Line6 annoucement

I may be mistaken but it appears to me that as far as the L3t Powered Speakers are concerned L6 is bending the truth in calling it a three-way cab. It may have three speakers & three amps but it has two identical 10" woofers and a 1" tweeter (no midrange), and that makes it a 2-way cab NOT three as stated.
Got to call you out on this one.. you ARE MISTAKEN!!
They are NOT "bending the truth". Do you even understand the definition of multi-way cabs ??
If a speaker cab has three separate amps (tri-amp) fed by a crossover that splits the incoming signal into 3 distinct frequency ranges -even if all 3 speakers happen to be the same size - it's a 3-way cab!!

A "woofer' - as you call it - is perfectly capable of handling mid-range as it is LF frequencies. If you read the L6 specs, they even state that LF2 (the 2nd 10" speaker) has a variable crossover range. Personally, I think LF1 being crossed at 250Hz is too high, but hey..

Tough price point IMO:

Mixer: $2,500
Speaker: $1,200 each
Sub: $1,200 each.​

That's $7,300 for a mixer and pair of speaker/subs and does not include iPad or monitors. Ease of use might be great but if I'm willing to invest that kind of coin in a PA, I might be willing to invest some time in learning how to set it up, particularly if the skill is transferrable to other PA systems.

That doesn't discount the value of a touch interface for a mixer but it might be a tough sale to make.

Tough price point IMO:

Mixer: $2,500
Speaker: $1,200 each
Sub: $1,200 each.​

That's $7,300 for a mixer and pair of speaker/subs and does not include iPad or monitors. Ease of use might be great but if I'm willing to invest that kind of coin in a PA, I might be willing to invest some time in learning how to set it up, particularly if the skill is transferrable to other PA systems.

That doesn't discount the value of a touch interface for a mixer but it might be a tough sale to make.

I agree if the mixer is as good as they say it is but they use sub par components then it is over priced from the get go, same goes for the speakers. At this point all Line 6 is really known for is Amp modeling and effects not PA systems. The fact that they have a 0 track record in this market is a crap shoot at best and to shell out $7,500 on an unproven PA system would be ballsy for sure.

I played with one of the mixers a bunch while they were doing the demo (it wasn't hooked up to anything.)

Parts of the touch-screen interface were cool, but I have some serious reservations about it when used in a typical club environment where there is no dedicated (or even amateur) sound person. Especially when it comes to the emergency tweak-that-fader-or-eq to get rid of feedback or whatever. Getting to eq and levels required multiple touches and having to pay a lot of attention to precisely what you were doing/touching. In other words, most functions required going down the rabbit hole as opposed to just grabbing fader #7 and pulling it down.

Additionally, the interface for the eq and effects setting were of the labels in the corner, push a dot randomly in the direction of a label. Very imprecise if you knew you just wanted to pull something down at 8k, for example.

Finally, the speakers when used as monitors have all of the nice, bright red knobs facing the audience. No provision for locking them out or protecting them to keep less-than-sober bar patrons from deciding to 'fix' the mix (Yeah! Crank it up dude!!.)

The smart integration is nice.

TT

I think even if the line 6 mixer doesn't nail it, it will at least start the wheels turning for a reinvisioning the mixer

I wonder how many IPad have been stolen at clubs over the past year when musicians use them at gigs?. Seems like a huge risk. I thought it was also silly for Digitech to put an iPad in a guitar floorboard. I wonder how many guitarists slammed their foot into it during a gig? iPads a significantly underpowered compared to laptops - its like we went back 8 years in processing power.

Anyway, I actually did buy the Digitech floorboard, but only because I had a client that wanted to send a cease and desist letter regarding use of their trademarks. It sounds good, but I only hook up the iPad via a 30pin extension cord.

Mackie had an iPad based mixer (dock) as well. Another company had a keyboard controller with integrated iPad dock. You're going to see boatloads of that kind of thing in the future, I'd say.

Biggest issue is that you'd have to have multiple iPads to use that stuff. Not that Apple would be complaining, of course.

TT

Back
Top Bottom