Live Show Routing Question/Wish - Power Amp Block

Haunted

Hey all! Proud new owner of an FM9 mkii. Great unit. Plays extremely well with my Mesa amp.

I have read the docs, watched tutorials and I am fairly comfortable putting together amazing configurations. However, I use this unit live and would love a way to:

Input 1 -----> Some Amp ---Delay etc-------------> Output 1 (into Return of the my amp POWER AMP SIM OFF)
|--->Cab---> Output 2 (into FOH with POWER AMP SIM ON)

I can't find of a way of doing so without duplicating everything.
Any ideas?

Thank you!

You could run a wet/dry rig with dry having one row with its own amp with power amp modeling turned off going into output going to the fx return, then have your normal chain on a separate row with amp 2 and power amp modeling turned on with wet fx going to cab sim and FOH.

Depending on your fx choices you could have both rows as described above with similar fx but cpu limits will be a factor. But I think at the least a drive , a reverb and delay for both independently will be just fine and not hit cpu limits.

You could run a wet/dry rig with dry having one row with its own amp with power amp modeling turned off going into output going to the fx return, then have your normal chain on a separate row with amp 2 and power amp modeling turned on with wet fx going to cab sim and FOH.

Depending on your fx choices you could have both rows as described above with similar fx but cpu limits will be a factor. But I think at the least a drive , a reverb and delay for both independently will be just fine and not hit cpu limits.
This gave me an idea... I wonder if I could have the two amps, sharing the same FX loop in "parallel" then splitting at the end, each to its own output.

Something like the image attached... Output 1 goes to my amp's return, AMP 2 has power amp off. CPU is at 38/40% with the FM9 Mk2T

Attachments

• FOH_Amp_Outs.png
    FOH_Amp_Outs.png
    44.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
This gave me an idea... I wonder if I could have the two amps, sharing the same FX loop in "parallel" then splitting at the end, each to its own output.

Something like the image attached... Output 1 goes to my amp's return, AMP 2 has power amp off. CPU is at 38/40% with the FM9 Mk2T
IIRC when I have tried that you get a blend of both amps going out of both outputs since they're both hitting that FX loop. I think I was able to defeat this by having each output only outputting either Left or Right and having the amps only send their respective outputs L/R. I felt it was a bit complicated and left lots of room for error.

Honestly with FM9T both reverb blocks have dedicated processors and delay is relatively inexpensive, and considering you're at 40% right now you have another 30-40% to play with, I would try doing 2 separate chains with independent FX and see where that takes you CPU wise.

Here's how I do it. Out 3 is a dry guitar output that feeds a vocal processor. Out 1 after the cab block goes to FOH and feeds my IEM monitor bus. Out 2, just before the cab block feeds a Powercab112+ usually run Flat/RAW to use just the raw guitar speaker (no tweeter). The MIDI block does control Powercab because some other patches and scenes have acoustic tones that do require the Powercab to be in Flat/FRFR mode.

You might be concerned that the cab block is late in the signal chain after a lot of effects, not right after the amp block. That's generally not a problem because typically the blocks after the amp block, the post-distortion effects, are mostly linear so it doesn't matter that much where the cab block is placed.
1717340794218.png

There are a lot of amp models that depend on the power amp sim on, such as Marshalls, Ac30s, and anything else that isn’t a preamp-distortion type of amp. I regularly run a single amp and effects chain and then split to a cab block going to output 1 (my FOH), and out 2 to (no cab) to a real power amp/cab. Same as Jim’s layout above.

Parameter wise you can play with the FRFR/poweramp cab setting in the amp block and the speaker/thump/compression characteristics to get a little more or less compression and overall response, and use the output eqs to tweak the signals as needed. The difference can be subtle,

Here's how I do it. Out 3 is a dry guitar output that feeds a vocal processor. Out 1 after the cab block goes to FOH and feeds my IEM monitor bus. Out 2, just before the cab block feeds a Powercab112+ usually run Flat/RAW to use just the raw guitar speaker (no tweeter). The MIDI block does control Powercab because some other patches and scenes have acoustic tones that do require the Powercab to be in Flat/FRFR mode.

You might be concerned that the cab block is late in the signal chain after a lot of effects, not right after the amp block. That's generally not a problem because typically the blocks after the amp block, the post-distortion effects, are mostly linear so it doesn't matter that much where the cab block is placed.
View attachment 141120
This includes the power amp modeling in both outputs, which is what the OP is trying to avoid. Your solution works relative to Cab Modeling...

No, because you're sending both the amp with and the amp without Amp modeling into the same path and then sending that (combined) output to both outputs.

I just configured two parallel routes... input 1 front goes into Amp 1 -> Output (amp's return), Amp 2 goes into FOH with Power Amp on. 50% CPU using a reverb and a delay in two identical loops. Sucks to have duplicate blocks which do the same thing but it works like a charm.

Thanks for all the great advice.

I just configured two parallel routes... input 1 front goes into Amp 1 -> Output (amp's return), Amp 2 goes into FOH with Power Amp on. 50% CPU using a reverb and a delay in two identical loops. Sucks to have duplicate blocks which do the same thing but it works like a charm.

Thanks for all the great advice.
On the FM9, Amps, Reverbs and Delays each run on a dedicated core. So CPU load should stay pretty low as they "don't count" towards CPU consumption.

Back
Top Bottom