Looking for an external switch

boltrecords

Fractal Fanatic
Does anyone know if there is a one or two button external switch available anywhere that would allow the press and hold function like the fractal switches do?

Boss Fs-5 non latching.
Can be used as a switch or a press and hold.
I’ve used it as switch to turn on and off drive 2.
I’ve also used it as a temporary switch to activate the flanger while pressed.

I didnt think it was possible but figured id ask.

It's absolutely possible. You need a momentary (non latching) footswitch. It must be configured as a 'stand in' switch. Try searching you tube, pretty sure chris - axefxtutorials and Leon Todd have both done (really great) vids explaining how to set this up.

Most of us use the Mosky foot switches which work great! You can get them off Amazon. They used to be fairly cheap but have unfortunately like everything at the moment they've shot up in price. Well over here in the UK they have.

I've got two connected to my FC12, one two button which I use to go up and down via my presets and a single one to toggle my tuner on and off.

Amazon product ASIN B07JG6PWX3
Amazon product ASIN B07PMWQW5F

Last edited:
It's absolutely possible. You need a momentary (non latching) footswitch. It must be configured as a 'stand in' switch. Try searching you tube, pretty sure chris - axefxtutorials and Leon Todd have both done (really great) vids explaining how to set this up.
I saw leon todds video but it didnt show any Press and hold capabilities. Only was set up as 4 switch fucntions

The Mosky switch works great with an FM3 so I’m sure it should also work perfectly with the FM9. You can hold or tap on them. I forget how many pedal/switch inputs the FM9 has though. I think we lose one from the FM3 setup?

The Mosky switch works great with an FM3 so I’m sure it should also work perfectly with the FM9. You can hold or tap on them. I forget how many pedal/switch inputs the FM9 has though. I think we lose one from the FM3 setup?
The FM3 switch jacks support dual switches. The FM9 switch jacks only support a single switch.

So, they can be used with the FM9 but will require a TRS to dual TS cable and using 2 jacks.

You need to read about stand-in switches (as previously mentioned).

An external switch can do anything on onboard switch can do via stand-in configuration.
I’m not seeing anywhere that a standin switch can have two functions on one switch like the onboard switches.
Right now with the onboard switches I can tap to control one function or hold to control a second function. So two separate functions with one switch. Maybe I’m missing something

The two functions are assigned to the particular switch in an FC layout the external switch is standing-in for. Stand in switches are just a means to remotely activate any switch in one of your FC layouts. They will do whatever that switch is programmed to do.

For example, if you have the external switch set to be a stand-in switch for say switch 12 in layout 9, you would go to the FC switch configuration for switch 12 in layout 9 in the editor and assign your desired tap and hold functions there.

As for the switch hardware, just make sure you get momentary switches. You cannot use hold functions with latching/toggle style switches. They have to be momentary (i.e. on while you press and hold it, off when you let go or vice versa)

Last edited:
The two functions are assigned to the particular switch in an FC layout the external switch is standing-in for. Stand in switches are just a means to remotely activate any switch in one of your FC layouts. They will do whatever that switch is programmed to do.

For example, if you have the external switch set to be a stand-in switch for say switch 12 in layout 9, you would go to the FC switch configuration for switch 12 in layout 9 in the editor and assign your desired tap and hold functions there.

As for the switch hardware, just make sure you get momentary switches. You cannot use hold functions with latching/toggle style switches. They have to be momentary (i.e. on while you press and hold it, off when you let go or vice versa)
Will it only be active as it’s being held? I want it to turn on a specific block When held for a certain amount of time and to turn on another block when tapped

No, Stand-In switches are designed to work with momentary switches, so it will behave exactly like it does on the built-in switches (those are momentary switches too). You can have momentary functionality (on while held) if you want via a control switch, but the normal behavior will be just like the built-in switches.

Last edited:
I always recommend this company https://saturnworkspedals.com/product/amp-device-switches/ I have a double / momentary that works great.
This will not work with the FM9 as it only has single TS switching unlike the FC6 or FC12 that has TRS.
I have two of these switches that I use use with my FC6 and they work great and are a solid choice.
You could use a TRS to TS splitter and use this with each single TS PDL port on the FM9.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom