Liquid-Foot Jr. Strangeness with Ultra

Dave Hoskins

Inspired
Hi Guys, I have a situation I need some help with. A few days ago I loaded my Axe FX Ultra with firmware 8.09. After this I started experiencing the following problems with my LF Jr.

1. There seems to be some kind of MIDI feedback happening from the LF to the Ultra. The MIDI in on my Ultra seems to be blinking close to the time of the Tempo/Alt Function light on the LF which is keeping the bpm of the Ultra. Also this causes a audible pop when my computer/Ultra/LF are all connected via MIDI. The pop goes away when the computer is out of the loop but the blinking MIDI in light on the Ultra is still there.

2. My computer seems to be having a hard time sending MIDI to the Ultra (because of the blinking MIDI signal from the LF?). My Axe Edit can make the Ultra respond but will not save changes to the Ultra. If I disconnect the LF there's no blinking MIDI in light and the Ultra and computer (editor) function properly.

I did install LF Jr. firmware 1.67 to see if that fixed the problem but there's no discernible change. Also, these issues were non-existent before my Ultra firmware upgrade. I was running 8.07 before. Any ideas what's going on and how I can fix this?

Dave Hoskins said:
FractalAudio said:
Turn off Sysex streaming in the Ultra.
How?
I/O menu
MIDI tab
Send Realtime Sysex, set to Off
:)

(for tuning, the realtime sysex was added in Axe-Fx firmware version 7.07, and for tempo, in version 8.08)

Will the tuner continue to display on the LF if I turn off sysex stream? I have seen the same blinking light but it doesn't bother me...

mitch236 said:
Will the tuner continue to display on the LF if I turn off sysex stream? I have seen the same blinking light but it doesn't bother me...
No.

For the OP... I've never had much luck trying to hook things up in a chain like that when SysEx/editing is involved. I wouldn't recommend it normally, but if you are aware of exactly what is sending what where and when (...and why... but not so much how...), and know how to toggle such things on and off (if the gear even makes it possible, like the On/Off toggle mentioned in this thread), then there's no real harm done and you can avoid infinite loops that don't give the other equipment time to think.

If.

gittarzann said:
David dP said:
FractalAudio said:
Turn off Sysex streaming in the Ultra.

Well, that's not really an option for those of us who use the LF's tuner display...

Well maybe that was the plan ? :idea:

Maybe, but I doubt it. It's just an incompatibility between the Axe-FX and the LF software.

Still, for those that won't use anything else than the Sysex tuner, it would be great if Cliff divided the "Send Realtime Sysex" parameter into "Send Tuner Sysex" and "Send Everything Else That The MCF 101 Can Receive" ;)

Otherwise, if the "Send Realtime Sysex" was itself accessible via a sysex command, one could program the LF to send that sysex ON command right before accessing the tuner, and the OFF command right after closing it...

When Cliff added the send realtime sysex to the Axe...my LFP could no longer autoload the presets, I turned of the sysex parameter and loaded the presets..turned it back on and the tuner works fine.

Maybe Jeff needs to do some modification to the firmware to eliminate the problems people are having.

gittarzann said:
When Cliff added the send realtime sysex to the Axe...my LFP could no longer autoload the presets, I turned of the sysex parameter and loaded the presets..turned it back on and the tuner works fine.
+commonsense (probably not *so* common sense with some obscure bits of MIDI, but... meh... it sounded good :p )

you don't try to start your car while you're filling the gas tank

Back
Top Bottom