Loaded down amp in the FX loop?

Adman103

Power User
Hi all! I've tried searching on this, but haven't come up with much...

Is it possible to attenuate a normal amp down to line level, and insert it in the axe 2 fx loop? I realize this could be dangerous, say if your attenuator is accidentally set to something other than a line level setting, but would this hypothetically work? Has anyone tried this?

I think it's an interesting and potentially dumb idea, but honestly, I'm too scared of blowing up my Axe to give it a shot. It's a lot of faith to put into an attenuator. Probably a dumb idea, but I thought I'd ask! Thanks!

Last edited:
The most dangerous part is not putting a load on the amp, causing tubes and things to overheat and fail.

Once loaded down, as you say, the effects loop send can be connected to input 2 on the axe.

The question as usual is, what are you trying to accomplish?

Last edited:
Is it possible to attenuate a normal amp down to line level, and insert it in the axe 2 fx loop? I realize this could be dangerous, say if your attenuator is accidentally set to something other than a line level setting, but would this hypothetically work? Has anyone tried this?
Yes, absolutely. Use a proper attenuator. I suggest: Mercenary Audio - Palmer PDI-03 Speaker Simulator or another like it. If you search around the forum for Ed DeGennaro's posts he was running a country rig like this for touring a few years ago using his ultra. A loaded down head (I think it was a THD BiValve maybe...) in the loop of the AxeFx and out to a VHT power amp and two stereo cabs.

It's not a stupid idea BTW. Perfectly legit way to bring in an amp tone to the matrix. Though, with tone matching now available, it's probably not as necessary as it was a few years ago. You could just tone match your amp (with the attentuator even) and then leave the amp at home.

Thanks for the responses!
I guess I have had this nightmare of something going wrong with the attenuator and sending a full signal from the amp into the axe, and blowing up the amp and the axe in one swoop. It's good to know that people have tried this before, although I'm sure you're right with the tone matching. Thanks again for the help guys!

Wouldn't you take your feed into the Axe from a line-level slave out from the attenuator? I mean, you wouldn't want to go from the speaker output of the attenuator...that just seems...dangerous.

This how I mostly use my axe fx. Not an axe fx II, just a trusty ultra but the principle should be the same. The key component in between the amp and Axe Fx for me is a Palmer PGA-04, which is load box that you can plug your head straight in to, and it can give you a line level version of your amp's output, and soaks up all the power (you don't need a cab connected). There are a couple of different load box units out there now. To give you an idea, my signal chain goes like this:

Guitar -> Amp head -> Palmer -> Axefx -> Monitors/FOH/Interface etc.

Essentially, my axe fx is doing my cab sims and post fx (delays, reverbs etc) and is also noise-gating for me, and then providing me with a nice stereo output that can go straight into PA when rehearsing/gigging, or straight into an audio interface when recording. Works well for me.

I don't use my amp in the loop as OP is suggesting, as I couldn't get the noise levels quite right with high gain, but it is surprisingly quiet with the way I run it. Noise when running an amp in the loop might be a non-issue for people with an Axe II, as I understand that it is a quieter unit for these purposes, although I have no first-hand experience with the Axe II so take that with a pinch of salt.

Most attenuators have a Line Out that you would use to feed the Axe, you don't want to use a speaker out, even from an attenuator - use a Line Out. Check the documentation for the attenuator, some have a dummy load setting or function as a dummy load when turned all the way down (when functioning as a dummy load you don't need a speaker attached to the attenuator just don't switch the attenuator out of 'load' mode without a speaker attached).

Back
Top Bottom