List Your Main Amps

Stratoblaster

Fractal Fanatic
After jumping from Quantum v3 -> v5 I've been going through amps and finding new favorites. I use 5 main presets for live shows (clean, bluesy, rock/70s tones, high gain, lead) and use X/Y in the amp block. I have many other presets with various amps/IR combinations I've saved when I find something that works, but these are my workhorses:

I'm currently using:

Clean X: 5FB Tweed (spanky clean)
Clean Y: Hook 1A (clean with an edge)

Bluesy X: Citrus A30 Drty (overdriven a bit)
Bluesy Y: Class A 30W TB (cleanish...dig in and it breaks up nicely; the AC30 in v5 is awesome)

Crunch X: 1987X (but I'm likely to swap the Hook 2A into this spot; I live here 80% of the time and use the volume control a lot on my guitar)
Crunch Y: JTM45 (less overdriven then X; a killer 70's type tone)

High Gain X: Euro Red (fat, hairy gain, but not too much; I use a pre-PEQ block to dial in the mids just right)
High Gain Y: CA OD2 (a different high gain color)

Lead X: CA Tucana Lead (singing, sweet, soaring articulate lead tone, I use a pre-PEQ for the mids here too)
Lead Y: CA Tucana Lead (different voicing/gain then X)

For cabs I use two of my standard cabinet IR mixes from the more recent FAS IR collections:

For clean/bluesy tones I use a mix of the Fender 2x12 SuperBrown IR's with the M160/4047 mics in cab X.

For rock/high gain/lead tones I use a mix of the FAS 4x12GB IR's with the M160/4047 mics in cab Y.

What are you guys using for your main amps these days?

Last edited:
Great idea!

Metal guy here, I've been playing the Engl Savage and the FAS Br00talz lately, not much time to play though. Very much looking forward to trying out my new Music Man Silhouette Special on the Hook!

Cleans: Shiver Clean, USA Clean, TX Clean
Crunch: Friedman BE, Vox AC30, Morgan, Plexies
High Gain: Mostly USA amps, Friedman HBE, Rectos, 6505, ENGL Savage comes to mind.

Clean - Suhr Badger 30
Low gain - Vox AC 15 w/TS 808 turned on with 0 bGain
Main Rythem - Atomica low
Lead - 5150 3 Red
Acoustic- Yeks awesome patch

I pretty much only play high gain, and I've been on the IIC++ lately. Occasionally the Recto 1.

I was never 100% satisfied with the Mesa Mark models in the past as they were always just a bit too smooth for me. On a whim, I cranked up the presence on the IIC++ to around 7 (I used to keep it pretty low) and it added a ton of bite and aggression. Definitely sounds right now.

Actually, I do also have a clean patch using the Lonestar clean model (I forget the model name) and it's really good. Never used that amp before now.

Ruby Rocket bright - low/mid gain
DC30 - low
Jtm45 - low
ODS HRM - mid/high
Buttery - mid
Plexi 100 - mid
Friedman BE - high
Atomica - high
Fryette - high

I keep coming back to Morgan AC20, 1987x, 1959, Dirty Shirley, Friedman BE, Tucana Lead. Usually Shiva clean if I want to play really clean but mostly just rolled back AC20 and Dirty Shirley.

Clean: Badger 20
Crunchy: Cameron High (that's what it used to be called; I think it's the CCV 2B now?), Plexi 100 High
High Gain: Atomica High, Plexi 100 High (with a fuzz face for an EJ-sorta thing)

These are the ones I used with every guitar I have, but there are maybe 10 other ones I use regularly as well, just not as ubiquitously.
-
Austin

Clean : shiver clean Hook A and USA Clean
Crunch : USA Clean/ TX Clean with BBC Preamp
Lead : FAS Hot rod Solo Rythm 88 Mark IIC++

My 00 patch is the Fender Concert. Brilliant pristine cleans and it just feels like a real amp. Dirties up nicely with a thick distortion - great for straight-ahead rock and blues.

I like the Trainwreck Rocket for slightly more modern rock sound.

The Hook is becoming a favorite. I also have Shiver, HiWatt and JTM45 patches that get real use, too.

Clean: Fender Vibrolux
Dirt: Marshall 50w Plexi jumpered model, boosted by an OD
Lead: Big Muff into Twin Reverb model

For cabs I use a Marshall 1960 4x12 in stereo mode. That's what I have at rehearsal so I'm sticking with it.

I currently use these amps in my show:
65 Bassguy Nrml
Deluxe Verb Nrm
Double Verb Vib
6G4 Super
Super Verb Vib
Vibrato Verb CS
Deluxe Tweed
1959SLP Treble
Plexi 50W Hi 1
Plexi 100W 1970
Brit AFS 100 2
Brit Super
Class-A 30W Brt
Class-A 30W TB
Class-A 30W Hot
USA Pre LD2 Grn
USA IIC+ Brt/Dp
Boutique1
Comet Concourse
Matchbox D-30

I use these four the most:
65 Bassguy Nrml
Double Verb Vib
Plexi 50W Hi 1
Class-A 30W TB

I always like trying new stuff, but I have settled on a few favorites.

Clean: Brit JM45, Suhr Badger 30, USA Pre Clean
Low/Mid Gain: Friedman Small Box, Friedman BE V1
High Gain: USA IIC++, USA Lead, Angle Severe 2

Plenty of honorable mentions on top of that, but I'll spare you all that enormous list.

As for cabs, OwnHammer HHC and ML Bulb Zilla are my favorite IR packs. Otherwise, I'm using a Matrix GT1000FX power amp and a Port City OS vertical 2x12 with a Vintage 30 and a Creamback H.

I'm not near my Axe FX, so I can't look anything up. But a couple I can think of..
JTM 45
Plexi 50W Hi 1
Badger 18
Swart Atomic Spacetone (Nuclear Tone?)

One of my main IR's is #54 (ML Marshall 4x12.. can't remember the specs). I'll often just use 1-2 presets with this IR when playing with a band. Keep it fairly simple and not change the base sound too much in those scenarios.

I tend to use the volume on the guitar for clean/crunch, maybe hitting a boost or drive to send it over the top. No high gain.. not my thing.

Marshal 410h
Divided by 13 FTR
5150 block letter

I get my PRS back next week after months out for repair :)

Back
Top Bottom