Live Setup - describe yours - direct or mic

I don't really care whether the sound through FOH and on-stage is exactly the same. As long as it's close enough. ;-)

I have a traditional cab on stage (in most cases) because I prefer its sound and punch, and that makes me play better and enjoy it more. And that's what counts. At the same time I know that I have an excellent tone through FOH, even if it's not a mic'd version of my cab.
ahh i see. i just personally never understood. sounds good!

The DXR10 translates very well to the FOH.
I never think about it.

I dial in my tones on studio monitors and then make final tweaks during rehearsals.

At the shows, the FOH folks do their thing.
whoops sorry you 2, i meant the FOH + real Amp/Cab. i clarified above.

Reactions: yek
I go stereo directly into the FOH. On stage I keep a single 1x12 cab on a stand for feedback. When its not needed I can swivel it around away from me as I prefer not to have any guitar sound on stage. I used to do the same when I still had amp. Some play almost directly next to their amps, I always placed them as far away from me as possible. I hate unwanted feedback.

Monitoring is done via wireless in-ear, dropped off at the FOH or monitoring mixing desk. I very much prefer a clean silent stage. My dream is to have the entire band using in-ears and finally have that silent stage.

Output 1 to FOH, stereo if I can
Output 2 to stage amp [Line 6 Flextone II XL] o mic to FOH. I just use this as a stage monitor and only if I am playing a large venue

For smaller venues, just output 1 to FOH and IEM's. Most of my playing is for worship services. 1500 seat room. We use an Aviom system for IEM's.

The plan is to run stereo XLR to FOH, own IR's of my 1x12 or 2x12 with a royer and sm57, hard left and right, and output 2 to matrix to real cab...

story.php
How do you FOH + Real Amp/Cab guys deal with the different tones on stage and going to FOH?
They sound good mixed together its like running two amps onstage, just balance your cab behind you with the monitor in front of you.out 1 xlr stereo cab Sims on is FOH/ monitor i use ipad for my own monitor mix in our berringer x32, out 2 stereo cab sims off to matrix Gt-1000-4×12 marshall B 25w greenbacks and big stages i use 2-4×12 cabs

Last edited:
XLR from my acoustic amp or keyboard amp to foh. I started doing this because I sometimes used a guitar synth and could send both signals mixed the way I intended. In guitar-only situations I've tried going from the Axe a few times. I didn't like it because there was never a proper sound check or monitor setup.

Channel 1 mono to FOH, Channel 2 mono to RCF NX12SMA. This gives a steady feed to FOH that I leave alone once they're happy at the board, and a variable feed to my monitor I can change without getting on the floor.

I just use the axe fx for effects only using the 4 cable method. I haven't tried doing direct to FOH yet because the other guitar player in our band uses a head and cab. I bet it would sound weird especially on stage if only one of us had a cab. Also, most places we play at do not have a very good PA or stage monitors. Some places don't mic our cabs at all.

So my signal path is like this with the cab being mic'd:
guitar -> axe fx -> mesa triaxis preamp -> axe fx -> mesa 50/50 power amp -> cab

How do you FOH + Real Amp/Cab guys deal with the different tones on stage and going to FOH?
I set all my preferred tones to sound the way I want through my stage cab. Then I take the full preset and do a final EQ, until the tone is so close I'm happy. It has worked real well for me. I tried it the other way and could not get the stage cab to sound decent.

I use my DXR10s as my monitors.

Output 1 goes to the desk, output 2 goes to my monitors. The desk sends everything to my monitors except guitar so i just blend it in with the output 2 control.

Same here. It's like playing along with the tracks... lol

Output 1 XLR to FOH, stereo if the room and PA play nicely with stereo. If I'm not using anything in the loop, then I'll use Output 2 to my mono DXR10 for personal monitoring. If I need to use a stunt pedal in the loop then I'll just use the 1/4" Output 1

Pretty standard setup: Output 1 left XLR to FOH. Output 2 left to Matrix Q12, which gives control of onstage volume from the front panel. The only clever thing I do is use global EQ on Output 1 to match the sound from our Mackie SRM450s to what I hear from the Q12.

Small stages, where mic'ing anything isn't needed - Axe > Amp > cab.
Bigger stages, where the gear is mic'ed, but the audience still clearly hears the on stage sound, Axe > Mixer (Soundguy) and Axe > Amp > cab for stage feel.
If a stage relies only on mic'ed sound (Some bigger clubs or huge stages in festivals) - Just axe.
Only recently I've started to do mono, because I figured out that it makes more sense. Both, from the technical view point (Less cables and processing power, more free channels to do other stuff) and this: Most stages run mono, and if it's a big place with many speakers everywhere, splitting to L/R makes no sense.
Also, I use a personal mixer on stage, and IEM, because of a click track. (Often, I take one headphone out to hear my cab. I like my cab).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom