Looking for clean AC30 amps

chrisjnyc

Power User
Anyone have a clean AC30 patch\block? I have been trying to get a really clean Vox tone, but the gain and master volume are way down, which makes it pretty quiet

My understanding is that the current firmware on the AX8 does not include the latest updates / corrections made to the AC30 model(s) in Quantum. Perhaps a future update to the AX8 firmware will add these and help you find the tone you seek.

You might consider the Morgan AC20 models, too... depending on what you are looking for. I prefer the AC20 Bass model.

I took about 5 minutes to make this one. It's for the XL+ but gives you and idea of a Vox TB with humbuckers.

This is a vintage dimarzio bridge pup wide open.

The thing about Vox'es and humbuckers is it gets congested sounding. Requires a few little tricks.

This is using the factory Blue / Silver IR's.

I used an SDD preamp with low drive settings.
EQ before and after the amp.
Turn the amp transformer match to 0.8

http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=3946

vox%201.06%20sdd%20settings_zpssqkgcxm7.jpg

Last edited:
I took about 5 minutes to make this one. It's for the XL+ but gives you and idea of a Vox TB with humbuckers.

This is a vintage dimarzio bridge pup wide open.

The thing about Vox'es and humbuckers is it gets congested sounding. Requires a few little tricks.

This is using the factory Blue / Silver IR's.

I used an SDD preamp with low drive settings.
EQ before and after the amp.
Turn the amp transformer match to 0.8

http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=3946

Thanks for this, I will try it out later. I am going for a little cleaner tone. If you ever owned a reissue Vox AC30 and used the hi output input... keep the master volume just past "2" so its really clean.

Thanks for this, I will try it out later. I am going for a little cleaner tone. If you ever owned a reissue Vox AC30 and used the hi output input... keep the master volume just past "2" so its really clean.

I think the voxes in the Fractal are non master volume amps.

If you lower the master out of the sweet spot, it will get thin and lose it's mojo.

In my preset I've got the input drive on 5 so plenty of room to make it cleaner. With single coils it's much easier to get pristine cleans from a real vox.

This stays clean for me with humbuckers in a PRS. I didn't move the MV pre-PI as Cliff suggests above but that should just make it cleaner, a little brighter, for the same amp settings. Comp is there to keep things in check headed in to the amp. AX8 preset attached.

Screen Shot 2015-12-30 at 1.00.52 PM.png

Attachments

• Clean AC-30 TB.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 122
AC=30 = Vox
Axe-Fx = a product by Fractal Audio Systems
PPI-MV = Post Phaser Inverter Master Volume: 10.6 MSTR VOL LOCATION
IIRC = If I Recall Correctly
MV = Master Volume

Last edited:
i mean, my LP with the drive low and the master wide open is pretty clean. you could always lower the MV or even better drop the input trim to .50 to mimic the different input. that's standard procedure as stated in the manual and wiki.

Gibson Burstbuckers... still looking for a clean and chimey AC30
Chime isn't really a good description of audio, but what people usually call "vox chime" actually comes from a touch of a clipping and a lot of treble. Are you getting more than a touch of clipping? That bit of clipping, plus a lot of upper-midrange content, gives it a nice ringing sound that stands out when it's used in the context of a full mix.

yeah, whenever I'm thinking of an amp for cleans, it's not the AC30 or it's variants....those are all meant for edge of breakup tones...

Chime isn't really a good description of audio, but what people usually call "vox chime" actually comes from a touch of a clipping and a lot of treble. Are you getting more than a touch of clipping? That bit of clipping, plus a lot of upper-midrange content, gives it a nice ringing sound that stands out when it's used in the context of a full mix.

Yea, too much grind for me. If you ever played a Vox AC30. it gets really clean when the volume is around 2-3 (and still plenty loud)

I made one with the AC15 TB - I also find that I have to keep input gain reeeeaaal low and input trim to - Here input trim is 0.5 and input gain is 1.
I have a Les Paul with Burstbuckers, but it is not at home, so this preset is made with another singlecut humbuckerguitar, whose pickups are slightly less hot

EDIT: Scene 1 should be clean - scene 2 has a bit more grit

Attachments

• AC15 TB.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom