Looking for advice about a guitar i am just not happy with.

Tsunamijuan

Inspired
I was hoping someone might have some advice or insight for me, dealing with a guitar that I am not happy with.

I purchased this guitar new a few months ago, I loved the pickups in it. It had something odd about it to begin with but i couldn't put my finger on it. When I changed the strings on it the trem was massively out of adjustment. Turns out it was setup for a much thinner gauge or lower tension strings than I normally use on my electrics. Took it back to where I bought it and asked them if they could do a setup on the trem. In the process they realized that they frets where not properly leveled on a good percentage of the guitar....... (getting unhappy at this point since it wasn't a a cheap guitar).

They Do the trem work and level the frets. I get it back the frets are level but uncrowned. The trem is setup wrong, and the bindings on the fret board are marred.

They claim they crowned the frets but its obvious they didn't cause you can see how flat they are from the leveling. They are pretty much flat across the entire fret at this point.

I am trying not to be a dick about it at this point. But the thought of another 3 weeks without the guitar and possibly another headache for something that shouldn't of been an issue in the first place is kinda getting on my nerves.

Should I just get rid of it, or see it through getting things right?

Tips, insight? Words of wisdom? Similar experiences and knowledge gained? Anything would be greatly appreciated, its just become a nasty piece bit of drama that i don't want to blow out of proportion but adding my own annoyance to the mix if possible.

Thanks in advance.

there are a couple of rules I've used throughout my career that I adhere to when dropping money on any sort of instrumentation.
"feel is everything!" If a guitar feels right in your hands, on your lap, accepts your reach, this is your guitar. In this day and age you can make a guitar project just about any kind of voicing and it can be adjusted to suit your needs fairly easily, especially if you're an AxefxII owner. Im not saying the wood tone, pickup selection, and aesthetics aren't important, I am saying feel comes first. A guitar that doesn't feel right should be set aside. There are just too many incredible builders and options out there to try and make an instrument fit your playing style. It sounds like you felt this way but pulled the trigger anyway. This is exactly why you would Never buy a product sight-unseen, unless it is a confirmed legendary build or the seller is a trusted source. If it's a guitar we're talking about, I want to test every single fret for buzzing and imperfections. Simply play the guitar chromatically and listen for the buzz! Also, music stores AND manufacturers tend to install thin gauge strings (8s or 9s) on their wares in an attempt to trick buyers into favoring their instruments and projecting 'ease of play'. Tune the guitar up a full step to increase the string tension to feel the true fight in the neck before purchasing
Another good idea is to go into a guitar shop with a trusted tech or an experienced player. I help my students purchase gear almost every week here in Seattle and I have saved them thousands of dollars and weeks of frustration by helping them get what they want and a solid deal. Some retail dudes cringe when they see me walk through the door with a student because they know full well that whatever gets bought today will be in excellent condition and sold at a fair price. Remember that the people in ANY music store are there to sell you. Period. Would you buy a car, an important appliance, or a valued tool without confirming its quality with a trusted source? Hope.

My suggestion is have them replace this instrument with a mint replacement. I can't think of a single product that I would but brand new that I wouldn't expect factory fresheness from!
Good luck!

If the place you bought it caress they will take care of you and replace it(should have to begin with, a new expensive guitar should not have needed fret work) if not move on some were else. I would not spend any more on a guitar you are not happy with, unless you find some one with true abilities to fix it. what kind of guitar is it? if the dealer will not take care of you, notify the supplier!

Good call guys. Seems like I was somewhat thinking along the same lines as everyone.

I wasn't bought sight unseen, my confidence in playing in public like guitar stores is rather low. Not to mention trying to get a decent amp selection that is to my liking and flavor without blasting peoples ears off. So yeah I guess I am partly to blame for not putting my finger on it from the start.

Trade for the same model is not an option, they would likely refund me and take it back. If they want to give me shit about damage to it, all the damage was done while in their possession.

As for model, its 2016 JEM.

well you have proof of purchase and bill for repair, ask for refund and find a reputable sales location else were. Ibanez is every were, shouldn't be to hard to find a dealer that cares. Try to find an independent dealer they may have to have higher prices then the box stores, but normally they will value you business and do there best to take care of you. I have had independent stores let me stay after closing to test gear. Stores like guitar center are just full of young kids and bums(for the most part) that are just there to make a pay check, they do not care.

I have a good working relationship with this store, I buy alot of stuff there. I realize also that they are kinda meh when it comes to guitar teching (atleast after this). But it seems like my line of thought isn't blown out of proportion.

It is kinda ridiculous that Ibanez let a guitar that clearly had problems leave the factory like this in the first place. I didn't realize either that it had a secondary tag saying it was checked and setup properly leaving ibanez with signatures on the cards. Not stamps. So either it was missed. Or it disliked the boat ride to the united states.

The shop owes you a proper fret dress. They say they crowned the frets, but you can show them where they didn't. If they push back after you show them the flat frets, ask to see the manager. If he refuses to acknowledge the problem, give careful consideration to whether you want to continue to do business with them. A "good working relationship" shouldn't depend on you bending over and spreading your cheeks.

