Looking for a specific monitor recommendation

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a monitor recommendation based on my room space. My room is somewhat small, and not acoustically treated (yet) - it's 9' wide and 15' long, standard 8' ceiling.

Right now I'm running a pair of old entry level 8" first gen Behringer truth monitors- while they do the job, I always find I have to push the top end to get any amount of clarity, and it just gets a bit harsh, and overall I'm not that happy. I know you might be thinking that I should acoustically treat the room first, and while that's probably true I still want to up my game considerably. We dont come this far buying top end gear like fractal to run some old junk monitors - I want this to have that wow factor we are all after.

Right off the bat I'm thinking Adam A7X - I have read some pretty good threads on how much guys were blown away when they switched over from their old JBL's etc - but would the a7x be too much for my room? am I throwing my money away so to speak? maybe I should be looking into a 5" speaker for this room?

any input appreciated.

get the adams and then get some treatment for your room. if you're even remotely handy with tools it's super simple to make up some frames, hang some old towels inside and cover them with material. loads of tutorials on youtube to follow and it'll cost you almost nothing. if you stumble on some heavy velvet curtains, you can hang them up instead. pauly is right - the adams are an investment and will last you for many years to come

A cheaper option...

I recently purchased iLoud MTM monitors with no regrets. IMO, they're perfect for my situation - a small, untreated home studio / office.

I run my Axe III and computer USB into a Scarlett 6i6, then from the 6i6 into the MTMs. It's ideal for mixing or just playing along with tracks on my computer / Spotify.

The room calibration feature is cool, especially for someone like me with an untreated room.

Check out the reviews. And don't let the size fool you - they're legit.

I use Presonus Scepter S8s. They work great in “no-so-great” spaces and I have seen them selling new for as low as $450 each. Powerful, but honest, sound representation. The coaxial design simplified placement for me, as well.

A cheaper option...

I recently purchased iLoud MTM monitors with no regrets. IMO, they're perfect for my situation - a small, untreated home studio / office.

I run my Axe III and computer USB into a Scarlett 6i6, then from the 6i6 into the MTMs. It's ideal for mixing or just playing along with tracks on my computer / Spotify.

The room calibration feature is cool, especially for someone like me with an untreated room.

Check out the reviews. And don't let the size fool you - they're legit.

These look like a killer form factor! If they sound good they need more attention.

Anyway the a7x deal that I had lined up fizzled out , but a better deal came up on a pair of a5xs. Not the 7s I know, but I hear good things, and my room is small. I also like how the 5s have wall mount threads on the back, whereas the 7 does not.

Thanks everyone.

Let us know your thoughts
Thansk
Pauly

These look like a killer form factor! If they sound good they need more attention.

Anyway the a7x deal that I had lined up fizzled out , but a better deal came up on a pair of a5xs. Not the 7s I know, but I hear good things, and my room is small. I also like how the 5s have wall mount threads on the back, whereas the 7 does not.

Thanks everyone.

Back
Top Bottom