loading a preset with wet delay

pauliusmm

Fractal Fanatic
i have a preset with wet delay, which i like alot but when i go to this preset from any other preset i get a really loud note from delay spilover. It fades quickly and i can use this preset normally, but when i load it it grabs the signal and makes it very loud for a second. its annoying cause i need to use this preset in a quiet section of a song.

You can go to the Global settings and disable spillover, of course doing that disables spillover for all presets. I don't know of any way you can initialize a muting of the spillover as you switch presets but maybe that could be done on a preset level so spillover isn't an all or nothing proposition. Some kind of filter on the end of the block chain that gets activated somehow upon changing presets...
Or maybe something in the beginning of the preset you are switching to could have a block that filters out spillover. Sorry, it's above my paygrade just tossing out ideas that might spur some more knowledgeable people to solve it.

if you want to keep spillover on and stop that, you can use delay 2 on the patch you are going to.

pauliusmm said:
javajunkie said:
if you want to keep spillover on and stop that, you can use delay 2 on the patch you are going to.

can you explain it further?
spill over works by having the same delay or reverb in presets you are switching between (ie; delay1 to delay 1 or reverb 1 to reverb 1)
the spill over will not work on different instances of similar effect blocks (ie; delay 1 to delay 2 or reverb 1 to reverb 2)

so to avoid spill over but use the same delay -use the exact same settings on delay 1 and delay 2 in different presets.....you can allow reverb to spill(reverb 1 to reverb 1) but the delay will not follow

I never understood this behavior. I already dislike the spillover implementation on the Axe-fx, but the fact that the delay is *MUCH* louder when switching to a new preset is simply ridiculous. Spillover should give you the same delay level (or slightly less, as a result of decay), not more... no?

I have several patches that behave that way when switching to it (one super crazy loud delay repeat before adjusting to a normal delay level) and in my book, this makes delay spillover unusable.

As a result, I do all sorts of complicated dual signal chain routing schemes to avoid switching presets mid-song.

Something tells me it shouldn't be that way...

Is the Axe-fx spillover implementation realy *that* uh, unconventional (to remain polite), or is there something really silly that I'm missing altogether? Turning spillover off (or using a different delay block that has the same effect of disabling spillover) to avoid this HUGE bumping delay repeat is not much of a solution.

yeah, fixing that would really make my life easier , not having to worry about giving a heart attack to fellow musicians on stage when they don't expect it :)

Dpoirier said:
I never understood this behavior. I already dislike the spillover implementation on the Axe-fx, but the fact that the delay is *MUCH* louder when switching to a new preset is simply ridiculous. Spillover should give you the same delay level (or slightly less, as a result of decay), not more... no?

I have several patches that behave that way when switching to it (one super crazy loud delay repeat before adjusting to a normal delay level) and in my book, this makes delay spillover unusable.

As a result, I do all sorts of complicated dual signal chain routing schemes to avoid switching presets mid-song.

Something tells me it shouldn't be that way...

Is the Axe-fx spillover implementation realy *that* uh, unconventional (to remain polite), or is there something really silly that I'm missing altogether? Turning spillover off (or using a different delay block that has the same effect of disabling spillover) to avoid this HUGE bumping delay repeat is not much of a solution.

Yup, this is an area where improvement is desirable.

I find this phenomena to be significantly more prominent when switching from a dirt amp to a clean amp. I have disabled spillover as a result.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, But check your placement of the Delay. The only time that I have ever had a problem with Delay spillover like that has been when I would go from a preset that has Delay 1 after the amp (I use Delay 1 as my main delay) to a preset that has Delay 1 before the amp. To me now it makes sense why there would be a loud clip on the delay more then one depending on how many repeats you have set up.
I turn the input gain down on Delay 1 when I have a patch that I don't want delay on but want it to spillover the form the patch I am coming from before hand. Also this is not the best but I have all of my presets have pretty close to the same delay settings. : say 1/4 on left and dot 8th on right, with around the same repeats. some of the differences i make are with the modulation settings and level. If i need something radically different add another delay with Delay 1 to get it. I do this so when I go from one preset to the next the delay trails are pretty close. Again this is not necessarily the best way to do this but It works for me.

I hope that this helps.

