Line 6 G30 Wireless Guitar Transmitter

Muzick

Experienced
Not really an amp or a cab, but it is a sound reproduction device!

What are your guys' thoughts about the Line 6 G30 with the axe fx? Or perhaps just in general?

Apparently it's an excellent device, but I'd like to hear it from you tone snobs out there! :)

Thanks,
Brandon

I have a G30 - sounds the same as a cable to me - no problems there.

BUT - The G30 transmitter hardware is cheap cheap cheap - I wish I had gotten the G90.

sprint said:

BUT - The G30 transmitter hardware is cheap cheap cheap - I wish I had gotten the G90.

Have you had problems because of the cheap hardware?

BORNintoMUSIC said:
sprint said:

Have you had problems because of the cheap hardware?

Yes - The battery compartment lid on the transmitter is very tight fitting and held closed by a thin piece of plastic. That thin piece of plastic broke on me while I was replacing batteries and now it can't close the battery compartment. I now put a velcro band around the transmitter to keep the battery door shut. Overall the Relay 30 hardware is really flimsy so I highly recommend you spend the extra $ and go for the Relay 60 or 90 to get the more robust hardware (I plan to move to a 90 at some point). I'm trying to get mine repaired under warranty but it's challenging since I bought it in the US but live in Canada.

Despite the above, this unit functions beautifully (even with velcro band :D :D :D :D ).

I'm using its bigger brother: G50.
Works fine, best wireless I have ever used tone-wise.

The guitar-transmitter cable (mini XLR) isn't great. Mine broke and I've seen several other reports.
But you can buy and use the Shure cable instead.

Asphyx74 said:
I use the G30. Works great, sounds fantastic - no probs!
Ditto, been using my G30 for several months now with no problems at all, and yes it is without a doubt the best sounding wireless I've ever heard. Good on batteries to.

yek said:
I'm using its bigger brother: G50.
Works fine, best wireless I have ever used tone-wise.

The guitar-transmitter cable (mini XLR) isn't great. Mine broke and I've seen several other reports.
But you can buy and use the Shure cable instead.
+1 on all of the above - except that my mini xlr hasn't broken (yet!), but I can see how it wouldn't take much for that to happen.
The G90 is too huge for me :)

I started with the G50 and quickly traded up to the G90 for the convenience of having it mounted in my rack next to my Ultra. The transmitter cable has failed on me twice though. The first time I had to send the whole unit (G50) back to the dealer. The second time I managed to get the dealer to procure me a new cable. So far, so good...

BTW, you need to use alkaline batteries if you want to get an accurate reading from the battery life display on the transmitter. I tried to use Li-Ion batteries. They last longer, but the display reads 8:20 until they die on you.

I use an X2, which is the company that line 6 bought and re-packaged as the new G series. It's absolutely amazing, but the cable on the belt pack broke after a couple shows. Line 6 still honors the warranty.

Our bass player just got a G90 and loves it.

I use G30s : one receiver and two transmitters, on two different guitars I switch a couple of times during gigs.

I love it, the sound is perfect (that "calbe tone" thingy is a little silly to me, it's off all the time). Only problem I ever had was loosing the transmitters a few times, but now they're gaffed on the guitar straps and no more problem.

Battery life is kind of generous, but I still use brand new good quality batteries before every gig : batteries die quite abruptly, and I dont spend my time looking at the leds on the transmitters (or receiver).

The other guitar player and the bassist in my band use shure VHF systems, but they'll probably switch to G30 (or 50 or 90) soon, because of the tone quality and the total absence of interferences.
:twisted:

Maybe I'm the only one, I like the concept but I after checking them out I'm not convinced:

I love my Axe for its ultra low latency and superior quality A/D- D/A-converters. Those Line6 systems put additional latency and probably cheaper converters into my signal path... -> Stay with my "old" Shure SLX system.

Anyway I'm happy you guys like it ;)

Umm...

What is it about "no audible difference from cable (and improvement for some people due to the reduction of capacitance)" and a maximum 4ms latency that is horrid? 4ms isn't exactly getting up there in latency...and your SLX system is probably not doing much, if any, better than that.

Your out-of-hand rejection puzzles me.

I really like my G30. As far as sound, I have zero complaints. I use the 15ft cable simulation.

As far as latency, 4ms is not enough to matter. The natural latency from the speed of sound is more of a latency factor than any hardware latency. The G30 is rated to 100ft, but just as a test I took it out to the country where my parent's live. I was beyond 300ft before it started cutting out. And there were some trees in between. But beyond 40 feet or so the latency from the speed of sound being "too slow" made it almost impossible to play in time. For those reasons, the additional rated distance of the G50 and G90 is pretty much pointless. However, if a person uses IEMs and can block outside volume and plays out really far then the G50 or G90 might be better suited with regards to distance.

As far as durability, that one I don't get. The G30 transmitter is made of durable plastic. The battery cover works a little funky and I could see how somebody could break the door if they approach it with club fingers. But I've handled it with care through battery changes and it is holding up fine.

I love the fact that the G30 uses a standard 1/4" instrument cable. This was a large factor in choosing a G30 over a G50. Well, the G30 being $100 less expensive was also nice.

I've been using the predecessor to the G30, the XDS95, and I've been completely happy. No difference i can tell with cables, and since I don't really roam around that much on stage it's perfect.

Excellent forum response everyone!!

Question: Because the G30 has a more accurate frequency response then cables do (hence why they include the cable filter switch on the G30 itself) do you find, when combined with the Axe FX, you have a deeper more rich sound then when used with a standard cable?

Have any of you guys done A/B's with the G30 vs. Cables?

Thanks for the info!

--Brandon

Sidivan said:
I use an X2, which is the company that line 6 bought and re-packaged as the new G series. It's absolutely amazing, but the cable on the belt pack broke after a couple shows. Line 6 still honors the warranty.

Our bass player just got a G90 and loves it.
The G series is definitely NOT a repackaged X2. I own both, and can verify this.

Line 6 bought the X2 and sold it under that name for a few years. The Relay (or G) series are a significant improvement over the X2, in quality of construction, features, and technology.

Back
Top Bottom