Line 6 G30 Wireless Guitar Transmitter

yek said:
I'm using its bigger brother: G50.
Works fine, best wireless I have ever used tone-wise.

The guitar-transmitter cable (mini XLR) isn't great. Mine broke and I've seen several other reports.
But you can buy and use the Shure cable instead.
I'm using the G50, too. But I got the Lava cable upgrade cable, and couldn't be happier.

I have some Qs, particularly on the G90 system. I tried the Stageclix system which was nice, but gave some ghost notes in the high freqs so it went. However, reasons why I chose that system over the line 6:

1. Its a guitar bug system. I use 4 guitars so cant attach the transmitter to a guitar strap. How does the transmitter fit to a belt, pocket etc? Id much prefere a bug system so not sure on this one.

2. How does it perform with rechargeable batteries. I wont use a system that doesnt work with them. The Stageclix was a chargeable bug - that plugged into the receiver for charging. If battery life is short - or the system doesnt work with rechargeables I wont uue it.

3. How good/bad are the DACs. Every componant in the Axe-FX contributes to good sound. If the Line 6 DACs are inferior your sound is going to degenerate in this area. Its also not good to go analogeu-digital-analogue-digital which is what is happening. It would be nice to offer digital outs fromthe back of the receiver (on the G90 rack unit at least) which could directly feed the Axes digital input, therefore skipping a whole D/A conversion stage.

paulmapp8306 said:
I have some Qs, particularly on the G90 system. I tried the Stageclix system which was nice, but gave some ghost notes in the high freqs so it went. However, reasons why I chose that system over the line 6:

1. Its a guitar bug system. I use 4 guitars so cant attach the transmitter to a guitar strap. How does the transmitter fit to a belt, pocket etc? Id much prefere a bug system so not sure on this one.

2. How does it perform with rechargeable batteries. I wont use a system that doesnt work with them. The Stageclix was a chargeable bug - that plugged into the receiver for charging. If battery life is short - or the system doesnt work with rechargeables I wont uue it.

3. How good/bad are the DACs. Every componant in the Axe-FX contributes to good sound. If the Line 6 DACs are inferior your sound is going to degenerate in this area. Its also not good to go analogeu-digital-analogue-digital which is what is happening. It would be nice to offer digital outs fromthe back of the receiver (on the G90 rack unit at least) which could directly feed the Axes digital input, therefore skipping a whole D/A conversion stage.
1. I too checked out the StageClix system first, for the same reason. I too was unhappy with the sound. I attach my transmitter directly to my belt and it never falls off. (The only downside is that since it has a metal clip it has wrecked my leather belt so I'm now looking to buy another belt. :D)

2. I've never used rechargeable batteries so I couldn't say. Fortunately it has a battery-life display so I can always tell when they need replacing in good time. I can get about 2-3 gigs out of one set.

3. IMO you're over-analyzing this. Just use your ears. I have not noticed any degradation in the tone using the Relay (which was not the case with StageClix). FYI, I never use the "Cable-Tone" settings.

paulmapp8306 said:

1. I have my transmitter on my guitar strap. I switch guitars during shows as well. When I switch guitars, I mute my output (go to my tuner via my midi controller), unplug the guitar from the transmitter, then take the strap off of the guitar (I use Schaller strap locks and removing the strap takes about 2 seconds) - then I reverse the process with the new guitar. Takes about 10 seconds to change to a new guitar on stage.

2. I don't know about rechargeable batteries as I only use new alkaline batteries for each and every show. I had previously used the precursor to the Relay series, was called the X2 XDS95. Didn't use fresh batteries once with that unit and it died in the middle of the show with no warning. Not sure if the Relay would do the same - it does have a battery meter on it I'm just not sure I trust it 100%.

3. The digital outs are a cool idea. That being said - I have zero issues with the sound I am getting from my G90. I agree with Stringtheorist - use your ears to decide - to me it sounds as good as a cable. I never use the "cable-tone" thing either - mine is turned to off.

One thing I wish though is that the input on the back of the AXE was the same as the front input so I could just have a short jumper cable in the back of the rack connecting the G90 to the AXE.

jjb said:
1. I have my transmitter on my guitar strap. I switch guitars during shows as well. When I switch guitars, I mute my output (go to my tuner via my midi controller), unplug the guitar from the transmitter, then take the strap off of the guitar (I use Schaller strap locks and removing the strap takes about 2 seconds) - then I reverse the process with the new guitar. Takes about 10 seconds to change to a new guitar on stage.

Schaller strap locks are the best, indeed.
I have two transmitters so my straps are always on the guitars, and the transmitters are gaffed on the straps. I just have to put it off when I take the guitar off, and put the transmitter on when I put the other guitar on. Both transmitters use the same frequency so only one receiver, plugged into the RJM Effects Gizmo, which is itself connected into the Axe.

Before I had bought my second transmitter, I did as you do, but I didnt use the tuner or anything else to mute the sound. I had a Neutrik Silent TS connector and it was perfect :
http://tinyurl.com/32wldes

Another very good solution is the ZZYZX Snap jack system :
http://www.zzyzxsnapjack.com/products.html
Dweezil Zappa uses only these and they make absolutely no noise when you snap them on or off.

