LF Jnr - Can you have different CC's for different presets?

Mark Cullen

Inspired
I've been searching but haven't been able to find an answer to this...

I want to know if it's possible to program the LF Jnr so that, for example, in preset 10, IA switch 1 controls drive 1, but in preset 12 it can be a different CC and control tremolo, and perhaps in preset 14 it can have a different CC and control pitch?

Mark Cullen said:
I've been searching but haven't been able to find an answer to this...

I want to know if it's possible to program the LF Jnr so that, for example, in preset 10, IA switch 1 controls drive 1, but in preset 12 it can be a different CC and control tremolo, and perhaps in preset 14 it can have a different CC and control pitch?

Yes, you can override IA switches on a per-preset basis.

You can also re-program the CC# of an expression pedal on the fly, so that you can have one expression pedal do duty controlling Volume, Wah, and any other continuous control item.

That's the short answer. Getting this stuff working takes some time invested in learning, experimenting and hacking. The documentation is sketchy, and your intuition can work against you. That's the first sentence of the long answer, but it would be meaningless to put the long answer here.

The Jr is a powerful unit, and can be confusing. It WILL work for most of the conceivable uses, but it takes time and study. It is not a plug-and-play solution. It took me about a month to get a handle on, and several times I had to resist the urge to blow the thing up. I'm still not at the point where I'll even attempt to program it on the gig. But that, too, will come.

Don't misunderstand...I love the Jr, and now that I've gotten a handle on it I am glad I chose it. Even if I do buy the MFC-101 when it's released, I will definitely keep the Jr around. Just don't get the idea in your head that it's easy to work with. It's far too powerful to be simple.

Thanks for your replies guys...

I like the idea of the small footprint controller. I have been waiting for the MFC-101 but really need a solution real soon.
If the LF Jnr can do this, that's halfway to what I want.

The thing that would get me over the line would be if you could have a mode where the 2 switches on the left were dedicated up down buttons for presets, and the other six could be set as IA's.

That would give me true IA control for each patch (I know that you can have levels/pages of IA control, but I don't call holding a button down for 2 or 3 seconds instant access!). I usually have a preset per song so don't have to make to many IA changes in a patch.

Don't forget that you have 8 external controllers in the Axe. First, I CC assigned all 8 to expression pedals or IA's on my LF jr. For instance, ext. controller 1 is assigned to expression pedal one. Then you can go to your drive block or whatever and then assign any controller, such as the bypass, mix, etc. that is allowed. So instead of messing with a bunch of CC assignments all the time I can assign my drive to whatever IA or pedal I want to use for that preset using the ext. controller. All done on the Axe and not needing to mess with the LF to change assignments. This makes it easy to reassign things on the fly too. Go to layout, choose your block, and change the modifier to another IA in 30 seconds or less.

The next preset can be set up differently with little fuss. By playing around with the ext. modifiers I can also easily use one button to turn one effect off and another on if I don't use them at the same time. That can come in handy for making multiple changes and doubles or triples the usability of any given switch.

I have yet to run out of flexibility using the controllers by themselves and swapping assignments when necessary. If I ever do run out, I still have a bucketload of CC commands I can still assign since I'm not using that many. In fact, I'm planning to use those for other devices instead in the future.

Back
Top Bottom