Line 6 Helix

I own both -- the AxeFX II, and the Helix. Agree that the Helix doesn't *quite* match the AxeFX in terms of tone, but for the gigging guitarist who needs a stage tool rather than a studio one, the trade-off is worth it for one simple reason: USER INTERFACE. I'm not a complete idiot, but in 4 years of owning an AxeFX, I barely managed to scratch the surface of what it can do--because it's impenetrable. Some of you are probably very technically minded, and that's great. AxeFX is an astounding tool for you. But I can say truthfully that I am already sounding WAY better live with the Helix than I ever did with the AxeFX, and it all boils down to how easy the thing is to use.

That being said, now that Helix has taught me a thing or two about signal path design, I'm tempted to go back into my AxeFX and see what I can do...but the ease-of-use case for Helix can't be overstated. For $1500, I have a powerful signal processor that--while it might not meet the high standards of the Axe community--fools a LOT of people into thinking it's a tube amp, and a remarkably intuitive control center for my entire rig. AxeFX demands $2k+ just for the box...and then, if you dare to use a controller other than Fractal's...bad times abound.

Like I said, I'm sure the engineers here can manage in the live setting with the AxeFX. But even given the [modest] tradeoff in sound...I doubt I'll go back.

I own both -- the AxeFX II, and the Helix. Agree that the Helix doesn't *quite* match the AxeFX in terms of tone, but for the gigging guitarist who needs a stage tool rather than a studio one, the trade-off is worth it for one simple reason: USER INTERFACE. I'm not a complete idiot, but in 4 years of owning an AxeFX, I barely managed to scratch the surface of what it can do--because it's impenetrable. Some of you are probably very technically minded, and that's great. AxeFX is an astounding tool for you. But I can say truthfully that I am already sounding WAY better live with the Helix than I ever did with the AxeFX, and it all boils down to how easy the thing is to use.

That being said, now that Helix has taught me a thing or two about signal path design, I'm tempted to go back into my AxeFX and see what I can do...but the ease-of-use case for Helix can't be overstated. For $1500, I have a powerful signal processor that--while it might not meet the high standards of the Axe community--fools a LOT of people into thinking it's a tube amp, and a remarkably intuitive control center for my entire rig. AxeFX demands $2k+ just for the box...and then, if you dare to use a controller other than Fractal's...bad times abound.

Like I said, I'm sure the engineers here can manage in the live setting with the AxeFX. But even given the [modest] tradeoff in sound...I doubt I'll go back.

Bs, if you can't get a great tone/patch going with the Axe in just a few minutes, you're either doing it wrong or don't know what you want. The Axe is far from impenetrable.

Whsts so bad about using a non-fas midi controller?

Nothing.

I've posted numerous times about my successful (not ideal, but definitely good function) use of the stock FCB1010 midi pedal. If you want plug and play easy, get the MFC101. If you have a solid understanding of MIDI spec, you can save a ton of money buying a less expensive albeit less full-featured MIDI pedal. Or, if you want to replace the FCB1010 eprom, you can get a third party eprom and wind up somewhere in the middle.

yeah I use the modded FCB1010. Stomps 1 to 5 control presets, stomps 6-10 give me scenes The only problem is that the LEDs on the scene stomps are completely useless. I don't care because I know what each scene sounds like anyway.

Thanks for the info. I never quite understand how people get so uptight when anyone gives there honest opinion of the Axe FX up against another unit. Thanks for your input I’ll have to check out the unit when I get a chance.

Max

I never quite understand how people get so uptight when anyone gives there honest opinion of the Axe FX up against another unit.
If the post starts with BS and the forumite title is "fanatic" you can safely disregard. I bet you'll live longer and happier :D

Bs, if you can't get a great tone/patch going with the Axe in just a few minutes, you're either doing it wrong or don't know what you want. The Axe is far from impenetrable.

What a needlessly nasty response. Everyone's experience can be quite different and if the OP found the AxeFx to be difficult, that's his experience and it is as valid as yours.

