Bug? Lockup+high-pitched whining sound on AF3mkII

I mentioned I would be posting about it in my support email and it's quite clear FAS folks are very active here. I was trying not to be too demanding of anyone's time, but I think given the replies here, this isn't an isolated issue at this point.
We are unable to replicate the problem. We are trying. Until such time we cannot offer a suggestion other than exchange the unit.

We are unable to replicate the problem. We are trying. Until such time we cannot offer a suggestion other than exchange the unit.

Thank you very much for this information. I may still take you up on that if I can replicate it on the latest 25 build (I haven't been able to yet).

This may not prove helpful but, if there's any kind of build to flash you would be willing to send me that might generate better insight into what's happening on the unit, I would be happy to do anything I can to help others out. If that's not going to generate anything useful for you then I completely understand, but I did want to offer that since I seem to run into it more frequently than others.

For any additional context clues which may help, I have only triggered this playing bass guitar through it thus far.

I do embedded systems security for mobile and automotive for a living, so I am reasonably familiar with UNIX on ARM and similar architectures if there's anything like a shell I could access or gather logs/dumps for diagnostics.

I have only triggered this playing bass guitar through it thus far.
Its interesting you say this, as the only time it ever happened to me was while practicing my thumping on the low E of my 8 string... wonder if there's a correlation?

EDIT: Also, noticed my original thread is gone... did it get deleted due to redundancy or something?

Its interesting you say this, as the only time it ever happened to me was while practicing my thumping on the low E of my 8 string... wonder if there's a correlation?
Again, at the risk of sharing irrelevant info on this.. I use my Axe Fx primarily for 8 strings and bass. This hasn’t happened on my 6 string yet

If you don’t mind, I’m curious how old the units displaying the issues are? I’ve not yet personally been effected, but when I read the last paragraph about the initial RMA support suggestion, made me wonder if all came off the Fractal line in close proximity? Probably not but 🤷‍♂️. Hope each of you can get it resolved!
Mk1 here.

Coincidentally I was playing bass at the time too. Using the SV Type 2 amp. Could it be an issue with this model?

I had a few crashes on FW 25 on my MK1 when editing. Output lights on, no sound, unit still accessable, but not getting any sound again until a reboot.

Got to try the same presets in the next days and see if I can track it down. Happened randomly when turning knobs and playing.

It seems about some presets only, however all my presets are based on the same template and the things that change are the amp models.

Absolutly stable when not editing. Played a 3 hours rehearse yesterday with no hick-ups.

For those of us with these lock-ups - are you using custom-built presets? Are any presets / blocks etc. from Axe-Change or 3rd party vendors?

My lock ups were with a 6 string guitar and a modular synth rig.

All my presets are build by me. I have no 3rd party vendor anything.

Again, at the risk of sharing irrelevant info on this.. I use my Axe Fx primarily for 8 strings and bass. This hasn’t happened on my 6 string yet
I can tell you it has happened on my 6-string guitar. I have a video of it somewhere where it happened while I was recording a video for school. But it didn't happen frequently and I figured it would be near impossible to reproduce a random issue from a video.

I can tell you it has happened on my 6-string guitar. I have a video of it somewhere where it happened while I was recording a video for school. But it didn't happen frequently and I figured it would be near impossible to reproduce a random issue from a video.

If you still have the video, I'd send that to FAS. It would be the most helpful thing for them to at least try to replicate those conditions!

If you still have the video, I'd send that to FAS. It would be the most helpful thing for them to at least try to replicate those conditions!

From what I can gather given the behaviour, the unit just hangs and the noise is a side effect. I don't think seeing/hearing the unit crash has any real benefit to the FAS team as much as like, getting some signals from the unit itself right up to/including the actual OS hiccup.

From what I can gather given the behaviour, the unit just hangs and the noise is a side effect. I don't think seeing/hearing the unit crash has any real benefit to the FAS team as much as like, getting some signals from the unit itself right up to/including the actual OS hiccup.

What I mean is, if they can see at least some of what was loaded, what parameters were being tweaked at that time, it might help. I think there was one amp model where diming the presense would lock up the unit. Stuff like that.

Found my old video:

Lol, you can hear me say "holy sh*t" at the end.

I didn’t have that happen on my first real chance to play with the fx3 today but there was an amp that started to feed back, I had headphones on at this time, almost like a real amp. It was building slowly and when I muted the g string it stopped. I didn’t expect that from this unit wearing headphones. Sadly I was so excited bouncing around different amps that I don’t remember what amp it was.

I didn’t have that happen on my first real chance to play with the fx3 today but there was an amp that started to feed back, I had headphones on at this time, almost like a real amp. It was building slowly and when I muted the g string it stopped. I didn’t expect that from this unit wearing headphones. Sadly I was so excited bouncing around different amps that I don’t remember what amp it was.
Are your headphones open-back (or semi-open)?

Back
Top Bottom