Liquid Foot Jr. and the Boss FS-5U for Tap Tempo

Ventanaman

Inspired
I am trying to use my Boss FS-5U wired into Exp 1 to control the Tap Tempo. I have tried almost every configuration I can think of, but I am having no luck. I am not a midi noob, but I am obviously missing something here.

Has anyone done this before and can shed some light on the programming?

Your help is appreciated

javajunkie said:
Did you calibrate the switch?

Nope. :oops: I was assuming that a momentary switch did not need calibrating because it just sends a single "on" message. I guess I assumed wrong.

I will try that and report back. Thank you for responding - I know you use the FS-5U for TT and almost sent a PM. Your help is greatly appreciated.

I just calibrated the switch and I still not able to control the tempo on my delays. :? There must be another issue.

Java, if not too much trouble, could you post how you have your LF and Axe programmed to do this? I am really at an impasse.

I don't have my axe in front of me, but I believe there is an actual "Tap Tempo" portion of the control menu. So, instead of setting up External 1 with the midi number of the switch, you need to set up "Tap Tempo" as the midi number you're sending. Also, to make sure you have it set to the exact midi channel as the switch, use the learn function.

I have pedal 1 set to send cc# (don't remember which #), MIDI channel AXE-FX (that is my MIDI Device 1 Name), type is one shot or momentary (I forget which). I made sure the axe-fx was set to the same on tap tempo.

To calibrate it I went to global area in Liquid Foot until it came to the expression 1 calibration menu. I help down the FS-5U and let the calibration LED on IA1 flash three times. I lifted my foot of the pedal and let it flash until the flashing LED got to IA3 the hit the FS-5u pedal again. I saved it and got out of the menu.

If I want to set the delay to follow tap tempo, set the tempo parameter in the delay to the subdivision I wish.

Sidivan said:
I don't have my axe in front of me, but I believe there is an actual "Tap Tempo" portion of the control menu. So, instead of setting up External 1 with the midi number of the switch, you need to set up "Tap Tempo" as the midi number you're sending. Also, to make sure you have it set to the exact midi channel as the switch, use the learn function.

There is but I don't think it works with external 1, only IA's. At least it didn't used to. I haven't check for a while. The editor doesn't support that function for external 1 (directly).

Thanks Sean.

I think I found another hiccup in the process. I was using a TRS cable to connect the FS-5U to EXP1 on the LF. I checked back in the manual and it looks like I need the HOSA splitter since the FS-5U is wired TS and the LF only accepts TRS.

I'll report back after getting the splitter.

Ventanaman said:
Thanks Sean.

I think I found another hiccup in the process. I was using a TRS cable to connect the FS-5U to EXP1 on the LF. I checked back in the manual and it looks like I need the HOSA splitter since the FS-5U is wired TS and the LF only accepts TRS.

I'll report back after getting the splitter.

Yes. That is huge. You need an insert cable. Sorry, I though about putting that but I assumed you had it hooked up that way. So much for assumptions:oops:

You will need to recalibrate when you get that.

So I received the Hosa splitter and and hooked the FS-5U into Exp 1, re-calibrated the pedal and still no dice. :(

I know it is me and not the equipment. Can someone who has their Tap Tempo setup correctly please walk me through the steps. I really feel like an idiot. :oops:

Does exp 1 on the LF need to be setup to send the CC# or the special tempo command? Do I need to modify my tempo in the delay block with an ext controller that corresponds to the temp CC#? I have made a ton of changes, so I am really unsure of where the issue is located.

I thought I was close, but now I seem really lost.

Ventanaman said:
So I received the Hosa splitter and and hooked the FS-5U into Exp 1, re-calibrated the pedal and still no dice. :(

I know it is me and not the equipment. Can someone who has their Tap Tempo setup correctly please walk me through the steps. I really feel like an idiot. :oops:

Does exp 1 on the LF need to be setup to send the CC# or the special tempo command? Do I need to modify my tempo in the delay block with an ext controller that corresponds to the temp CC#? I have made a ton of changes, so I am really unsure of where the issue is located.

I thought I was close, but now I seem really lost.

I'll give you the programming I used in the morning. Can you see if it the tempo is getting to the axe-fx. Go to the tempo menu on the axe-fx tap the tempo and see if it responds.

You set the tempo to a rhythmic sub division in the block like 1/4, 1/8, dotted eighth

Thanks Sean - your help is really appreciated. I have my delay usually set for 1/4 or dotted 1/8, but I am not getting any indication that a MIDI signal is being received by the AXE to set the tempo remotely.

I look forward to your settings.

I followed these instructions:

How do I efficiently setup tap tempo. What options do I have? Here are two simple ideas: 1. Most people have been setting up an IA switch as MOMENTARY. They are placing a
MIDI?OFF messages empty. This in effect acts one?shot button as it will send a MIDI TAP message every time you press the button down. Tap to the tempo and you are done. You MUST place the IA switch into Momentary mode, not the default STOMP mode.

2. Use an expression pedal. If you have a Normally Open Pedal Button, then you can
device instead of a normal expression pedal. Although the Liquid?Foot was not designed to accept those pedal buttons, you can insert the pedal button into the TIP cable of a mixers INSERT “Y”. Place the Insert cable's male end into the expression port, set the expression port to one-shot mode, and calibrate. DO NOT insert a pedal 1/4" TS (mono) connector in the expression pedal jack - you will cause damage to the unit. An insert cable will solve your issues if you don't have a TRS button switch. Any button pedal that can connect tip/sleeve, w/o connecting ring will work fine. Please contact support should you need help or info.

So set the expression pedal1 on the LF to send a Controller changer command w/ the cc# that the axe-fx uses for tap tempo, set the expression pedal 1 on the LF to one-shot type (momentary may work too).

When you go to the axe-fx tempo menu you should see the tempo change with the tap.

Sean,

So I followed your instructions to the letter, checked, double checked, and triple checked my settings and I am still not able to send MIDI commands via EXP 1.

I'm lost. I was able to setup EXP 2 to control volume via my Mission pedal without any problems or assistance, so I know it is within my realm of understanding. Either I am having a hardware problem or I am missing something very simple.

I will try to contact Jeff and see if he has any suggestions.

Hello I got a quick question. What type of Hosa Splitter are you talking about. I need to get one so that I may use The FS-5U. I have a stereo cable, TRS on one side and it is split like a Y on the other side. I think I can use it but which one do I use. Any info would help alot. Thanks. JT

Maybe I can help on this one...

I've just ordered a Rocktron Midi Xchange and I mailed their support to know if I can use a FS5U for some CCs plugged into one of the expression input. Here is the answer:

You would have to re-wire the switch with a stereo jack and run a stereo TRS type cord to the Midi Xchange but it can be done. I do not know of someone making a switch like this. The switch would need to short the tip to the ring then in the other position short the sleeve or ground to the ring.

I'm going to make my own lil' CC button, it'll be my first DIY project. And it might be an aswer for you too.

BTW kudos to the Rocktron support, an answer by e-mail in 3 minutes :shock:

I followed Voes link did exactly as it directed me and it works perfect. I really appreciate all the help. Thanks a million. One more question, is there a way to set up the LFJR to display the tapped tempo light with this set up?

Back
Top Bottom