Locking tuners on Ibanez Jem.

WIth a locking nut, you're right. But with a traditional nut, the tuners, how they're installed and how they're strung up can have a significant effect on tuning stability.

Cheap good tuners will stay in tune as well as expensive good tuners. Cheap crap tuners won't.

Well you kinda agree with me while arguing over semantics. How you wind the string and how the tuners are installed can affect stability. The tuners themselves, as long as they are not broken don't matter (ratio and slop have ZERO affect on stability, only how EASY it is to reach the desired pitch). A violin can be perfectly tuned and hold it's tuning using only friction pegs for christs sake. All a tuner is is a mechanical friction peg.

Yes, high quality tuners are nicer to use, easier to manipulate, provide easier fine adjustment, and look better. But they do NOT hold tuning any better than cheap tuners do. Tuning stability is all in the nut and studs on the JEM we are talking about here. All in the nut, studs, and saddles in a Gibson, and impossible on a strat! lol

It's not semantics. With too much play in a tuner's moving parts, tuning stability can suffer. As for friction pegs, they have almost zero play. That's why they're usually stable.

Well you kinda agree with me while arguing over semantics. How you wind the string and how the tuners are installed can affect stability. The tuners themselves, as long as they are not broken don't matter (ratio and slop have ZERO affect on stability, only how EASY it is to reach the desired pitch). A violin can be perfectly tuned and hold it's tuning using only friction pegs for christs sake. All a tuner is is a mechanical friction peg.

Yes, high quality tuners are nicer to use, easier to manipulate, provide easier fine adjustment, and look better. But they do NOT hold tuning any better than cheap tuners do. Tuning stability is all in the nut and studs on the JEM we are talking about here. All in the nut, studs, and saddles in a Gibson, and impossible on a strat! lol

Not really a valid comparison. Violins don't have pivoting tremolo bridges nor do players bend strings. The tension on a violin's pegs is pretty much fixed once it's tuned up. Tension on guitar tuners changes quite a bit with string bends and tremolo use. Not only that, but cheap low ratio tuners are more likely to slip. The higher the ratio, the greater the mechanical advantage from the key and the more string tension it will take to force the peg to slip backwards.

Hey if you don't believe me that's fine, waste time of money trying to improve your running stability for all I care. But I have built hundred of guitars, setup thousands and have cut 1000s of nuts. But reject my knowledge by all means, keep believing some doodad will solve any problem you may run across. For anyone else that wants their guitar too actually stay in tune, check the nut and studs.

Hey if you don't believe me that's fine, waste time of money trying to improve your running stability for all I care. But I have built hundred of guitars, setup thousands and have cut 1000s of nuts. But reject my knowledge by all means...
I'll leave that bait sitting on the hook. No one is questioning your experience.

...keep believing some doodad will solve any problem you may run across.
No one said that.

For anyone else that wants their guitar too actually stay in tune, check the nut and studs.
Truth.

Back
Top Bottom