Liquid Foot LF+ 12+ tap tempo blink

claxxical

I know that the 12+ supports tap tempo integration with an Axe FX II, but does it blink anywhere showing the current tempo?

it is not really intended (although it does exactly that). The light is just a response to midi information being sent from the axe-fx. In this case tempo information. If you set send realtime sysex to tuner only on the axe-fx this will stop.

it is not really intended (although it does exactly that). The light is just a response to midi information being sent from the axe-fx. In this case tempo information. If you set send realtime sysex to tuner only on the axe-fx this will stop.

Ok thanks, so does it keep blinking forever or just for a few times when it receives the midi response and stops? I'm really used to having the tap tempo always blinking as all my delays are heavily based on song tempo. It's just reassuring to see that the tempo is right and would be really weird not to see. :)

Also, when you say it receives a midi response from the Axe FX, does the LF ever receive the averaged tempo from the Axe FX or does it use the one that it calculated on its side? According to this video, it looks like 2 different tempos are maintained. LF+ TAP-Tempo Display for IA-Slots - YouTube Not that it matters that much, just curious...

Ok thanks, so does it keep blinking forever or just for a few times when it receives the midi response and stops? I'm really used to having the tap tempo always blinking as all my delays are heavily based on song tempo. It's just reassuring to see that the tempo is right and would be really weird not to see. :)

Also, when you say it receives a midi response from the Axe FX, does the LF ever receive the averaged tempo from the Axe FX or does it use the one that it calculated on its side? According to this video, it looks like 2 different tempos are maintained. LF+ TAP-Tempo Display for IA-Slots - YouTube Not that it matters that much, just curious...

It always blinks.
The way it unintentionally works it the axefx sends out a midi command for every beat. The liquid foot doesn't understand it, the status light just lights up when ever it is receiving midi. The end result is the light blinks to the tempo the axefx is set at. You can also have the liquid foot blink to its own tempo and send that tempo the axefx.

It's intentional. It didn't do that prior to 1.55, and it's listed as a change in the change log. Before I bought mine I asked Jeff if he had this feature, and he said no, but he was working on adding it.

www.FAMCmusic.com • View topic - V1.55 JR+, 12, 12+, Pro+

It did for me on the LF 12+. I was one of the first to get one. It did on the lf pro as well. As matter of fact it did it on the original pro and jr it would mess things up (one of the reason turning off realtime sysex was implemented on the Axe-fx).

If you think about it, it has to. The status light lights up to midi commands (regardless of what they are) - change a preset on the axe-fx and the status light lights up on the lf. The axefx sends out a midi command on every beat, it has always been this way.
It may be that after 1.55 it is safe to turn on send realtime sysex to all, but it has always lit up to the beat.

It did for me on the LF 12+. I was one of the first to get one. It did on the lf pro as well. As matter of fact it did it on the original pro and jr it would mess things up (one of the reason turning off realtime sysex was implemented on the Axe-fx).

If you think about it, it has to. The status light lights up to midi commands (regardless of what they are) - change a preset on the axe-fx and the status light lights up on the lf. The axefx sends out a midi command on every beat, it has always been this way.
It may be that after 1.55 it is safe to turn on send realtime sysex to all, but it has always lit up to the beat.

True, it may just be echoing MIDI pulses without any specific code to handle it as tempo data -- I thought since (at least according to the menu item on the Axe) it's sysex data it did require some special work. I didn't realize it was there prior to 1.55, as I'd asked about it pre-sale and he said it was coming soon. I'm just saying "unintentional" makes it sound like it's some side effect that isn't officially supported, and whatever behavior is causing it might get cleaned up and removed in the future. I don't think that's the case. It's a feature that's supported, regardless of how it came about and how's it's implemented.

True, it may just be echoing MIDI pulses without any specific code to handle it as tempo data -- I thought since (at least according to the menu item on the Axe) it's sysex data it did require some special work. I didn't realize it was there prior to 1.55, as I'd asked about it pre-sale and he said it was coming soon. I'm just saying "unintentional" makes it sound like it's some side effect that isn't officially supported, and whatever behavior is causing it might get cleaned up and removed in the future. I don't think that's the case. It's a feature that's supported, regardless of how it came about and how's it's implemented.

There is really nothing to support in its implementation (other than not breaking anything), it just blinks to the midi pulses. From the LF you can turn if off or on. I didn't realize he put it in the release notes (good to know). He may have added code so it doesn't interrupt operations (which is likely).

Cool, thanks for the help guys. It would be nice if the tap tempo was more explicitly handled, like blinking the entire screen above a switch how the Mastermind GT does, but I'm glad to know that it is supported!

Cool, thanks for the help guys. It would be nice if the tap tempo was more explicitly handled, like blinking the entire screen above a switch how the Mastermind GT does, but I'm glad to know that it is supported!

I'd originally thought, before I actually got the unit, it'd be nice to have the full screen blink. But having used it for a few months now, the status light works great. I think having the whole switch LCD blink would be too much.

