Look What Arrived Today

Images and Words is an epic album, tones good but not my favorite. Now if we talk about about Awake it's the best of both worlds. Also not a fan of Petrucci's later rectifier tones/albums.

Sent from Moto X

I think Images and Words was a Triaxis through and through. Probably in Yellow mode? (IIC+?)

There have been many threads on this subject on the JP forum and what I've taken away from them is this: No one seems to know for sure exactly what was used on I&W and Petrucci hasn't really been forthcoming with any info. Some say it was a Triaxis, while others point to the fact that Mesa didn't come out with it until after recording for I&W had finished (and that is of course countered with the suggestion that maybe Petrucci was using a Triaxis prototype given to him by Mesa). Some think it was a Mark IIc+, while some say it must have been the Quad Preamp that he did own at that time (this is the one I tend to think is most likely).

But no one has any real facts that I've seen, it's all been just speculation.

There have been many threads on this subject on the JP forum and what I've taken away from them is this: No one seems to know for sure exactly what was used on I&W and Petrucci hasn't really been forthcoming with any info. Some say it was a Triaxis, while others point to the fact that Mesa didn't come out with it until after recording for I&W had finished (and that is of course countered with the suggestion that maybe Petrucci was using a Triaxis prototype given to him by Mesa). Some think it was a Mark IIc+, while some say it must have been the Quad Preamp that he did own at that time (this is the one I tend to think is most likely).

But no one has any real facts that I've seen, it's all been just speculation.

So in conclusion, it's clear he used a Gorilla amp :shock

I think i saw an old picture from his I&W tour rig and it had triaxis preamps in it. But i am not sure. I must check it out on mybold pc.

I remember reading something years ago that he used a Marshall in the studio for I&W. I know he used a Dimarzio Tone Zone in the bridge on I&W.

I think i saw an old picture from his I&W tour rig and it had triaxis preamps in it. But i am not sure. I must check it out on mybold pc.

I&W tour is different than tracking guitar parts months prior.

He also used a JEM during the I&W tour and to track all of the clean parts on Awake.

Why doesn't someone ask him on Twitter?

The Live in Tokyo concert from the I&W tour was triaxis and signature Ibanez. Wasn't a fan on the tone.

Sent from Moto X

- It's common knowledge that Petrucci used a Triaxis on the I&W tour. What was used on the album itself is what's in question.

- The Marshall that has been speculated about is a JMP-1 Preamp. I've heard everything from it being used for just the fills on the song Metropolis, used for the whole song, and used for the entire album. Conclusion...............wait for it...................No one really knows for sure.

- It's also common knowledge that his pickups for the album were a Dimarzio Tone Zone (bridge) & Humbucker From Hell (neck). For Awake, and the next couple albums after that, it was a Dimarzio Steve's Special (bridge) & Air Norton (neck).

I hope I'm not coming across as some kind of know it all on Petrucci's gear and certainly don't claim to know everything, but I've been a member of the John Petrucci forum for over 13 years and you can't help but have this stuff drilled into your subconscious after awhile. :lol

haha :) I know what you mean shredi. I was on JP Forum from around 2004 as well. I gotcha...I know for a fact that i have a super rare shot of JP from pre I&W days with his famous BC Rich and in that shot you can see a boogie head in their rehearsal space. About the JMP 1 preamp, Yeah I read that alot too. It's all cool.

And here I was just getting ready to request an amp model of the MKV's MKIIC+ Mode through a MKIVs power section, everyone knows that sound is totally unique and unobtainable any other way.

Unless Cliff gives us his "user amp models" like he said. Maybe we could have the possibility to create amps with preamp and power amp of our choice. Sometimes dreams come true.

100Watt simul class?

Unless Cliff gives us his "user amp models" like he said. Maybe we could have the possibility to create amps with preamp and power amp of our choice. Sometimes dreams come true.

FYI------There is NO such Mesa IIC+ that is 100Watt simul class.... it was 60 watt, 60/100 or 75 watt simul class..

This only reminds me of how Petrucci always sounded way better when he used Rectifiers. :lol IMO IMO IMO!!!!!

Train of Thought, Octavarium, Suspended Animation. The holy tonal JP trinity. :D

I remember I was 16/17 and the first Dream Theater album I bought was Train of Thought. My guitar teacher said I would really like them, it took him a month to finally convince me to listen to a few songs. His rectifier tones will always hold a special place in my heart but I think BCSL had my favorite tones which I think a lot of different boogies were used to record that album.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom