Looking for Guitar Pick Suggestions

OrganicZed

Fractal Fanatic
I am looking for recommendations for an alternative to the Dunlop Jazz III ultex 1.38mm picks that I currently favor. I really like the shape, thickness, and tone of these picks, but I dislike the translucent yellow color (very difficult to see when you drop it on the floor) and the lack of any real grip texture on on the surface.
Which picks should I check out?

1690812648960.png

I prefer the tortex jazz 3 XL's. Find them easier to hold on to over the ultex. They do have a "max grip" version and also comes in an easy to see red but I found the grip texture to be a bit much.

23498135012.FRNT__47711.1663875852.jpg

@TwinbornAxis I use the Jazz III XL for acoustic playing, but I found that I prefer the standard Jazz III size for electric playing. Thanks for the recommendations. I will look into the max grip and the tortex versions.

@Musikron That flow gloss looks interesting. I like that it is also made from Ultex, so the tone is likely to be very similar. From your experience with these do you find that the convex shape is enough to provide sufficient grip?

@Musikron That flow gloss looks interesting. I like that it is also made from Ultex, so the tone is likely to be very similar. From your experience with these do you find that the convex shape is enough to provide sufficient grip?
Absolutely. I'm not sure I've ever dropped one of them to be honest with you. Best pick I've found in 30 years for electric guitar.

Just don't try Gravity picks!
Since the first time I've tried the unpolished 2mm Standard, I can't use anything else
Unpolished Sunrise 2mm are also very good
These picks give me the "chirp" and perfect balance and attack power, they basically play themselves
Now I have two boxes full of new Dunlops and pretty much everything else, but can't use them at all, what a waste!

I am looking for recommendations for an alternative to the Dunlop Jazz III ultex 1.38mm picks that I currently favor. I really like the shape, thickness, and tone of these picks, but I dislike the translucent yellow color (very difficult to see when you drop it on the floor) and the lack of any real grip texture on on the surface.
Which picks should I check out?

View attachment 124317
I agree with your description and use Jazz III picks exclusively. My recommendation is the red Jazz III with the 'Max Grip" option.

A few pokes with a hot soldering iron will put some nice deep texture in any plastic pick.

I too like the Ultex Jazz III XL picks. The raised lettering on the thicker ones are pretty decent for grip, but those bastards do vanish like a fart in the wind when dropped. Does anyone know if the black versions sound any different from the translucent ones? I believe Petrucci's signature picks are black Ultex.

Back
Top Bottom