Line 6 Helix Reviews Are Starting to Appear...

As for people on the fractal forum continually beating the helix drum, its nauseating, i have the money to buy both, and ill always go for the better gear, fractal might have fan boys, but this is the product i "chose" to own
The company is top notch (fractal), the continual dedication to their product is outstanding, as a betting man, my money is with fractal

Until i play one, and get AB reviews, these threads are pointless, and are just noise

Best post in this topic and the other Helix topic! I don't get the bashing of the Helix or Kemper either. It's good for everyone to have some competition. Although Line 6 shamelessly copied Fractal if you ask me. Some AB reviews will come in time so better wait for that instead of judging a machine from a sucky and annoying Andertons video.

IMO anyone judges a modeler through youtube videos (and most listen probably over laptop or phone speakers) doesnt even understand what all axe fx is about...its more about feeling, it reacts and feels like an amp...and these videos of helix sound good, there are bunch of other software modelers, videos of them if dialed in good, sound also great...but before you get your hand on them and plug your guitar in, you will never know if they feel/react the right way or not...

even jeff beck used a pod on an album, no body would know if he didnt talk about it. you can make aything sound good in a daw...

Last edited:
One thing for sure - Paul Hindmarsh is a MONSTER player (the Line 6 guy) - he could make a cheap amp sim on an iPod through a transistor radio sound like the voice of god....

Best post in this topic and the other Helix topic! I don't get the bashing of the Helix or Kemper either. It's good for everyone to have some competition. Although Line 6 shamelessly copied Fractal if you ask me. Some AB reviews will come in time so better wait for that instead of judging a machine from a sucky and annoying Andertons video.

I agree 100%..............And Bodde your post is right there with it also....both really good posts..........

I was going to mention the copy fractal stuff too, but I guess it's fair game in this world...I hope everyone really understands now why Cliff is so concerned about "reverse engineering" and hasn't jeopardized that for a few wishlist requests..

I want to add the wishlist requests by forum members were fine....they asked..........he answered...way it should be.

Stratman68 sorry if offended, I've used HD500 Boss GT 10 100 GR33 55, VG99, and used all the forums. Gibson, Fender, Kramer and more. Not accusing OP of starting a riot, but we all started humble, cheap cheese grater action copy guitars and crap amps. I consider myself lucky and priveliged to afford an Axe. But all forums included some seem to sneer and knock everything else which is below their own standard, the owner of an original 59 laughs at the remakes, the Marshall tube expert dissing Fractal cos it aint real. This is what I consider a fan..fanatic..or fanboy

Products come and go, if it's good for the user and their pocket, then good on them. I've pretty much made this statement on all forums, including Line 6 who diss the Boss products...but then we laugh at them. I said before there are more guitarists who aren't lucky to have an Axe and join this forum to have their own gear mocked. Peace

I understand all that - I only meant the "word" itself, it is just a word that's been thrown around here since I can remember --April 2009 for me....whenever anyone defended the axe (and yes other forums also-Sonar, Boss, I know. But that doesn't make it good or OK just because it gets used all over. And I am only concerned about this forum... You seem like a nice guy and your points in the thread were good-. I hope you understand where I am coming from.

Whoever is responsible for the physical design and the color LCD screen deserves a raise - Those two aspects will likely move a lot of units for Line6.

That being said - everything coasts money. So, did the cost of having a color touch screen prevent using better converters and other components critical to producing sound?

This and the Atomic unit appear to be aimed at the "mid-price" market that has been empty for a while. Now, a product exits between the lower cost Line6 stuff (as well as Zoom and Digitech) and Fractal/Kemper land.

As a use, I prefer Fractal. However, as someone who just likes to watch the way business decisions play out, I am wondering if that middle ground will prove worthwhile.

Sometime ago I read a few posts from a Line6 employee where he explained why Line6 (at that time) did not have any interest in producing a Fractal/Kemper level modeler. His argument was Line6 had the resources (financial and personnel) to easily produce something along the lines of Fractal.

However, as someone who has to work within a large bureaucracy on a regular basis, I'm not so sure. In terms of innovation and quickly updating products or researching new ones, a smaller corporate structure (where Fractal has the biggest advantage) usually means faster and better.

Again - not the "F" word (fanboyism), just my view of the Helix from a casual "wonder if this will work out for L6" perspective.

from the limited things I've seen and heard about the Helix, I was pretty impressed..
I've never been fond of Line6 tone.. but this thing seems much better to me..

all said and done, I'll not be changing my rig though..
I've invested far too much time and effort getting it to where it is..
and in all honesty I'm extremely happy with what I have.. I have by far the best tones and functionality I've ever had to date..
so if I were to buy another FX-unit, it'd be another Axe-II mkI to be a backup of the one I have

respect to Line6 though..
their new unit looks powerful and seems to sound pretty good to me..

