Line Level...The Axe III...The Matrix

No, I’m not saying that. I don’t know whether its input is balanced or unbalanced. You’d have to look at the manual to know that.

You asked whether there’s common-mode rejection on an unbalanced input. And there isn’t.

The manual is not explicit...but I believe the 0dBu input sensitivity simply implies this.
And I do like you Rex but I swear I didn’t say that or at least did not mean that! :)

Anyway I called Matrix today and spent a good deal of time talking to Andrew who is very nice and very full of life. The input is unbalanced...end of story. I should’ve called Andrew, Clif was right, I read too much into the manual...and blah, blah, blah...but!.. now we know! Thanks guys!

Having used the GT1000FX for many, many years, I can attest to the fact it really does sound better when turned up to 2 c'clock or more.

Hey Yek, is this an overall output volume thing or a Matrix volume knob thing? In other words, if you turn the Matrix volume up past 2 o'clock, while also turning the Axe-Fx down to keep volume levels the same as they were, does this still apply?

Also, in what way does the amp sound better when the volume is set to 2 o'clock or higher?

Hey Yek, is this an overall output volume thing or a Matrix volume knob thing? In other words, if you turn the Matrix volume up past 2 o'clock, while also turning the Axe-Fx down to keep volume levels the same as they were, does this still apply?

Also, in what way does the amp sound better when the volume is set to 2 o'clock or higher?
It's a Matrix volume knob thing. For equal output volume, it sounds "better" with the Matrix volume knob beyond 2 o'clock.

I'm not sure I can really quantify "better"... There is some subtle difference.

I'm glad I saw this thread. I noticed similar on my GT800 when cranked up to 2 o'clock, but at loud volumes. I thought it was a deficiency in my FRFR cabs at lower volumes. Since this isn't a tube amp, it didn't cross my mind to lower the output on the Axe for lower volume playing. Doh! I was about to buy a different FRFR cab!

But, we still haven’t brought full clarity to the intention of this thread.
->The Matrix’s input is unbalanced therefore only half of the +4dBu signal makes it in
-> +4dBu = 1.228VRMS
-> half of the +4dBu signal = 0.614VRMS

————————————————————————-
matrix input sensitivity = .775vrms
axe set to 4dbu(1/2 signal used) =.614vrms
axe set to -10dbv = .316vrms
————————————————————————-

No quite sure why you are quoting me there with that reply? The OP asked about setup between axefx and matrix.

Cheers
Ant
The original post is about matching levels between the axe and matrix. Axe III has an output setting (+4db and -10db). The Axe III comes set at -10db. If you just hook the two up and don't change that setting the matrix is getting a much lower signal.

Back
Top Bottom