Live IR for Metal?

Snouttrout

Inspired
Do you use the same IRs for recording at home as you do for live performance? I play Metal with the JP2C amp model and a 412 Mesa Boogie Cab with a 57 and 121 IR mix (-9 db with the 121).

I have always struggled with liking the sound of my AxeFx through FR monitors when playing Loudly until recently. I normally just use a traditional cabinet and a matrix GT1000fx in the band room.

But finally bought a pair of CLR Neo mk ii FRFR powered speakers.

When I showed up to band I used the same IRs I normally use, and the band members commented (correctly) that it sounded way too bright. I was already doing a low cut at 120 Hz and a high cut at 5k Hz.

So I decided to try out the Petrucci IRs I bought. I tried them out at home at low volume but didn’t care for them because they were extremely mid focused and dark. However, I was blasting the CLRs in the band room when I stumbled on the 1x12 mix. Suddenly, the brightness was gone and the mids sounded really good.

Anyone else have this kind of experience?

I was intrigued by the Petrucci IRs when they were released. Seemed like, generally speaking, fans of Petrucci loved them and a mixed bag of opinions otherwise. They’re on sale now (50% off!)… so I’ll probably cave in about 5 minutes. Considering the level of effort and talent involved in their creation it seems like a no brainer.

https://tonemission.com/

To your question - I’m sure the Fletcher Munson Curve will come up and can account for what you are experiencing. I’m 99% a “the family is asleep” volume player so I can’t speak to gig volume but I can attest to downloading several Live/Loud mix presets (gift of tone etc) and find them to be dark at my levels.

I'm yet to come across a better 4x12 IR than ML Sound Lab's Best IR in the World. And decoding what that IR is has taught me a lot about IRs and speakers and micing in general when it comes to higher gain tones in a metal context. It's a 4x12 Mesa oversize with the "classic" V30s (~2000–2003 made) with a 57 and a 421, slightly misaligned to roll of the harsh frequencies a little bit.

Putting a 421 on there instead of a 121 is a big deal in my book because the 121 adds those screechy highs and boomy lows that you then have to get rid of with low and high pass filters. This IR doesn't need any of those since it is mic'ed up well.

A great trick to also cut through the mix in case you are getting lost is to do what you have described in your OP: throw in a smaller cab. I sometimes like to go the extreme route in this regard and blend in a 1x4 pignose that is included in the factory cabs. Many others on the forum have stated they use 2x12 and 1x12 (dyna)cabs for higher gain tones. I also feel that some of the legacy IRs (4x12s) are excellent for louder volume playing since they seem to be "darker" than other IRs; I'm not sure what's going on with them – and they can sound a bit heavy in the lower frequencies – but they seem to work quite well in the context of a live mix.

Suddenly, the brightness was gone and the mids sounded really good.

Anyone else have this kind of experience?

Exactly. 100db sound has to be fat bastard without teeth rattling highs. Same sound will be duller than the Florida Man at home levels. (Google your birthdate with the phrase ”florida man” to find your spirit animal.)

Back
Top Bottom