Line/Mic level pad

steve_k

Inspired
Needing to pad the line level signal from Axe to the FOH consoles that don't have a pad reduction.

What are you using?

Thanks......

Or turn down level on the front panel....

Going to a Mic level input, I can barely turn the axe output knob up from absolutely zero. It's just way too much signal because of the sensitive Mic Level setting on the mixer.

A DI box would help, using the 1/4" outs, but in a pinch, killing 12 dB from the output via the Global Graphic helps a bit. Then I can get the Output up to about 9 o clock.

Or turn down the trim at the console. It's a rare mixer that can't be turned down far enough to handle a line-level signal.

Or turn down the trim at the console. It's a rare mixer that can't be turned down far enough to handle a line-level signal.

box mixers like this don't have a trim control only level. so if you plug into an XLR, you are forced with a Mic Level connection, and with a line level device, you can barely turn up the Level knob and it's already way too loud.

yamahaemx512scfront.l.jpg

there are other non-box mixers with this same problem and the not-so-occasional problem of no mixer, plug into the house stereo system.

box mixers like this don't have a trim control only level. so if you plug into an XLR, you are forced with a Mic Level connection, and with a line level device, you can barely turn up the Level knob and it's already way too loud.

yamahaemx512scfront.l.jpg

there are other non-box mixers with this same problem and the not-so-occasional problem of no mixer, plug into the house stereo system.
They should be plugging an Axe-FX into one of those inputs with the line/mic buttons. Vocals don't need those, and should be moved down. I use a smaller version of the same thing at home for band practice, only mine is branded "PHONIC" instead of Yamaha.

@Chris: I've been fortunate enough to never run into one of those.

@BrainalLeakage: You're right, but I can imagine situations where other folks have already eaten up the switchable channels. Then you're stuck cutting signal by any means possible.

Vocals don't need those, and should be moved down.

but many people use the Compression (yellow knob) for vocals. regardless, just showing an example where there are actually situations where there is no options (when you need to use an XLR cable for long cable runs).

but many people use the Compression (yellow knob) for vocals. regardless, just showing an example where there are actually situations where there is no options (when you need to use an XLR cable for long cable runs).

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand, I've been around, I was just point out what "should" be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be honest, the design, and feature sets of most lower end mixers annoy the piss outta me. Both powered, and passive. They really don't accommodate the lower income musician, in most cases.

Back
Top Bottom