Lincoln Brewster has Ultra and Liquid Foot Jr

Warrior said:
Gytaxor said:
oddb0d said:
well, that's pretty awesome. the only thing that saddens me about this is the fact I am watching this forum for almost 3 years and still am not able to afford to buy AXE. ......

$1.85 saved each day for the last 3 years would have gotten you an Ultra. Are you a smoker? If so, you could quit smoking and get an Ultra in less than 1 year, assuming 1 pack a day. :cool:

well, I am a student in a foreign country with no income and no job. And I can't have a job, or not easily. Don't ask me how I survived, only God knows :)

But I am working on it. and your math is making me believe I can make it eventually :)

Saw Lincoln this morning at CMS. I got a few minutes to chat with him about how he is liking the back box. He is real pleased and he has just scratched the surface. He let me poke around the menus on his rig. Lincoln is just using the plexi amp sim for the most part with two different drives. One was just a little push. The other was an 808. He had a filter block and P-EQ that were doing minor shaping of his tone. The cab sim was the stock 4X12 30w with no mic sim but the drive was cranked. Lincoln had a delay and reverb that were pretty low in the mix. He did have a U2 type multi-delay programed but he didn't use it in the set. It was all being controlled by a Liquid Foot jr. and a mission expression pedal. His on stage signal was run to a Marshall half stack and through a wedge, but he had IEMs during the set.

While standing on the stage, I was surprised how low the volume was on the Marshall.....but even more so as how little high end there is to his tone. He had a lot of highs cut on the global EQ for on stage. For the house it was flat. To my ears, I wanted to brighten it up a bit but I guess that is his taste.

I suggested he check out the Red Wirez and he said that he was planning to. Lincoln said he had spent some time on the phone with Java and that was a big help.

I was tickled to see him finally using the gizmo. This will be a big influence with Christian players. Several guys had that look in their eyes. You know they were going to go out and get one. Great guy an amazing player.

MKeditor said:
Saw Lincoln this morning at CMS. I got a few minutes to chat with him about how he is liking the back box. He is real pleased and he has just scratched the surface. He let me poke around the menus on his rig. Lincoln is just using the plexi amp sim for the most part with two different drives. One was just a little push. The other was an 808. He had a filter block and P-EQ that were doing minor shaping of his tone. The cab sim was the stock 4X12 30w with no mic sim but the drive was cranked. Lincoln had a delay and reverb that were pretty low in the mix. He did have a U2 type multi-delay programed but he didn't use it in the set. It was all being controlled by a Liquid Foot jr. and a mission expression pedal. His on stage signal was run to a Marshall half stack and through a wedge, but he had IEMs during the set.

While standing on the stage, I was surprised how low the volume was on the Marshall.....but even more so as how little high end there is to his tone. He had a lot of highs cut on the global EQ for on stage. For the house it was flat. To my ears, I wanted to brighten it up a bit but I guess that is his taste.

I suggested he check out the Red Wirez and he said that he was planning to. Lincoln said he had spent some time on the phone with Java and that was a big help.

I was tickled to see him finally using the gizmo. This will be a big influence with Christian players. Several guys had that look in their eyes. You know they were going to go out and get one. Great guy an amazing player.

Yeah, what a nice guy. It was great to help get him started. He caught on quick :D
I can't wait until I get to hear him live.
The marshall was for guitar/amp interaction, I'm sure.

Agreed. I think that he would be better off just doing away with it and just pump more into the wedges.

MKeditor said:

Just out of curiosity, what was he doing with the PEQ? In the X3 Live, he usually just shelved off some high frequencies - not even that much, really. A bit different than Dweezil's patches, I'm sure. Seriously, his PEQ lines look like a scribble :eek:

logicroxx said:
Just out of curiosity, what was he doing with the PEQ? In the X3 Live, he usually just shelved off some high frequencies - not even that much, really. A bit different than Dweezil's patches, I'm sure. Seriously, his PEQ lines look like a scribble :eek:

He's got a mid-bump at 750hz (3dB) as well as the shelf at 3khz (-1.8db). I don't know what the Q value is for the Line6 EQ for the 750hz bump... try somewhere between 1 and 2.

mwc2112 said:
He's got a mid-bump at 750hz (3dB) as well as the shelf at 3khz (-1.8db). I don't know what the Q value is for the Line6 EQ for the 750hz bump... try somewhere between 1 and 2.

I asked him during his presentation what he was doing with the EQ on the Axe, half-expecting him to describe that - his usual thing with the Pods. But he said he couldn't remember offhand. When MKEditor was poking around later, I was looking over his shoulder - didn't catch all of it, but looked like mid-boost. I was watching for the boost at 750 and the shelving at 3K, but the wave on the PEQ looked taller than 3db, more centered, and if there was any shelving, it was miniscule. Looked like all the high end roll off was on the global GEQ, and it was pretty radical, given the muscle of the Axe-FX graphic. Clearly, he's of the "tweak with your ears, not your eyes" school.

He actually did use the "U2" delay in the set, but very briefly, and the only reason I noticed was I've been playing with rhythmic delays a lot lately.

Finally, the same old adage applies During his presentation he briefly played a couple of guitars that were onstage for another artist. Sounded like Lincoln. When the other guy played the guitars later it didn't sound like Lincoln at all. It was a stark reminder that it's in the fingers.

Was cool meeting up with MKEditor and his lovely wife. Mike's the only guy I've met personally that's as picky about his cocktails as I am. ;-)

MKeditor said:
I knew you were alright when you ordered Redbreast.....but we are off topic. ;-)

Aw, not by much. Fine guitar players, fine tones, fine processors, fine liquors...it's all about sniffing corks. ;-) I mean substitute EQ blocks, cabinet drive and filtering for nose, bouquet, and finish...it's the same thing.

You looked closer at the filter block than I did, and probably know more about the block than I do. What was the point of using the filter block and putting the PEQ on that, as opposed to just putting a PEQ block in? Or maybe Javajunkie knows. I know that the filter block gets talked about a lot for doing a lot of things, but I haven't spent a lot of time with it so don't know all the potential applications.

BTW, Java, Lincoln clearly appreciated your assistance - he mentioned how he'd made a long list of questions and said you'd patiently spent two hours answering them.

Final editorial comment - I will confess that from the time I first heard of Brewster I wanted to not like the guy. I'm an iconoclast at heart, in the true definition of the word. I reject icons and seek to invalidate them, and I especially don't like it when fellow Christians turn artists into icons. It seems insufficient to be just a skilled artist, we must turn our artists into something more. It's distasteful, it's embarrassing, and it's contrary to the faith on so many levels. So I didn't want to like him, just because so many people seem to want to see him as the Third Coming or something. But at every encounter I've had with him, he's been genuinely warm, humble, supportive and encouraging. He truly seems to enjoy helping guitar players get better results in any way he can. So I can't help but like the guy. If you get a chance to see him play, even if you aren't interested in spiritual things, take the opportunity. And if you get the chance to talk to him, take that opportunity as well. He's truly a lovely person.

'Nuff said.

raz said:
Final editorial comment - I will confess that from the time I first heard of Brewster I wanted to not like the guy. I'm an iconoclast at heart, in the true definition of the word. I reject icons and seek to invalidate them, and I especially don't like it when fellow Christians turn artists into icons. It seems insufficient to be just a skilled artist, we must turn our artists into something more. It's distasteful, it's embarrassing, and it's contrary to the faith on so many levels. So I didn't want to like him, just because so many people seem to want to see him as the Third Coming or something. But at every encounter I've had with him, he's been genuinely warm, humble, supportive and encouraging. He truly seems to enjoy helping guitar players get better results in any way he can. So I can't help but like the guy. If you get a chance to see him play, even if you aren't interested in spiritual things, take the opportunity. And if you get the chance to talk to him, take that opportunity as well. He's truly a lovely person.

I can understand this thinking, but just remember... if others make someone an icon then that is the fault of those who do so and not necessarily the fault of the one who is idolized.

Now that I am back.....here are some pics:

Brewster_axefx2.jpg

Brewster_axefx1.jpg

Enjoy!

mwc2112 said:
I can understand this thinking, but just remember... if others make someone an icon then that is the fault of those who do so and not necessarily the fault of the one who is idolized.

This is exactly why Lincoln gave up playing with Steve Perry. He said it was embarrassing. All these people trying to grab him when playing a solo. He saw a room of hurting people and at the end of the night they had a good time, but no lasting change or help for people. He then worked as a sound guy in a church in Modesto. Now for those who don't know Modesto, walking away from a gig with Perry to live in Modesto is no easy come down. Lincoln is a totally great helpful guy. He invests a lot in other musicians and helping them grow and be the best they can be. Really cool to talk with. Loves to help people in any way he can at any level. He is also very tasteful in his playing.

His inputs and outputs are dimed?.........

I'm really hoping he hits up the Houston area sometime soon. Wouldn't mind hearing the guy again but chatting afterwards is always a treat with him.
I know my church is looking to do a music conference sometime late next year and we discussed bring him in for some workshops and maybe a Q&A with local music ministries/ministers as well. He really does have a level head on his shoulders and a passion for what he does which makes all the difference in the world.

That is interesting. Looks like he has input 1 on max, output 1 on max and output 2 near line level (noon). I wonder which one is feeding the cab for stage volume? He would be totally clipping all the time if he had it on full... That must be not set up yet or something. I have the pickups as him and I cannot go past 3 before I'm clipping too much. I certainly didn't see him clipping a lot on the input when I saw him play with the Axe FX.

When using a low output, vintage-based strat pickup, I can crank the input gain all the way and still not clip the input or consistently hit the red LED. With my main strat, I actually have to crank it all the way to get a good signal. Last I heard, LB was using Dimarzio Area pickups which are stacked, noiseless single coils that aim for vintage tone and output.

The cranked output is likely feeding the FOH console. Sending the hottest signal possible and padding it down at the mixer is the preferred method of many I know to keep noise to a minimum. Just to leave myself some play room, mine is typically set around 3 o'clock, but it wouldn't bother me to max it out either.

D

dk_ace said:
Last I heard, LB was using Dimarzio Area pickups which are stacked, noiseless single coils that aim for vintage tone and output.
D
I have the same pickups as Lincoln in my strat. 3 pm is the highest I can go before clipping. As for the output Line Level @ Noon is probably best. Maybe Lincoln doesn't know that noon is line level and just thinks full volume please?

oddb0d said:
dk_ace said:
Last I heard, LB was using Dimarzio Area pickups which are stacked, noiseless single coils that aim for vintage tone and output.
D
I have the same pickups as Lincoln in my strat. 3 pm is the highest I can go before clipping.

There are other things in play like pickup height, string guage, pick guage, volume knob settings, picking technique, etc that could allow him to max the output without excessive clipping.

oddb0d said:
As for the output Line Level @ Noon is probably best.

Not true. The best output volume is the highest one you can send without clipping the input of the next device. This keeps noise down. If he's sending signal to a device with an adjustable input pad, the hottest signal he can send that the pad can handle is the best.

D

Back
Top Bottom