I would like status LED #2 on the top right corner of my LF+ 12+ to blink the current tempo of my Axe-Fx II. This is achieved by setting "SEND REALTIME SYSEX" to "TEMPO" or "ALL" in the I/O menu of the Axe-Fx II. The problem I have with using either of these settings is an introduced audible click through my guitar speakers. How do I eliminate this noise? Is this a grounding issue?

Last edited:
Old thread but relevant to my query:

I have tap-tempo working from my LF+JR+ to the AxeFX II but the status light on the LF+ doesn't blink. I've not yet been able to figure out why. Any suggestions?

Thanks! :)

Old thread but relevant to my query:

I have tap-tempo working from my LF+JR+ to the AxeFX II but the status light on the LF+ doesn't blink. I've not yet been able to figure out why. Any suggestions?

Thanks! :)

Check that the Axe is set to send all sys-ex data (tuner and tempo). I don't have my Axe up in front of me right now to tell you where the menu is, but it's there somewhere. :)

Check that the Axe is set to send all sys-ex data (tuner and tempo). I don't have my Axe up in front of me right now to tell you where the menu is, but it's there somewhere. :)

Thanks for the quick response! Yes - I have the AxeII set to send ALL sysex. I'm just getting started with the LF+ and haven't configured much yet. I have a seemingly partially successful auto configuration for the AxeFX II. I am able to switch effects blocks off and on (bypass/active) via switches configured for, and properly labeled for, the intended block. Preset up/down isn't working yet. The button I have configured for Tuner does display the LF's tuner in the large LCD display but isn't activating the AxeII's tuner (yet...) and no tuner activity is displayed on the LF+ when a note is played. If I select Tuner from the AxeII front panel after I select the tuner function from the LF+ then the tuner data is displayed on the LF+. Tap tempo is working properly from the LF+ but the Status LED doesn't show the tempo from the AxeII (yet.....).

I obviously have plenty to learn at this point but I have plenty of time to learn how to use the LF+JR+ so I'm pleased enough at this point. I would like to get the tap tempo status LED thing figured out though. Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

The next thing to check is what kind of cables you're using. You need a return path for things sent from the Axe to show up on the LF, and the fact that you're not getting tuner or tap tempo data coming back in but do have those enabled on the Axe makes me think you don't have a return path working. You need to use one of the following:

1. A single 5 pin cable, with all 5 pins wired. Note that while just about all MIDI cables will have 5 pins, they won't always all be wired. If you have a multimeter you can check. You should not use a second MIDI cable for Axe MIDI out -> LF MIDI IN in this case.
2. A single 7 pin cable, with all 7 pins wired, if you're sending phantom power through. Note that it's been reported that the rocktron 7 pin cable is not a true 7 pin cable. It has phantom and one direction of MIDI, but no return path. Again, with a proper 7 pin cable you wouldn't use a second cable. If you have the rocktron cable already, you might be able to use a second cable to work around its issues, but only if it's the rocktron cable.
3. A pair of 3 pin cables. When you're using a pair of cables, they *need* to be three pin. If they're wired on all 5 pins, even if they're a combined dual-head cable, you do NOT want to use the Axe Out -> LF IN connection, as that will actually create two return paths and confuse the unit.

Best solution, buy this for phantom, custom made in the length of your choice:
Best-Tronics Mfg., Inc.: MIDI7-XX

OR, if you don't want to use phantom, this is their 5 pin version. Though 5 pin versions can be found more easily (and perhaps cheaply). But best-tronics makes good stuff. I would highly suggest them for the 7 pin -- theirs is wired properly and well made. Phantom is very convenient (though you'll need an adapter to plug the LF adapter into the Axe, if you didn't order that when you got your LF). But if you don't want to do phantom, here's their 5 pin.
Best-Tronics Mfg., Inc.: MIDI1-XX

If you're confident you have the right cabling, and that it's working properly, I'm not sure what else the issue would be. But your symptoms do sound like they'd either be the SYSEX setting on the Axe, which you've checked. or your cabling.

The button I have configured for Tuner does display the LF's tuner in the large LCD display but isn't activating the AxeII's tuner (yet...) and no tuner activity is displayed on the LF+ when a note is played. If I select Tuner from the AxeII front panel after I select the tuner function from the LF+ then the tuner data is displayed on the LF+.

Try this for the Tuner IA programming

set switch type to: quick-tap

ON commands:

MIDI-command Axe-FX2 CC# xx 127
G-Tuner xx
MIDI-command Axe-FX2 CC# xx 0

where xx is the CC number of the tuner in the Axe-Fx

Try this for the Tuner IA programming

set switch type to: quick-tap

ON commands:

MIDI-command Axe-FX2 CC# xx 127
G-Tuner xx
MIDI-command Axe-FX2 CC# xx 0

where xx is the CC number of the tuner in the Axe-Fx

Also, Make sure that the midi channel name in global settings is set to AXE-FX2.( I believe only a couple of values work) I nearly jumped out a window trying to get the tuner to work properly!

Back
Top Bottom