Planet waves also has "circuit breaker" systems, but they dont work as well.

jjb said:
2. I don't know about rechargeable batteries as I only use new alkaline batteries for each and every show. I had previously used the precursor to the Relay series, was called the X2 XDS95. Didn't use fresh batteries once with that unit and it died in the middle of the show with no warning. Not sure if the Relay would do the same - it does have a battery meter on it I'm just not sure I trust it 100%.

I also change batteries before every concert (after the soundcheck !).
The only "problem" I ever had with the G30 was that batteries dont tell you when they're about to die : the sound is perfect until it just goes off in a single second. I change batteries in practice when that happens, as it is not very important there, but I wouldnt want this to happen when I'm on stage !
The battery meter can be trusted, but the problem is I dont watch it when I play, so definately worth new batteries just before every show.
:evil:

Thierry said:
The only "problem" I ever had with the G30 was that batteries dont tell you when they're about to die : the sound is perfect until it just goes off in a single second.
Were you using Li-Ion batteries when this happened, or some other (non-alkaline) type? I noticed that the meter only works when you've got alkaline batteries in there. (Either that, or the Li-Ion ones last so long the meter never seemed to change from 8:20.)

Stringtheorist said:
Thierry said:
The only "problem" I ever had with the G30 was that batteries dont tell you when they're about to die : the sound is perfect until it just goes off in a single second.
Were you using Li-Ion batteries when this happened, or some other (non-alkaline) type? I noticed that the meter only works when you've got alkaline batteries in there. (Either that, or the Li-Ion ones last so long the meter never seemed to change from 8:20.)

The reason it doesn't work with Li-Ion is because they don't lose voltage like alkalines do as they die. Alkaline AA's start at ~1.5 volts and linearly drop down until its just not enough anymore. Li-Ion hold 1.5 and then BAM, nothing. There wouldn't be the same problem with a rechargable Ni-cad.

Not to go OT, but I have a flash recorder that is switchable between alkaline and NiMH batteries. It is able to give a useful battery life indicator with both, although it is not linear with the NiMH rechargeables. There's probably no reason Line 6 couldn't calibrate the meter for both, other than the cost of a switch.

Stringtheorist said:
Thierry said:
Were you using Li-Ion batteries when this happened, or some other (non-alkaline) type?
No, I only use regular alkaline batteries.
Good industrial type ones.
I never use rechargeable batteries : they're expensive, uneasy to find a replacement for, and, more important : it will always happen that you forget the charger or to charge them back when you need them. In my experience, at least ! :lol:

flump said:
Stringtheorist said:
I noticed that the meter only works when you've got alkaline batteries in there. (Either that, or the Li-Ion ones last so long the meter never seemed to change from 8:20.)
The reason it doesn't work with Li-Ion is because they don't lose voltage like alkalines do as they die. Alkaline AA's start at ~1.5 volts and linearly drop down until its just not enough anymore. Li-Ion hold 1.5 and then BAM, nothing. There wouldn't be the same problem with a rechargable Ni-cad.
Well, this is possible though I'm no expert about that.
But the reason why the G30 (or any other digital device for that matter) works perfectly or doesnt work at all is just that : it is digital.
There are all kinds of error correction programs/tools inside, and once the voltage/power gets insufficient, the system just goes off as it is unable to work properly anymore.
With VHF/UHF/analogic systems, the signal strength (=range) and quality (= sound) gets some progressive degradation that start early in battery life, and cant be hear right at the start, but it gets worse as the battery power degrades, and you can hear that quality and range loss more and more. You can still use them with dying batteries when you're really close to the receiver, but the sound is weak and terrible.
:twisted:

Just picked up a G30 as well. I also looked at the G90, but just could not get myself to pay that much money when a G30 + shelf gets the same job done at half the price. I actually had an X2 previously, but the Relay definitely wins for the longer battery life, AA batteries instead of 9V, and the standard 1/4" cables for transmitter.

Absolutely love the unit - sounds as good to me as the cables with no noticeable delay, and it's plug and play. I wouldn't mind it if the transmitter is made a tad more solid, however - it flexes a bit when pressed, and the battery compartment door feels a bit flimsy - but should be fine if handled with care, which I do with all my gear anyway. Plus, it's cheap enough to replace should you accidentally flung it across the club while swinging your guitar around, and an extra 1/4" cable in the bag will let you finish the show just fine.

All in all, great product, and highly recommended.

Mike

jjb said:
paulmapp8306 said:

3. The digital outs are a cool idea. That being said - I have zero issues with the sound I am getting from my G90. I agree with Stringtheorist - use your ears to decide - to me it sounds as good as a cable. I never use the "cable-tone" thing either - mine is turned to off.

One thing I wish though is that the input on the back of the AXE was the same as the front input so I could just have a short jumper cable in the back of the rack connecting the G90 to the AXE.
3. Is there a new revision of G90 available, or planned? Because I'm looking at G90 Manual and on the back panel (p.4, the smaller back panel image) there are AES/EBU and spdif connectors.

Back
Top Bottom