Looking for a power amp

Milco

Hey everyone, for a while I was using just the DI for live. But I want a better front of stage sound. Can anyone recommend a power amp that doesn't color the tone too much? Preferably tube.
Thanks a lot!

Tune will color the sound - that's just what they do.
Matrix amps have a tube like sound & are very light & cheap. Almost every Axe player uses them - check em out

Tune will color the sound - that's just what they do.
Matrix amps have a tube like sound & are very light & cheap. Almost every Axe player uses them - check em out
Thanks! I've heard good things about them. Have you tried VHT power amps?

For me, I have been using a Crown XLi 800 and I can't detect any colorisation of the tone (whilst bearing in mind that my ears are fairly damaged after 30 years of playing guitar).

If I had the choice I too would go for a Matrix but currently it's not high on my priority list.

ART pro make pretty nice class D rack amps, but Matrix is actually better. VHT PAs are nice too, even though they can be quite heavy, but if it's not a problem, it can be pretty good choice.
Things to NOT look at are Behringer PAs, they are really quiet and color the sound a bit.
As for Matrix amps, it will be better to purchase 2U unit. It is way quiter and doesn't heat that much (I own 1U matrix amp and it sounds like an old Pentium 3 PC).
Good luck!

Crown XLS2500 (2U) or Samson MXS2800 (1U). I've been gigging lately with the Samson because it obviously smaller, but still offers much headroom to spare.

Both amps are priced nicely, and are some of the best I've used so far (and I've gone through a myriad of amps, tube and solid state).

... but Matrix is actually better...
As for Matrix amps, it will be better to purchase 2U unit. It is way quiter and doesn't heat that much (I own 1U matrix amp and it sounds like an old Pentium 3 PC).
Good luck!

For me, who have 2U (Matrix 1000), it's my AxeFx II+ sounds like an old Pentium 3...
It feeds a Mesa 2x12 recto on stage (stereo). And y can play all kind of music (I'm in a cover band).

Power Station is the best power amp I've used.
Doesn't add much (if any ...) color.
Similar to Matrix but better feel and more natural, especially low mids.

Heavier than Matrix, and a 2U unit.
Plus: for best results High and Low Resonance needs to be neutralized in the Amp block. That doesn't work well if the same Amp block is also used for direct (FRFR) output.

The Carvin DCML or HD power amps are really good for the price as well. For less than the cost of a GT800FX, you can get a DCM3800L which has 3 times the power. I have a DCM1540L which they don't make anymore(no idea why) and it has been a great amp, very flat, powerful and quiet.

Power Station is the best power amp I've used.
Doesn't add much (if any ...) color.
Similar to Matrix but better feel and more natural, especially low mids.

Heavier than Matrix, and a 2U unit.
Plus: for best results High and Low Resonance needs to be neutralized in the Amp block. That doesn't work well if the same Amp block is also used for direct (FRFR) output.
Hi Yek,

i was thinking, if you shoot an IR through the power station and a cab, isn't that high and low resonance captured in the IR because the power station (or any tube power amp for that matter) was used, instead of a flat SS power amp ?
So that would mean you could turn off the low and high resonance for the amp and cab setup, and the IR would have these resonances baked in ?

I don't think so, because impedance changes dynamically when using a tube amp.
But TBH: I don't know.

Not for everyone but, I use one or two of these:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Bryston-2B-L...191352?hash=item5d6d636e38:g:sa0AAOSwo4pYjVfd

For quiet-ish jazz gigs where I want to be in stereo I use a single 2B with two cabs (1 X 12" with EVM-12Ls) for 60watts per side.
For louder gigs where I don't need to be in stereo I'll use one of them in bridged mono mode @200watts.
For louder gigs when iIwant to be in stereo I use both of them, bridged.

I also own a Matrix GT1000 and used to own an ART SLA1 as well.
As far as I know, there isn't a power amp that sounds any better than a Bryston.
Bryston's are the state-of-the-art.
But they are VERY pricey, new, and also very heavy.
But the illusion that I'm playing through various tube guitar amps is much stronger when I use the Bryston.

Hi Yek,

i was thinking, if you shoot an IR through the power station and a cab, isn't that high and low resonance captured in the IR because the power station (or any tube power amp for that matter) was used, instead of a flat SS power amp ?
So that would mean you could turn off the low and high resonance for the amp and cab setup, and the IR would have these resonances baked in ?

I don't think so, because impedance changes dynamically when using a tube amp.
But TBH: I don't know.
Maybe @FractalAudio could chime in ?

Not for everyone but, I use one or two of these:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Bryston-2B-L...191352?hash=item5d6d636e38:g:sa0AAOSwo4pYjVfd

For quiet-ish jazz gigs where I want to be in stereo I use a single 2B with two cabs (1 X 12" with EVM-12Ls) for 60watts per side.
For louder gigs where I don't need to be in stereo I'll use one of them in bridged mono mode @200watts.
For louder gigs when iIwant to be in stereo I use both of them, bridged.

I also own a Matrix GT1000 and used to own an ART SLA1 as well.
As far as I know, there isn't a power amp that sounds any better than a Bryston.
Bryston's are the state-of-the-art.
But they are VERY pricey, new, and also very heavy.
But the illusion that I'm playing through various tube guitar amps is much stronger when I use the Bryston.

------------------
Hi Joe,
Not to jump the thread, but is there a particular Bryston that is best...and the one that you are referring to/using? I have been doing some research on them but not sure how the models differed and if that difference impacted it's use with the Axe?

Thanks,
D

I use a Mesa 20/20 and 2:90 through regular guitar cabs...........sounds great to me....they do color the sound....in a good way.....but I am older and have never figured out the impulse stuff like I should have so I dont use the cab blocks. Good luck.

+1 for Bryston. I use a Bryston 3B in stereo - these things are beasts; built like a tanks but heavy!

I use the Bryston to drive a pair of Tannoy passive monitors (C10) when I want to play with cab blocks, or through a variety of 1x12 & 2x12 cabs when I'm feeling like using a standard guitar cabs. Sounds glorious either way.

No issues with a Matrix 2U GT1000FX (other than a bad Neutrik input jack on one channel which is fine as long as I stay Neutrik (and I do from AXE to GT1kfx) and not use 1/4". To be fair, Matrix has offered to repair this free of charge if I wish, but I haven't had time to let it go back to be repaired.) Super light for the loads of power and plenty loud at 500 watts per channel in stereo into 2 2x12s closed -back cabs with V30s. Quiet, powerful distortion free amplification tailored for guitar players (emulates some sag feel so I'm told).

+1 for Bryston. I use a Bryston 3B in stereo - these things are beasts; built like a tanks but heavy!

I use the Bryston to drive a pair of Tannoy passive monitors (C10) when I want to play with cab blocks, or through a variety of 1x12 & 2x12 cabs when I'm feeling like using a standard guitar cabs. Sounds glorious either way.

awesome, is there much difference between the 2B's, 3B's and 4B's or is it just power output?

Thanks,
D

Back
Top Bottom