Let's see those FM3 rigs!

Wireless goes into Input 2

767X7hU.jpg

nG4kfON.jpg

Just got my Temple Audio Duo 24 and I think I have it set how I want... I'm putting my Line 6 G30 underneath. I have a couple questions for you fine folks. I also have a wireless IEM that works really well with this setup! I'm trying to find those Neutrik Patch Panel Passthrough adapters but everyone seems to be out of stock. The TA DI solution is just stupid expensive.

1. Case, what case are you guys going with for the TA Duo 24.
2. Power, how are you guys powering everything? Is it just a surge protector on the side? I saw the IEC power cable from TA but it doesn't look to be an actual solution.

20220128_132211.jpg

Last edited:
1. Case, what case are you guys going with for the TA Duo 24.
The Duo 24 bag from Temple Audio will work. I use it with my Duo 24 + FM9, plus there's room in the pocket for 2 XLR cables to my FRFR and three power cables for powering them.

I wanted better padding and better canvas, so I just sent in the dimensions for a Duo 24 + FM9 bag to StudioSlips. It's more expensive but definitely much better quality.

2. Power, how are you guys powering everything? Is it just a surge protector on the side? I saw the IEC power cable from TA but it doesn't look to be an actual solution.

I cut the IEC cable for Temple Audio's IEC module, threaded it through one of the larger holes in the back then soldered it all back together, and it works fine. Others have cut the plug off the cable, threaded the cable through and then used a screw-on IEC plug.

I don't use a surge protector.

I took advantage of Temple Audio's modules and mini XLR and 1/4" TRS plugs where I could. I prefer to have my connections to the board occur on the sides, so power and XLR to the FRFR cabs occur on the left, and the guitar plus connections for the foot pedals are on their 4x1/4" TRS module.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/lets-see-those-fm3-rigs.158779/post-2127060 was a first pass.
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/lets-see-those-fm3-rigs.158779/post-2128517 was a second pass. Since then I've wired my own XLR -> TRS for the XLR module using Switchcraft's mini XLR, so the back panel looks even cleaner. The goal was to avoid anything sticking out that could be stepped on; My first time out with the FM3 a drunk singer stepped on the XLR connectors and bent the pins in one of the XLR taking that monitor out of action for the rest of the night.

Last edited:
Sorry for the multiple posts, I'm on mobile. The smaller one would have been perfect but it doesn't fit. The pelican looks like it's almost $400!!! That's less than half the price of the FM3 that I'm trying to protect! 🤣

So even with the cushions out, the FM3 is too big with the Temple Audio. I want to avoid bags since they probably won't protect like one of these hard cases would.

Last edited:
Sorry for the multiple posts, I'm on mobile. The smaller one would have been perfect but it doesn't fit. The pelican looks like it's almost $400!!! That's less than half the price of the FM3 that I'm trying to protect! 🤣

So even with the cushions out, the FM3 is too big with the Temple Audio. I want to avoid bags since they probably won't protect like one of these hard cases would.
Look at the Pelican Vault series specifically... Way less ;)

I use Input 1, and keep a guitar cable coiled up on the stage next to my FM3. That way, if my wireless fails, I can swap in the cable in a few seconds.

In addition I'm using a CBJ95 Wah in front of the chain and place the pedal next to the board:
IMG_20220129_131728__01.jpg
IMG_20220129_131844__01.jpg
I'm searching for a flightcase to fit the board (esp. the height of the FM3).
The covers are from GearbyCEBA with an additional anti glare cover attached. On the screens I also have a protection layer from SKEEN.

Last edited:
Minimalist setup. Have an AFX3 and FC12 but I wanted something that was easier to transport. Target: be able to pick up and move everything I need in a single trip. With low complexity overall and budget price as nice to haves.

1. Cheap generic Chinese Gokko pedalboard. $59 and it came with a very nice soft case.
2. Nektar expression pedal. Perfectly adequate and only $19.99.
3. 2 momentary switches $6 and a blemished case $3 from Guitar Pedal Parts. Already had a stereo jack and short TRS.

Right under the $100 mark. And with a guitar gig bag, the FM3 bagged and either my Atomic CLR or my EVM 12L cabinet with the Quilter Tone Block tucked in the back I can hoof it any reasonable distance with no worries if I hit some stairs.

In the corner is my Ampero MIDI footswitch. I can use this, but I don't feel like I need it right now - it's serving as foot control for my Cubase/Reaper/Studio One setups, Transcribe, and Band In A Box along with a Bome Midi Translator Pro.

I wanted to see if I could get by with just a couple of switches on Ext. 2. So first I created custom versions of the Scenes and Effects layouts without the hold functions for each switch. Don't have to worry about how long I linger on the switch and the removal of the hold does seem to make the switch a bit quicker. There are 3 views for the Scenes so I did the same for the Effects - I generally use scenes for most in song switches and I doubt I'm ever going to use more than 9 discrete pedalboard effects. At least in any situation where I was using this instead of the AFX3. And I decided to get to the looper functionality from a switch on the effects layout and restructured the looper layout the same way I did with the scenes and effects. Three views that scroll and wrap and a single function for each switch - no hold functionality.

Set up a couple of stand-in switches for the two externals. FM3 now boots to the new Scenes layout by default. The FSW on the left toggles between the new scene and effects layouts. Holding it down takes you back to the original default preset layout so if you want you can backtrack to the legacy setup any time. I left the old Scenes and Effects layouts around just in case.

The external on the right just scrolls the 1-3 views on the current layout. I'm only using it for the new scenes, effects and the looper layouts, each of which have 3 views each. So it just works generically on any of them The hold function assigned to it is the tuner, so I can get to that any time.

And it works OK for me so far. