Live Setup - describe yours - direct or mic

Earl B

Do you go direct to FOH from Axe, mic a cab, or combination for your live gigs?
Describe your signal chain here...

I use mic (57) on a Marshall 4x12 with 35s plus direct.
Mesa 50/50 amp to cab.
We usually just use the direct signal for FOH.

I use my DXR10s as my monitors.

Output 1 goes to the desk, output 2 goes to my monitors. The desk sends everything to my monitors except guitar so i just blend it in with the output 2 control.

Do you go direct to FOH from Axe, mic a cab, or combination for your live gigs?
Describe your signal chain here...

I use mic (57) on a Marshall 4x12 with 35s plus direct.
Mesa 50/50 amp to cab.
We usually just use the direct signal for FOH.
My setup is Axe Fx channel 2 L & R sum'd to Mesa 2 Fifty, 2 Fifty channel A & B to 4 x 12 Mesa cab, Axe FX channel 1 XLR direct to FOH. I don't bother with stereo because most Pro PA systems are mono. So why bother with 2 cables going to FOH. My channel 1 has an EQ block at the end to tweak when needed for different FOH setups. I was using an E609 to mic the cab, but I find I like the direct better and it eliminates ambient noise and possible feedback from the cab mic.

OUT1 (XLR Left) to FOH, mono.
OUT2 (jack) >> Matrix >> guitar cab, mono.

Edit: I play stereo at home.

Output 1 (XLR) to FOH. the FOH guy wants mono, except I have stereo effects presets.
Output 2 (jack) to dB Flexsys 12 as an active stage monitor, to get the guitar cab feeling.

If I can afford some proper Ultimate Ears sometime in the future, I'll consider leaving the monitor at home. My bandmates prefer a silent stage, especially the keyboard player gets nuts, when I turn up the monitor haha.

OUT1 (XLR Left) to FOH, mono.
OUT2 (jack) >> Matrix >> guitar cab, mono.

I know you have covered this before but could you point me in the direction of the best posts or give some info on how to set up the presets for this?

Stereo direct to FOH (a pair of K12s on stands), and I monitor my guitar (and everything else) through a K10 wedge in front of me. I'm mixing FOH from the stage, so my monitor is a post-fader mix of everything on the mixer. That lets me hear the relative volume balance of everything and adjust as needed. I don't need to hear my guitar louder than everything else on stage. Other guys in the band get a pre-fader mix tailored to their preferences.

How do you FOH + Real Amp/Cab guys deal with the different tones on stage and going to FOH?

Last edited:
I don't really care whether the sound through FOH and on-stage is exactly the same. As long as it's close enough. ;-)

I have a traditional cab on stage (in most cases) because I prefer its sound and punch, and that makes me play better and enjoy it more. And that's what counts. At the same time I know that I have an excellent tone through FOH, even if it's not a mic'd version of my cab.

Usually neither. Bar band. Power amp and cab. i.e. no FOH, no mics. Turn it on an let 'er rip. Not ideal I know. (And not my choice--I've been begging guys to put guitars in FOH for years even for small rooms).

Back
Top Bottom