LF Jr. Tuner Menu button

Ponyboy

Ok-Anyone have this actually working? Watched the you-tube videos, read all the posts, still not working. I have had it working on one of switches but the menu button is where I need it--need my switches for sonic reasons. First one to give me the answer gets the title: "champ"

I am having a lot of trouble with this also. Currently, I get the tuner display in the LF when I turn it on at the Axe-FX but it isn't engaging on the Axe-FX automatically as it's supposed to.

Here are the steps I've taken to get where I am:
(I'll assume if you've seen the LF video, you've already gone into the Axe-FX I/O menu (MIDI page) and set SEND REALTIME SYSEX to TUNER)

Go to Axe I/O menu (CTRL page) and set TUNER to whatever CC# you want to assign to it.

In the LFJ, select Global Menu and press P4 until you get to page: G-Tuner Source? -> Press up/down til it reads AXE-FX

Stay in Global Menu and press P4 until you reach page: MENU-Hold IA 2S? -> Enter the CC# you set for the tuner in the Axe-FX I/O menu.

Press S4 (so the display reads Hold IA 3S) and make sure the same CC# is here also. (I couldn't get my Menu button to engage the tuner until I did this.)

Now press Menu to exit and navigate to Switch mode (first page, Select IA SW???) -> Enter the CC# number here. (You need to program an IA switch and associate it with the CC.)

Press SELECT (S4) until you reach the page which reads something like: on 01M01 AXE-FX C:B 1:000 2:127. Press DOWN (P1) until you see "on 01M _ SPECIAL *SP* 1:000 2:000 -> Press S3 to select TUNER -> Press SELECT (S4).

Now press Menu once to exit, plug in your guitar and try holding Menu for 2 secs and releasing. Does that work?

I don't understand why you guys are having problems. I have the LF Jr and set up the tuner exactly the way it is described on the youtube video and it works perfectly.

Maybe you are missing a step?

Ponyboy said:
Ok-Anyone have this actually working? Watched the you-tube videos, read all the posts, still not working. I have had it working on one of switches but the menu button is where I need it--need my switches for sonic reasons. First one to give me the answer gets the title: "champ"

I'll post a screenshot of the editor setup when I get home. I've talked people through getting the jr tuner working on three other units and have it working on my pro.

Stringtheorist said:
Stay in Global Menu and press P4 until you reach page: MENU-Hold IA 2S? -> Enter the CC# you set for the tuner in the Axe-FX I/O menu.

It's been a while since I did this, but for this step (marked in bold) I think you are actually entering the IA switch you want the menu hold to trigger, not the CC#. Pick IA switch 64 (for example) and enter that number for both the 2s and 3s hold. Then program IA switch 64 to send the CC# to the AXE.

I hope I'm remembering correctly. Otherwise Java's screen shots should help.

Scott

sgainar said:
It's been a while since I did this, but for this step (marked in bold) I think you are actually entering the IA switch you want the menu hold to trigger, not the CC#. Pick IA switch 64 (for example) and enter that number for both the 2s and 3s hold. Then program IA switch 64 to send the CC# to the AXE.
So what IA switch # is the Menu button?

Stringtheorist said:
sgainar said:
So what IA switch # is the Menu button?

You program any IA switch to trigger the tuner (#64 usually because it generally isn't used). You set the 2 + 3 second hold to this IA.

Stringtheorist, the menu switch doesn’t have an IA switch associated with it by default. The step I quoted above is the step where you assign which IA switch you want the menu hold to use.

If you are using 4 button mode and only using the first IA page, IA S1-S4 are accessible via the hardware buttons. IA S5-S64 are available and can be used for other things. If you are using some other mode or additional IA pages, there is a diagram on page 20 of the manual that I have that shows how they are used. Most use the last few for this as it’s easy to remember that the last eight (S57-S64) are always “virtual”.

I would use S64 for this just to pick one. The 2s and 3s hold mode lets you pick two different IAs (controlling two different functions) if you want depending on how long you hold the switch down. Most set them both to 64 to start the tuner regardless how long the switch is held.

As I mentioned, you then have to program IA 64 to send the CC messages like you would the harware switch IAs.

Hope this helps.

OK, I followed your instructions but I am in the same situation as before except the Tuner is operating on IA64 instead of IA27. The problem is that the Axe-FX tuner is not coming on.

My LF still says "4B" on the right of the screen even after I select 3-button mode from the mode menu.

What is 3S mode? Jeff told me to put my LF in this mode in order to set up the way I wanted to use it. But I can't find 3S mode. :evil:

Stringtheorist said:
OK, I followed your instructions but I am in the same situation as before except the Tuner is operating on IA64 instead of IA27. The problem is that the Axe-FX tuner is not coming on.

You seem to be missing a couple of steps here:

"Press SELECT (S4) until you reach the page which reads something like: on 01M01 AXE-FX C:B 1:000 2:127. Press DOWN (P1) until you see "on 01M _ SPECIAL *SP* 1:000 2:000 -> Press S3 to select TUNER -> Press SELECT (S4)."

