Lonestar Overdrive parameter

Yea, I really didn't mean to cause any uproar - I'm a huge fan of the AxeFx and am so grateful that it exists as it gives me access to the experience of playing a lot of amps I otherwise would never have the opportunity to enjoy. I'm also an adult and will not lose any sleep over getting ribbed on a forum. I will admit that I was bummed about the response I got, only because I respect the company so much. Anyway, lesson learned!

Yea, I really didn't mean to cause any uproar - I'm a huge fan of the AxeFx and am so grateful that it exists as it gives me access to the experience of playing a lot of amps I otherwise would never have the opportunity to enjoy. I'm also an adult and will not lose any sleep over getting ribbed on a forum. I will admit that I was bummed about the response I got, only because I respect the company so much. Anyway, lesson learned!

In my experience, if you want to make a clean sound from an amp with an overdrive knob just turn the od down to 1 and then adjust the input drive, master volume, and level until you get what you want. I've made a nice clean sound with the Carol Ann OD2 using this method.

You guys do realize this "representative" of the company is Mr. Cliff Chase himself, the guy who designed the thing ?

Think what you want about him, but show me one other company where you can actually communicate directly with the head of the company if your anyone short of a major touring rock star.

I don't know how much time Cliff spends each each on these forums providing support, but its at least a few hours a day, and I know he's personally responded to questions I've had late at night, on weekends etc. That is all on top of working to keep creating these great new firmware updates we keep getting FREE of charge, and running an ever growing company, and having a family.

I'd say cut him a little slack as he's also the guy who's paying the bill for this forum we all get to freely post on.

Last edited:
On the real Lone Star, you have to flip a switch to clean up the Lead Channel, essentially taking the extra high gain stage out of the circuit ("Drive" on the amp, "Overdrive" on the model). That leaves you with a clone of the Rhythm/Clean Channel but with slightly higher available gain. The Lead channel is pretty saturated with the extra drive on in the circuit, even at lower settings on the knob. I doubt the switch was modeled, so try using the clean channel model and crank the gain for rhythm tones.

+1

I had a Boogie Lonestar for a long time, and it was easily the best tube amp I've ever owned. I finally sold it this year. Ever since I got the AxeFX I wasn't really using it at all, and that amp is far too awesome to be just sitting inside its flight case. The guy I sold it to LOVES that amp and is rocking it mightily!

The AxeFX Lonestar model is exceptional, and it's pretty difficult to detect any differences between that model and the amp itself. The Lead channel, as philipacamaniac points out, has the ability to "clone" the rhythm channel, or to voice it as a higher-gain lead channel. That is where the amp really sings. I play a strat, and typically ran the lead drive on the amp pretty hot (6-8), then backed down the volume on my guitar to 2-3, giving me a huge note bloom and sustain. To really open up a roaring solo, I'd roll the volume up to 5 on my guitar.
The gain / tone controls on Boogies are very interactive, and it's easy to accidentally roll down a gain stage, resulting in very low output. It's also easy to accidentally get too loud / aggro; I was dialing in a tone in the studio once and while adjusting the mic on the amp, I accidentally brushed my caboose up against the control knobs. When I flipped the amp off standby, I was greeted by the mating call of the Kraken. Alas, we didn't use that sound for the session, but the engineer asked to sample it for the studio library. My residual deal is that I get a beer every time someone uses that sound. HELLO RETIREMENT PLAN! :)

When did they put a Mesa Boogie Lonestar on there? I have version 10.0 but I must have missed it with all the updating....I too HAD a Mesa Boogie Lonestar (Blue tolex) , but I also was convinced that someone other than me could enjoy it and I could enjoy my axe fx II. So I sold it...GREAT amp though, but MINE was about 90 pounds with the casters on! My ears may miss it but my back does not! LOL!

Well if that really was the guy who invented this I'm really bummed because he probably thinks I'm an idiot. Which compared to him I suppose I am :)

Anyway, now that all that is sorted out here is my small modification to the Elegant Gypsy patch: Axe-Change - Download Preset - Elegant Gypsy on Fire - by Scrumpy

It adds an exp pedal control to go from clean to scream while hopefully maintaining a consistent volume. One thing that might have been cool is that the aforementioned Overdrive parameter is not controllable at this time :( so instead I use the input gain and level on the amp as well as the drive and level on the Drive fx.

I'm sure it can be frustrating for someone with a deep and intimate knowledge of a product to suffer the questions of fools ( people like me :) ). It would be even more frustrating in situations like the USB playback volume where it's clearly spelled out in release notes yet large numbers of people create new posts asking why they can't hear USB playback any more.

I didn't see it as a chastisement, more of a plea to use your noodle.

Well if that really was the guy who invented this I'm really bummed because he probably thinks I'm an idiot. Which compared to him I suppose I am :)

Anyway, now that all that is sorted out here is my small modification to the Elegant Gypsy patch: Axe-Change - Download Preset - Elegant Gypsy on Fire - by Scrumpy

It adds an exp pedal control to go from clean to scream while hopefully maintaining a consistent volume. One thing that might have been cool is that the aforementioned Overdrive parameter is not controllable at this time :( so instead I use the input gain and level on the amp as well as the drive and level on the Drive fx.

I've done the same with the Dumble models. Works great! Clean to mean with the foot pedal. Thanks for sharing the patch!

I've been around this forum for a long time & I think Cliff has a rather wicked sense of humour (so don't take it all so seriously folks). If you read it with that in mind then it is quite funny I think. I don't think he had any intention to slam the OP (and hey - you got a reply from Cliff!).

Things were less open to misinterpetation when the product had a smaller user-base so it was easier to recognise who was who when posting but it's good to see the brains behind the AXE still posting on the forum, particularly as the Company has now grown leaps and bounds since the early days.

Like they always say...use your ears....if there was no sound then that's easy to determine.justbcause I set my Mesa gain on 6 doesn't mean I set my axe gain on 6. i actually thought it was more of a tongue in cheek comment...not a belittleing.

I think some of the later posts in this thread are misunderstanding the original question. Some details appeared after a few posts, but basically a new user stated he had seen a new Overdrive parameter. When using the Drive knob in other amps, the sound didn't disappear completely. In this amp, he did the same with the Overdrive knob and the sound did disappear. He was only asking if this was the intended behavior or not, Overdrive compared to Drive. That's it.

It really doesn't have anything to do with using ears vs eyes or "how to tone for n00bs." It was only "should this happen when I do this?" And the answer is yes.

Back
Top Bottom