Larry

Larry Mitchell said:
Forgive me if I'm wrong, But check your placement of the Delay. The only time that I have ever had a problem with Delay spillover like that has been when I would go from a preset that has Delay 1 after the amp (I use Delay 1 as my main delay) to a preset that has Delay 1 before the amp. To me now it makes sense why there would be a loud clip on the delay more then one depending on how many repeats you have set up.
I turn the input gain down on Delay 1 when I have a patch that I don't want delay on but want it to spillover the form the patch I am coming from before hand. Also this is not the best but I have all of my presets have pretty close to the same delay settings. : say 1/4 on left and dot 8th on right, with around the same repeats. some of the differences i make are with the modulation settings and level. If i need something radically different add another delay with Delay 1 to get it. I do this so when I go from one preset to the next the delay trails are pretty close. Again this is not necessarily the best way to do this but It works for me.

I hope that this helps.

Larry
Hot damn, Larry, that may just be it!!! I never ever could figure out why it does it *only* from certain specific presets to some other very specific presets. I'm not near my Axe-fx right now, but your explanation makes sense. The delay from the first patch has a post-amp signal in its buffer, then you switch presets and it feeds *that* into an amp block! Makes perfect sense. Still doesn't make the Axe-fx implementation of delay spillover any better. but at least if I know what causes that issue, I can work to prevent it.

Thanks for the idea, I'll explore it further.

Meanwhile, I still have (in my personal wish-list) a "real" spillover implementation in the Axe...

+1 for improved spill over

I understand that it's a though task though, given the endless possibilities how a preset can be constructed.

Not applicable to my situation Larry as I have never put a Delay before the amp. Case in point though, I narrowed my situation down to be more Reverb specific as opposed to Delay although I rarely use one without the other so it may still be Delay being the overall culprit.

Bad news on my side too... Larry's suggestion that it may be a pre-amp-block versus post-amp-block delay issue also proves to be false here too. I have two presets, both with Delay1 after the amp and cab blocks, and switching from the 1st to the 2nd gives me a huge loud obnoxious first delay repeat. Oddly enough, switching from the 2nd to the 1st does not exhibit the same behavior.

Try as I might, I cannot explain (nor resolve) this issue, and that makes delay spillover mostly unusable in my case.

I had high hopes after reading Larry's suggestion, but no such luck. Back to square one...

I haven't messed with it in a while, but I think the real issue when I encountered this was that there was a volume discrepency between the delay blocks position in the two given patches.

That does not mean that one patch was louder than the other, it simply means that the signal was hotter going into the delay in one patch than it was in the other. For instance, if in one patch I brought the volume down by lowering the level in the amp block when I created it, but in the other preset I had lowered the volume at the master output level for the patch, I could have this problem when switching between the two patches (this assumes the delay block is after the amp block).

If you don't level your patch volumes the same way every time, this will happen. I'm bad about roughing it in with the amp block's level control and then fine tuning with the patch master (but sometimes the fine tuning isn't very fine at all really). Hence, I sometimes have this problem with my patch spillover.

D

dk_ace said:
I haven't messed with it in a while, but I think the real issue when I encountered this was that there was a volume discrepency between the delay blocks position in the two given patches.

That does not mean that one patch was louder than the other, it simply means that the signal was hotter going into the delay in one patch than it was in the other. For instance, if in one patch I brought the volume down by lowering the level in the amp block when I created it, but in the other preset I had lowered the volume at the master output level for the patch, I could have this problem when switching between the two patches (this assumes the delay block is after the amp block).

If you don't level your patch volumes the same way every time, this will happen. I'm bad about roughing it in with the amp block's level control and then fine tuning with the patch master (but sometimes the fine tuning isn't very fine at all really). Hence, I sometimes have this problem with my patch spillover.

D
Not in my case. I *always* use the amp block's level control to even out the levels in all my presets. I always leave the master output at the same level, religiously.

Having said that, there may be other blocks in my signal chain, after the delay block, that contribute to some minute differences in level... but I wouldn't expect those to make enough difference to explain the one HUGE delay repeat when switching presets. After all, anything after the amp and cab block is bound to retain unity gain, or thereabouts, I think?

In other words, that explanation still doesn't map. Still looking for an explanation...

Back
Top Bottom