And if you paid attention, he did focus on the "live setting." When it comes to using the Helix live, there really is no contest. If you can memorize all of your presets, scenes, x/y settings for every preset etc..., more power to you. The UI on my FX8 is one reason I'm using one preset for almost everything and, therefore, not using the device to it's potential.

Last edited:
There are some talented people for sure at Line 6. But they will always be held back by there corporate overseers. Until they free themselves of their insatiable need for more money they will just be a company with products made for the masses. I've owned several of their products and rarely ever do they update the firmware, they just come out with another product and make you buy it.

They claim that they have changed with this product and they are going to update the firmware. Only time will tell but for me I have all of the sounds that I want in the axe.

Now that the axe sounds as good as it does hopefully the creators will start focusing on UI for their products. I like the axe as well as he MFC but programming both is not as quick and easy as it could be. I am seriously considering selling off the MFC because of its lackluster ease of
Programmability. That being said I'm getting some pretty awesome tones out of the Axe and wouldn't think of sacrificing tone quality for a line 6 product at least for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, they're about to drop the fourth firmware update, they have new drive pedals coming soon etc.... It appears that Yamaha is what's given them the ability to put out this product so that seems to be a good thing in this case. I disagree that they've been held back by their corporate overseers. Quite the opposite. From what I've observed, L6 seems to be operating as a small company with large corporate ownership. And the L6 Helix team seem to be gear geeks with traits similar to Cliff and his team.

You criticize the sound of the Helix, but I wonder if you ever played one yourself. I'm getting some exceed sounds at this point and even my initial tries weren't as far off from the AxeII as I expected. I expect we'll here more and better sounds as people get some play time and programming time under their belts. Same as the history with the Axe, although I've heard more than enough Axe users with horrible live tone.

You admit that the Axe interface needs work. That's good. I think the AX8 dedicated knobs are a step in the right direction, but they won't make a huge difference at a gig if the information on the screen isn't great. You also seem to admit that the Axe didn't sound as good in the past. Well, Helix is on V1.

I just think it's pretty early to say that Helix users will be giving up anything in a live setting. In a studio, the differences would be more apparent. I'm looking forward to receiving my AX8 and hearing what my ears tell me and what my eyes tell me while playing at a gig. When you consider what you get for the price of these units ($1199 for my Helix), it's pretty remarkable. I can see keeping both for a long term learning experience.

Well, they're about to drop the fourth firmware update, they have new drive pedals coming soon etc.... It appears that Yamaha is what's given them the ability to put out this product so that seems to be a good thing in this case. I disagree that they've been held back by their corporate overseers. Quite the opposite. From what I've observed, L6 seems to be operating as a small company with large corporate ownership. And the L6 Helix team seem to be gear geeks with traits similar to Cliff and his team.

You criticize the sound of the Helix, but I wonder if you ever played one yourself. I'm getting some exceed sounds at this point and even my initial tries weren't as far off from the AxeII as I expected. I expect we'll here more and better sounds as people get some play time and programming time under their belts. Same as the history with the Axe, although I've heard more than enough Axe users with horrible live tone.

You admit that the Axe interface needs work. That's good. I think the AX8 dedicated knobs are a step in the right direction, but they won't make a huge difference at a gig if the information on the screen isn't great. You also seem to admit that the Axe didn't sound as good in the past. Well, Helix is on V1.

I just think it's pretty early to say that Helix users will be giving up anything in a live setting. In a studio, the differences would be more apparent. I'm looking forward to receiving my AX8 and hearing what my ears tell me and what my eyes tell me while playing at a gig. When you consider what you get for the price of these units ($1199 for my Helix), it's pretty remarkable. I can see keeping both for a long term learning experience.

You will know right away, once you get your AX8. It will become clear pretty fast. I'm not sure how long it takes to make something usable on the Helix, and granted you will get faster at it. But I bet it will take you less time to get something pleasing on the AX8 with AX8 edit. Fractal has come along way, since I started coming here back in 2010.

Back
Top Bottom