tips on getting a talkbox sound. This is just my 2p worth. Think some people have had 'some' success with the formant tho ;)

Nitram said:
Hey,
I tried to copy the Talkbox Sound in "It's my life - Bon Jovi" with some Formant, Phaser, Wah etc. but I didn't really found what I'm looking for.

Here is a two-pass take of my recto patch that I use for it's my life. There is a take with and without the Takebox effect (Formant). It's not perfect but it works for me and is good enough to not be messing with adding a talkbox to my rig.

The formant is controlled by the envelope in the AxeFX so the effect varies depending on how hard you hit the strings.

http://www.rockandload.co.uk/axefx/jovi.mp3

If you like it and are interested I'm happy to post the settings but it will be tomorrow as I'm just heading out to a gig.

Spence

xpenno said:
Nitram said:
Hey,

Here is a two-pass take of my recto patch that I use for it's my life. There is a take with and without the Takebox effect (Formant). It's not perfect but it works for me and is good enough to not be messing with adding a talkbox to my rig.

The formant is controlled by the envelope in the AxeFX so the effect varies depending on how hard you hit the strings.

If you like it and are interested I'm happy to post the settings but it will be tomorrow as I'm just heading out to a gig.

Spence

Thats the best attempt i have heard so far, well done! If you could post the patch it would be appreciated!! :D

xpenno said:
Nitram said:
Hey,

Spence

Hi Spence,
Sounds good. I'd like to try that preset.

Hey no worries guys, I'll post the patch. My Axe is still in storage following our gig on Saturday but as soon as it's out I'll hook it up and post it up here, probably Wednesday this week.

Spence

Hey guys,

Was just wondering if its preset has been shared yet? I have this song for next rehearsal & would love to get the effect on the clip!

Or, could you give me some direction on how the Filter is setup?

Appreciate it!

Dave
Ireland.

Sorry for the delay guys I've only just plugged my Axe in today as I've been out getting drunk for my birthday!

Anyway here is the patch I hope you like it and please let me know if you do :cool:

[attachment=0:6z0hvin3]XpennoRecto07122010.syx[/attachment:6z0hvin3]

The only thing to watch should be the envelope settings, you need to get into those and make sure that when you hit a chord hard the level meter just hits the top of the bar using the threshold and gain settings.

Also in the patch is the pitch block I use for You give love a bad name if you play that as well.

Spence

Attachments

• XpennoRecto07122010.syx
    2 KB · Views: 467
Thanks.
So the Formant block and the "tight bass" filter are using the same Envelope (settings)?

yek said:
Thanks.
So the Formant block and the "tight bass" filter are using the same Envelope (settings)?

It does. I only have the Formant filter on one patch and it works ok for me.

Spence

Not to be a smart @$$, but the way to get the talk box sound is to buy a talk box. You can pick them up on eBay pretty cheap.

this presumes you're using an amp/cabinet onstage.
I have an old Heil Talk Box...but since I stopped dragging the Marshall Cabinet around and no longer run the Ultra into a Power Amp, that creates logistical problems since I've gotten quite fond of NOT dragging all that extra gear to a show.

I used to play both those Bon jovi songs, and set up a dormant filter as well, which was controlled via an expression pedal. Convincing enough for me not to haul a power amp and talk box... And NO MORE DROOLING... lol

Formant is set up to start with "OOO, OHH, AAA" and res set at 2.13...

It's not perfect, but it's close enough to not have to deal with all the extra equipment hassle and slogged... Lol

Talk box effect

I tried the syx file that is found here but its empty when I use the axe edit, and one more thing what is a formant filter is it in the ultra?

I tried to upload it, save to computer then via Editor preset - but got the "Error Whilst Loading, Wrong File Type".

I get this about 25% of the time with shared patches on the forum.

No, the Formant Filter should be on both the Standard & the Ultra. Just hit enter on a block after your cab, scroll to "FRM" and hit Enter.

The preset probably didn't load because it was uploaded to the old Forum server, and supposedly presets were corrupted in the porting to the new server. Not sure if there was ever a fix for this or not.

Hope this helps !

I have an old Heil Talk Box...but since I stopped dragging the Marshall Cabinet around and no longer run the Ultra into a Power Amp, that creates logistical problems since I've gotten quite fond of NOT dragging all that extra gear to a show.
This might breathe some new life into your talk box — a 44-watt power amp in a stomp box. Easy to haul (you can strap it to your rack or pedalboard), and plenty of power to drive your talk box.

http://www.ehx.com/products/44-magnum

IMHO, formant filters are nice, but they're no substitute for a real talk box. That's one effect that the Axe-FX just can't do.

I gave up trying to get a 'great' talkbox sound from my Ultra.
I went and bought a Banshee and haven't looked back.
Yes, it's a PITA to setup every gig but it's always a headturner - always!

I gave up trying to get a 'great' talkbox sound from my Ultra.
I went and bought a Banshee and haven't looked back.
Yes, it's a PITA to setup every gig but it's always a headturner - always!

Which version? Banshee 2?

Back
Top Bottom