You need to have the IA switch set to type - quicktap

I don't know what your tuner cc is set to on the axe-fx but lets say a value of 42

Also the on commands should read
command 1
01M01 AXE-FX C:B 1:042 2:127
command 2
01M _ SPECIAL *SP* 1:000 2:000
command 3
01M01 AXE-FX C:B 1:042 2:000

Stringtheorist said:
My LF still says "4B" on the right of the screen even after I select 3-button mode from the mode menu.

What is 3S mode? Jeff told me to put my LF in this mode in order to set up the way I wanted to use it. But I can't find 3S mode. :evil:

3s hold mode holding the menu down for 3 seconds triggers an IA. you want to set the 2s hold and 3s hold to the tuner IA switch. See page 75 of the jr manual.

Have you tried using the editor? It really make this stuff much easier to see.

javajunkie said:
You seem to be missing a couple of steps here:
You need to have the IA switch set to type - quicktap

I don't know what your tuner cc is set to on the axe-fx but lets say a value of 42

Also the on commands should read
command 1
01M01 AXE-FX C:B 1:042 2:127
command 2
01M _ SPECIAL *SP* 1:000 2:000
command 3
01M01 AXE-FX C:B 1:042 2:000

I set the tuner cc to 64 in the Axe-FX (as I thought it had to be the same as the entry in the LF).

I have now set to Quick Tap and entered 064 in Data 1 (command 1?)

I don't know how to find command 2 and command 3.

Now, tuner display comes on in the Axe-FX but not on the LF. Also, I can't turn off the Axe-FX tuner display from the LF.

javajunkie said:
Stringtheorist said:

3s hold mode holding the menu down for 3 seconds triggers an IA. you want to set the 2s hold and 3s hold to the tuner IA switch. See page 75 of the jr manual.

The editor can't see my LF... Is not communicating with my MIDI device (Edirol FA-66). Just another in a long list of problems I'm having with this...

Java, I don't understand your instruction. What I want is to have the buttons arranged as P2-P4 Presets, S2-S4 IAs and Bank Up/Down to change songs in Song Mode. Jeff told me I could achieve this is 3S mode. Where is 3S mode?

String,

What you want is the 3B (3 button) mode. This leaves P1 and S1 as the bank select buttons while keeping 3 IA switches and 3 preset switches.

-VM

ahhh soo close--ok, set up exactly as shown--in 3 button mode--hold the menu button down and tuner display shows on the junior but not communicating with the axe--what could it be??sooooo close!

Are you guys setting the Axe to transmit the tuner data? An the Axe:

IO Menu, MIDI, Send Realtime SYSEX

Set this value to "TUNER"" with firmware 9.0. Don't set it to "ALL" because you will run into problems with the Axe randomly changing patches when using an expression pedal with the Jr. (there was a thread on this with the previous firmware).

But I'm having a strange problem with my Jr. with 9.0 . I have it configured to hold down the menu for to access the tuner. The Axe goes into the Tuner, but the tuner info is not shown on the Jr. It was working fine, but it stopped working. I haven't changed a thing....

ethomas1013 said:

Set this value to "TUNER"" with firmware 9.0. Don't set it to "ALL" because you will run into problems with the Axe randomly changing patches when using an expression pedal with the Jr. (there was a thread on this with the previous firmware).

But I'm having a strange problem with my Jr. with 9.0 . I have it configured to hold down the menu for to access the tuner. The Axe goes into the Tuner, but the tuner info is not shown on the Jr. It was working fine, but it stopped working. I haven't changed a thing....
That's exactly what I'm getting (except it's never worked correctly for me). And yes, I have set the Axe to transmit the data. I think where I'm going wrong is entering the correct number in the Ctrl Menu Tuner parameter (CC or IA?) I've tried both but neither is yet having the desired effect.

Stringtheorist said:
ethomas1013 said:

That's exactly what I'm getting (except it's never worked correctly for me). And yes, I have set the Axe to transmit the data. I think where I'm going wrong is entering the correct number in the Ctrl Menu Tuner parameter (CC or IA?) I've tried both but neither is yet having the desired effect.

It is possible you guys are running into something I stumbled on helping a friend out. If the tuner menu on the axe-fx was left on anything but the main tuner menu, the tuner info will not be transmitted. So say you turned the mute on/off or calibrated the tuner, if you exit the tuner w/o going back to the main tuner menu the axe-fx will not transmit tuner info until you turn that page back to the first tuner menu on the axe-fx. just a thought.

Stringtheorist said:
javajunkie said:
Stringtheorist said:

The editor can't see my LF... Is not communicating with my MIDI device (Edirol FA-66). Just another in a long list of problems I'm having with this...

Java, I don't understand your instruction. What I want is to have the buttons arranged as P2-P4 Presets, S2-S4 IAs and Bank Up/Down to change songs in Song Mode. Jeff told me I could achieve this is 3S mode. Where is 3S mode?

That is 3 button mode, 3s is the 3 second hold switch. I'll look in the manual on where to get that set up on the jr. It is one of the first menus in the global menu section on the pro.

Back
Top Bottom