Looking for a vanity car....Porsche, BMW, etc.

seeu22

I know there are a lot of car buffs on this forum. I'm sitting on a little extra liquid cash right now and I'm thinking of buying a toy car to hang onto for a couple of summers and then sell. Key things I'm looking for is it must be fun to drive. Something that will hold it's value reasonably well as I'm only planning on putting a couple thousand miles on it. Something that is easy to get in north America and service.

I'm thinking a budget of 100k plus or minus 25ish k.

What are your thoughts?

Thinking something newer. I know that makes it tough on the depreciation side of things but......

Get an El Camino to drive down the El Camino Real. Or, as us gringos call it "The El Camino Real Road".

If you're looking for something fun to drive, will hold it's value, is dependable, has been around forever and will be around forever, ... it's hard to go past Porsche. I'd say any 911 could fit the bill depending if you want something older and classic or a more modern performance car. Autotrader has over 911 911's for sale in your price bracket 😀: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...numRecords=24&searchRadius=0&sortBy=relevance

IDK with what people are talking about in the near future with the economy I might sit tight with big expenditures. But if I had 6 figures to buy something me personally being partial to the 69 Camaro body style it would have been this ride! Nothing like old school American musical! I think this one was advertised at $108,000

P-car 2.jpg
I got this in ‘08 … 2004 turbo x50 cabriolet; used to track the snot out it 👍

IMG_6275.jpeg
My buddy just got this a short while ago.

BTW - I don’t think it’s about vanity … it’s about having confidence at 155 miles an hour to make a right hand turn. And then brake for a 75 mile an hour long 180° bend. Charge downhill at 125 miles an hour to make a 25 mile an hour hairpin turn. Squirt throttle for 50 yards, and another 25 mph hairpin left, squeeze the throttle to hit 110 on the back. 👊

Last edited:
IMG_0423.jpeg
I am a Maserati collector. I have a pair of these GTs with the Ferrari/Maserati V8

As an investment, they have worked out well for me.. but they are a giant money pit for most folks. You gotta love turning wrenches and doing your own maintenance.

My wife loves the 911s but they are tight to work on. I think classic American muscle cars are a more sound investment if you are planning on flipping it in a few years.

Personally I would say stay far far away from BMW, I worked at a dealer for 5 years and they really are imo POS cars, ive seen brand new M5's that never left the dealer needing new engines and in general they leak more oil that a 70's Harley.

Personally if I was gonna spend $ on a ride it would be classic American Muscle, 69 Camaro (my personal favorite) or something along those lines that has been properly restored

But that's just my opinion.

Any BMW out of warranty, god be with you. ;)

Agreed. I've done that and...no, thanks. Not again. They were a lot of fun to drive, but it was thousands per year down the drain to keep them running. I was kind of obsessed for a while....but I wouldn't buy one again. IMHO, if you're financing...calculate your payments...and then double it to pay for repairs.

If I were in the OP's situation, I'd probably buy a Cayman (or a Boxter if you like convertibles). They're fun, nimble, luxurious...and not so over-the-top fast that you feel bad driving them on the street....which is what I look for in a sports car. My only personal question would be whether it's worth double the price of a BRZ....which is also fun, nimble, and not too over-the-top fast for street...just not really luxurious at all. I could honestly see that decision going either way.

Buy used and pay half … my car bought for 50% of new w/ only 13k miles.

Funny story about Porsche service. I’d been at the track, went deep into a tight turn and rolled over an orange cone (turn in) at corner at 2 or 3 miles an hour.

The Porsche turbo air coolers are upfront with the drain pipe that hangs low. Apparently folding the cone in half was enough pressure to crack said plastic pipe.

Can’t run on the track with coolant leaking. Decided to drive it home to the dealer. As I rolled up to the garage door, the service manager was standing outside. He asked me what I needed.

I told him I needed to know if this was gonna be a $300 repair or $1000 repair. He burst out with a belly laugh… Asking me how long I had owned my car.

He replied with, “Don’t you know there’s no such thing as a $300 repair?”

Lol 😆

Werd 👍

Back
Top Bottom