Looking for Guitar Pick Suggestions

The only picks I use were discontinued 15 years ago. That keeps happening to me. I bought as many as I could. Hopefully a lifetime supply. Dunlop Hotlicks gauge 10. If you find any let me know. I have folks send me some when they find them.

Attachments

• 2023-07-31 14.25.20.jpg
    2023-07-31 14.25.20.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 21
D’Addario Black Ice.

I’ve used ALL of the Jazz style picks and these are a keeper. Excellent grip, way less “chirp,” and more longevity than the Ultex. The only downside for you may be the color though.

D’Addario Black Ice.

I’ve used ALL of the Jazz style picks and these are a keeper. Excellent grip, way less “chirp,” and more longevity than the Ultex. The only downside for you may be the color though.

It looks like they have no texture on the grip. Is that correct?

I have been using these for a while now:

View attachment 124332
I really like the Flow picks. I have tried to go back to other picks, but I keep coming back. I use the 2.0s, but 1.5 would probably work as well. They are very durable, have the sharp point and the ones that I use have an indent for grip. These picks seem to be very precise and have a different sound than Tortex.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/550P200--dunlop-550p200-flow-gloss-guitar-picks-2.0mm-3-pack

I’m using Dunlop Tortex .88. Need to switch myself because there’s no texture and they rotate in the fingers. I’m seeing a lot of heavy picks suggested. Am I missing something?

I only use the finest, hand sourced sharks teeth and none of those ones that fall out and drop to the sea floor. They have to be freshly pulled from the 2nd row of teeth, not the first other wise they dont have the same tone. Baskin shark is the preferred species but if I have to, I'll accept the more "peasant" Goblin shark variety.

You're welcome.

I’m using Dunlop Tortex .88. Need to switch myself because there’s no texture and they rotate in the fingers. I’m seeing a lot of heavy picks suggested. Am I missing something?

I used to use 0.73 mm Dunlop nylon picks. When I switched to thicker picks (1.14 and then 1.38mm) I found that I had a lot more control over my picking. A stiff pick puts the player in complete control of the attack because they put out exactly what you put in. Medium and thin picks flex and limit the player's control. Ultimately it comes down to personal preference.

I can't rock anything over 1.0mm these days, I play with quite a lot of gain and the "chirping" on the high strings with heavier picks just drives me insane.
I’ve been surprised at how many people are using what I consider, very thick picks. I’ve been a Tortex .88mm guy for most of my 30 playing years and only recently started using 1.0mm EB Everlasts by way of a change. I’m also mostly in the high gain territory and anything over 1.0mm starts getting more and more unresponsive to me. These guys playing 2mm plus picks would feel like using a 2x4 to me.

Back
Top Bottom