Looking for a 22 fret, floating trem guitar, sugestions

SRDELE

Inspired
I have the guitar itch and some funds to make it happen (to a point ) I play ibanez guitars and have for a long time, s540, 550s, js1000 ect. So i am looking for another guitar that i can transition to right away. kind of hung up on the 22 fret thing on this one and floating trem as well. I am looking for something above the js1000. there does not seem to be alot of guitars in this market. I was looking at music man but the neck size has me staying away for now. am i missing a brand or model that gets me better than a js1000 with these two key things ? Any thoughts on carvin guitars. I know i can make one that will meet these need but have no history on carvin.

I just recently picked up a Washburn N4. I used it as my main guitar the past three shows and have been very happy with it.

A Charvel San Dimas? I've had an itch to build a fugly lime green Charvel-style Super Strat for a while now...

I have a Music Man Steve Morse and love it. I do not have the model with the Floyd, but there is one available. Tons of tonal options and a great neck/fingerboard.

I would second the Charvel San Dimas suggestion. The neck feel is different than ibanez and is compound radius. Having said that, I have one and love the feel of it.

To the original poster, I would suggest trying one out. I see you're about an hour away from me, but I'd be happy to let you try out my san dimas sometime if you can't find one closer to you. Mine is made in Japan and has beautiful factory fret dressing and rolled fretboard edges.

Last edited:
You already have one but i was going to say JS1000
They're great $1800-1900 guitars and used are selling mint for $600
best used guitar for the money

Ok I'm partial here but Carvin guitars are way under rated especially the C66 and CT line. If you know all the specs you want you can build or wait to come across one you like. Personally if you have a $1,800-2,000 budget you can put together a really nice guitar to your specs that will rivel any guitar that costs twice as much. They also have a return policy as long as you don't get to far off the options list. Of corse you can go full custom (option 50) and order most anything you like providing it's in the scope of what they can do. You do however wave the 10 day return policy but it does not effect Warrantee.

Check out the GIS thread here and you can see what they can do. I Can't say enough about Carvin guitars though I do have issues with the electronics (volume and tone Pots to be specific) but that my preference.

Here is the smoke'n CT66 I sold to Jon here on the forum.

And this is the CT324 I currently play with now. Not much to look at but I like the way it feels under my fingers.

I am heading down the carvin path. the c66 i can get @ 1,678.00 and the ct6 for 2188.00 arc top just a little over were i wanted to be but from all I have read on carvin this is realy a 3,500.00 dollar guitar if not for carvins buy direct thing. I am going to sleep on it and make a order tuesday. Never realy here much about carvin but in looking in to them nothing bad has come back just alot of happy and very inpressed owners. Thanks again for the help I looked at all that were brought up here. For the money I will try carvin. IT IS BUILT IN THE USA.

+1 for Carvin. The C66C I have is the best guitar I've ever laid my grimly paws on. I also have a CT6 that they did a custom color AND flame top match on a PRS color and top I desired. Awesome customer service and you are supporting a USA manufacturer as well.

PRS Custom 22 (and other PRS with 22 frets and trem). Used will be at or below your range, new will be more.

PRS Custom 22 (and other PRS with 22 frets and trem). Used will be at or below your range, new will be more.

This is true but they are usually pretty used, in need of a fret leveling and or re crowning not to mention finnish dings which is one thing PRS guitars are famous for. Not saying they are all like that but it seems the majority are in that price range and should be factored into the overall cost of the guitar. Both of the guitars that I have pictured I payed well under a $1,000 used.

This is true but they are usually pretty used, in need of a fret leveling and or re crowning not to mention finnish dings which is one thing PRS guitars are famous for. Not saying they are all like that but it seems the majority are in that price range and should be factored into the overall cost of the guitar. Both of the guitars that I have pictured I payed well under a $1,000 used.

Not my experience. I have bought several used that were in nearly new condition. I'm sure that there are trashed guitars out there, too, but there are plenty of nice examples in the range.

EDIT: sorry, I see the reason for the disconnect. You mention $1k, and yes, a PRS Cu22 would probably be rough at that price. However, the OP (in 2nd post) mentioned spending $1600-2200 for a Carvin, which at the lower end would net a nice used PRS and at the upper might fetch a new one on sale.

Dave

Last edited:
I have the guitar itch and some funds to make it happen (to a point ) I play ibanez guitars and have for a long time, s540, 550s, js1000 ect. So i am looking for another guitar that i can transition to right away. kind of hung up on the 22 fret thing on this one and floating trem as well. I am looking for something above the js1000. there does not seem to be alot of guitars in this market. I was looking at music man but the neck size has me staying away for now. am i missing a brand or model that gets me better than a js1000 with these two key things ? Any thoughts on carvin guitars. I know i can make one that will meet these need but have no history on carvin.

The EBMM Luke plays pretty similar in my opinion with 22 frets but has vintage style trem that doesn't stay in tune well. I don't personally recommend that one. Your right that there aren't many alternatives of production models. The Charvel San Dimas is one that comes to mind that would be a good option. Maybe a Suhr, you can get a Floyd I just can't remember if you can get it with 22 frets.

Another +1 on the Carvin. I have several. My DC-400 is my main stage guitar primarily because of the coil splitters. I have the Piezo/Wilkensen trem on the 400. Took just a tad of a tweak to get it set well. Very reliable. They are not really a full custom shop. I wanted them to rewire so I could use the phase rev switch to switch between the piezo and the magnetic pu's and they refused. To switch between the mag pu's and the piezo, I have to turn the "blend" knob. When performing, I really don't have that much time. Toggle would be much better. But, that said, it is still a great guitar fir the money, and I am mostly happy with it. My daughter named it "Proteus" because it can be anything. Kinda cool in a Greeky kinda way.

Back
Top Bottom