I understand all that - I only meant the "word" itself, it is just a word that's been thrown around here since I can remember --April 2009 for me....whenever anyone defended the axe (and yes other forums also-Sonar, Boss, I know. But that doesn't make it good or OK just because it gets used all over. And I am only concerned about this forum... You seem like a nice guy and your points in the thread were good-. I hope you understand where I am coming from.
Ha ha nah it's all cool, when I had no money no job, my setup was a Boss Heavy Metal and transister amp and had sound engineers laughing at my setup, when I had a Boss GT 10 the HD brigade laughed..now whois laughing? But gear gets better and better. we are the winners

I'm an Axe FX lover but I have a few back up units laying around like the Boss GT10 and a couple of eleven racks and some other misc stuff. I'm thinking about selling this stuff and picking one up when its available. I like the idea of having everything in the pedal, don't get me wrong I love my Axe and use it everyday! But love having new things and it seems pretty cool.

Whoever is responsible for the physical design and the color LCD screen deserves a raise - Those two aspects will likely move a lot of units for Line6.

That being said - everything coasts money. So, did the cost of having a color touch screen prevent using better converters and other components critical to producing sound?

This and the Atomic unit appear to be aimed at the "mid-price" market that has been empty for a while. Now, a product exits between the lower cost Line6 stuff (as well as Zoom and Digitech) and Fractal/Kemper land.

As a use, I prefer Fractal. However, as someone who just likes to watch the way business decisions play out, I am wondering if that middle ground will prove worthwhile.

Sometime ago I read a few posts from a Line6 employee where he explained why Line6 (at that time) did not have any interest in producing a Fractal/Kemper level modeler. His argument was Line6 had the resources (financial and personnel) to easily produce something along the lines of Fractal.

However, as someone who has to work within a large bureaucracy on a regular basis, I'm not so sure. In terms of innovation and quickly updating products or researching new ones, a smaller corporate structure (where Fractal has the biggest advantage) usually means faster and better.

Again - not the "F" word (fanboyism), just my view of the Helix from a casual "wonder if this will work out for L6" perspective.

Lots of assumptions in your post about how the L6 product will sound. Sure the screens will cost more etc, but L6 / Yamaha also will benefit by being able to buy components on a larger scale thereby reducing the cost of each component. Add in the lower cost of Chinese manufacturing and it's not a given that they used lower quality components that adversely affect sound quality.

As for the smaller company producing faster and better, I don't know how long Fractal worked on its tech before producing the first Axe, but Line 6 took over 4 years before announcing the Helix which is against a long background in the industry. So, not fast for sure. But better is so subjective. To me, the UI for programming and gigging is light years better than Fractal's but others will disagree. Sound wise is too difficult to tell yet. I've heard plenty of lousy Axe demos and the same for the Helix. That Anderton video is not good. But others have been really good. I would not be surprised if an Ax8 sounds better, but how much better remains to be heard. And if the difference isn't huge and I can get where I want easier with a Helix due to the interface, then better might mean something different to me.

Of course the reviewers are going to freak out and call it awesome, but what does everyone else think?

I've stayed out of the majority of the discussions for the simple fact that I have no need for the Helix. My biggest concern with Line 6's new processor is that a bunch of people go to Guitar Center [or other] then plug the Helix in to an FRFR powered cab and say "Holy crap! I can get a ton of amps/cabs modeled and it sounds like the real thing!". Then I'm in the store checking out DJ lights and say "yeah, I've had this for years now with the Axe-FX". The 'debate' ensues, reasonable discourse is achieved and we move on. The only part that irritates me is that you know it's going to be the "new" thing when in reality, us privileged few digital pioneers have had this for quite some time now.... Just irritating and I don't really know why :lol

Line 6's moderate amp/cab modeling may sound phenomenal being so-called "revolutionary" to those who choose that vendor and good for them [honestly]. I am more than happy with FAS and their products with continued ingenuity/product improvement. It just works and FAS' commitment to excellence/superiority has myself committed to their product offerings.

Pretty decent review of the device I would say though but at the end of the day, *shrug*, meh. ;)

I think "pretty decent" will most likely sum up the Helix. More than likely it is not a bad unit, but it is ultimately the disposable pro-sumer gear most L6 modeling/fx devices are.

When I look at the prices for used standards and ultras, I'm amazed at how they have held their value. I don't buy gear based on resale, but it's nice to know a fractal product doesn't quickly become an expensive paperweight nearly overnight. That is not a statement I can make about Line6 products.

At best, what I am hearing so far in clips suggests line6 may be getting close to the 11r in the quality of amp tones.

Lots of assumptions in your post about how the L6 product will sound. Sure the screens will cost more etc, but L6 / Yamaha also will benefit by being able to buy components on a larger scale thereby reducing the cost of each component. Add in the lower cost of Chinese manufacturing and it's not a given that they used lower quality components that adversely affect sound quality.

. To me, the UI for programming and gigging is light years better than Fractal's but others will disagree.

How would you know this? Because it's pretty? So you base your statement on a youtube video-Lightyears? Really...

Back
Top Bottom