Looking for an external switch

That should probably be FM3, right? We don’t want to give the inmates any reason to believe that an official “3-switch Fractal foot controller” exists.
Good catch. There I fixed it. I have a FC6.
I am still perplexed as to why the FC6, FC12 and, FM3 all gave TRS pedal ports but the FM9 only has TS pedal ports.

The Mosky switch works great with an FM3 so I’m sure it should also work perfectly with the FM9. You can hold or tap on them. I forget how many pedal/switch inputs the FM9 has though. I think we lose one from the FM3 setup?
I want to point this out again just for clarity. The FM9 does not have TRS pedal ports like all the other Fractal devices.
It only has TS pedal ports see page 12 of the manual.

Does anyone know if there is a one or two button external switch available anywhere that would allow the press and hold function like the fractal switches do?
So, I figured I would answer your question with some explanation for clarity.
You can connect a single button switch with a TS cable to each pedal port on the FM9.
See page 12 of the manual.
Each switch can be setup as a stand-in switch to operate like the on-board switches.

You can connect a single button switch with a TS cable to each pedal port on the FM9.
Exactly. Which means that you would need to use TWO jacks on the FM9 to use a dual switch, unlike the FM3, which can support two switches per jack.

I want to point this out again just for clarity. The FM9 does not have TRS pedal ports like all the other Fractal devices.
It only has TS pedal ports see page 12 of the manual.
That is not quite correct. The 3 pedal jacks are TRS.

The jacks support either a single switch or an expression pedal. An expression pedal requires a TRS jack ;)

That is not what the manual states on page 12.
RTFM
The manual states no such thing on page 12.

Page 12 shows a TS to TS cable. It says nothing about the type of jack.

Please post a picture if you think there's something I'm missing.

Do you have an FM9?

I do. It has TRS jacks... If it didn't then expression pedals wouldn't work.

The manual states no such thing on page 12.

Page 12 shows a TS to TS cable. It says nothing about the type of jack.

Please post a picture if you think there's something I'm missing.

Do you have an FM9?

I do. It has TRS jacks... If it didn't then expression pedals wouldn't work.
As per the context of this thread it does not accept TRS for the external push buttons only TS.
So one push button switch or one expression pedal for each PDL port.
For some reason it lacks the switching for dual push buttons via TRS.
This is clearly called out on page 10 and page 12.

As per the context of this thread it does not accept TRS for the external push buttons only TS.
So one push button switch or one expression pedal for each PDL port.
For some reason it lacks the switching for dual push buttons via TRS.
This is clearly called out on page 10 and page 12.
You said the jacks are not TRS.

The jacks are TRS... It has nothing to do with the context. The context doesn't change the jacks.

A switch works with a TS cable and an expression pedal works with a TRS cable, both connect to one of the TRS pedal jacks.

In fact, a single TS switch will work with a TRS cable as well, from what I've tested.

The manual is pointing out that a switch jack only supports a single switch.

I also already mentioned that early in this thread:

The FM3 switch jacks support dual switches. The FM9 switch jacks only support a single switch.

So, they can be used with the FM9 but will require a TRS to dual TS cable and using 2 jacks.

Does anyone know if there is a one or two button external switch available anywhere that would allow the press and hold function like the fractal switches do?
Hey I just ordered this and will be expanding the switches on my FM9 with it.
This will allow me to duplicate the 2 TRS switches that I use with my AX3 to expand the FC3.

Each switch has dedicated functions in the stand-in switch setup.
One box is used for preset up/down the other box is tuner off/on and switches between scene/pedal view.

https://reverb.com/item/38180451-di...are&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=38180451

Hey I just ordered this and will be expanding the switches on my FM9 with it.
This will allow me to duplicate the 2 TRS switches that I use with my AX3 to expand the FC3.

Each switch has dedicated functions in the stand-in switch setup.
One box is used for preset up/down the other box is tuner off/on and switches between scene/pedal view.

https://reverb.com/item/38180451-di...are&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=38180451
The description on the listing says it converts midi to 1/4"...

Does it work both ways?

Otherwise, the AudioFront Expression IO is an excellent choice (although more expensive):

https://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.php

I use one with my FM9 to connect 4 expression pedals, while I use the 3 pedal jacks on the FM9 for additional switches.

You could also use the Expression IO to add 8 (midi) switches... Each of it's 4 TRS jacks can support 1 expression pedal or 2 switches.

The description on the listing says it converts midi to 1/4"...

Does it work both ways?

Otherwise, the AudioFront Expression IO is an excellent choice (although more expensive):

https://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.php

I use one with my FM9 to connect 4 expression pedals, while I use the 3 pedal jacks on the FM9 for additional switches.

You could also use the Expression IO to add 8 (midi) switches... Each of it's 4 TRS jacks can support 1 expression pedal or 2 switches.
Oh yeah. I need to RTFM don’t I.
Thanks for the heads up.
I may have spend a little more and get this.

https://reverb.com/item/36201064-morningstar-engineering-mc3-midi-foot-controller

Although it occurs to me I could setup the top 3 switches on the FM9 and have 2 for preset up and down and the last one single press to switch between scene and pedal view and, long press for tuner. Or the reverse.
This would kind of duplicate what I am doing with the FC6 + 2 TRS switches with the AX3. (old habits are hard to break)

Last edited:
Ok. Lot of info on this thread but I’m still very confused.
I bought the Mosky dual switch which has one trs Jack
I have pedal 2 and pedal 3 jacks open in the fm9 still.
Will this unit work as a dual switch with my fm9?
And will it allow me to have “each” button program a function for PRESS and another function for HOLD?

And what exact cable will I need? Ie One trs, trs to ts ts split?

Ok. Lot of info on this thread but I’m still very confused.
I bought the Mosky dual switch which has one trs Jack
I have pedal 2 and pedal 3 jacks open in the fm9 still.
Will this unit work as a dual switch with my fm9?
And will it allow me to have “each” button program a function for PRESS and another function for HOLD?

And what exact cable will I need? Ie One trs, trs to ts ts split?
Yes, it should.

This type of cable should work. You want a TRS to (dual) mono.

Amazon product ASIN B001R0WKZU
If you set the pedal jacks as stand-in switches, they can do everything a built-in switch can do.

Back
Top Bottom