The shop owes you a proper fret dress. They say they crowned the frets, but you can show them where they didn't. If they push back after you show them the flat frets, ask to see the manager. If he refuses to acknowledge the problem, give careful consideration to whether you want to continue to do business with them. A "good working relationship" shouldn't depend on you bending over and spreading your cheeks.

What I would be most worried about here is that they don't know how to dress frets.

My philosophy when going to Dunkin Donuts in the morning and getting a sh*tty coffee from them....I never go back to get a new one, because they're going to just give me another cup from the same sh*tty batch.

A good luthier doesn't let a crappy fret job leave his/her bench. If they do, then that is likely their best work.

I would be opting for a trade towards a better playing guitar.

Reactions: Rex
To start with, I would never use a luthier from a store. Having worked with them in multiple music stores, they work in a store because they can't get enough work on their own. i would refer our customers to external luthiers. This gives you an idea on the quality of their job. Always go for a private luthier.

Second, If the guitar is a problem from the start, bring it back for refund or exchange. Even if a good luthier can fix it, it's asking for problems that can appear down the road.

To start with, I would never use a luthier from a store. Having worked with them in multiple music stores, they work in a store because they can't get enough work on their own. i would refer our customers to external luthiers. This gives you an idea on the quality of their job. Always go for a private luthier.

I used to fully agree with this statement.
There is a local luthier near me that used to work for a big chain music store (Daddy's Junky Music). I had friends that had good experiences bringing their stuff to that store, but I still said - eh, not for me.

Well, they went out of business, so he started working on his own. Friends recommended him again....so I decided to give him a try.
He is hands down the best luthier I've met in all of my 30 years playing. Fast, friendly, inexpensive and absolutely amazing work. I have seen him take a 57 Les Paul with a destroyed neck heel, and he pulled it apart, rebuilt (yes rebuilt) the neck, and it came out amazing.
He would still be working at that store if they didn't go out of business....and I would be without a great luthier because I was stubborn in trying him out.

And on the flip side, I used to go to an external luthier that sucked. He wired my Les Paul backwards (two tone knobs on the bottom and two volumes on the top) and debated it was correct. Who doesn't know how a Les Paul is supposed to be wired???????

Just some food for though....good luthiers 'can' work at a store.
But back to the OP....sounds like his store has a crappy luthier.

I'm a firm believer that the right guitar for you is 'right' right away. No amount of tweaking necessary will decide that for you. My #1 is a Les Paul that has gone through a couple pickup changes and some minor tweaks, but the moment I first played it, I knew it was special and was "the one"

I have other guitars that are 100% easier to play, lighter, faster necks, more versatile etc etc. But I still always come back to my #1. It has the mojo. Other people have played it with underwhelming response, but I've heard multiple comments from friends and peers saying that, that guitar comes to life in my hands.

Find the right one for you and you'll know right away. I'm sure you've had that experience with other guitars.

If you drop hundreds or thousands of dollars on a guitar, PLAY EVERY SINGLE FRET. One's confidence in playing in public places like Guitar Center not withstanding, you screwed up by not properly checking the guitar for crappy tech. There are inconsistencies and flaws in every single guitar, even off the factory floor, and just how large/vital/acceptable these flaws are, are up to you the buyer. In this case if you have a chance to get out of this deal and re-purchase, do it.
Fwiw, I hear you about checking out guitars at these mall-like outlets. To properly check out guitars and amps they need to be pushed a bit. There should be a monthly clinic at these f***ing stores that show how to properly check a guitar for flaws and attributes.

At the end of the day we are all just trying to make perfection out of imperfect materials...

Last edited by a moderator:
You purchased a new guitar that, by the dealer's admission, has issues. They don't owe you a fret dress, they owe what you paid for, a new guitar. If you're feeling any reluctance whatsoever in wanting to play it, I would recommend getting your money back. It's hard to gain confidence in a guitar that you've had to wrestle with to get playable. Just because the store has attempted to make it right, you owe them nothing. It should never have needed the work done that you've described in the first place.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your input.

The guitar is back in their hands currently, they have one last chance to get the setup and fret dress correct. I spelled out exactly what i expected in no uncertain words. They also know that if it returns to me uncapable of staying in tune and buzzing. Then I want my money back and want nothing more to do with that guitar. Which they agreed was fair.

I just want to thank everyone again, For their input and help.

My money has been returned, the guitar is going back to ibanez. The store decided that they didn't want to sell me the guitar anymore since it was so messed up. Everyones still being civil to each other and nobodys pissed off except for the time wasted.

My money has been returned, the guitar is going back to ibanez. The store decided that they didn't want to sell me the guitar anymore since it was so messed up. Everyones still being civil to each other and nobodys pissed off except for the time wasted.
And that's exactly how it should end. May your next adventure be not so...adventurous.

Back
Top Bottom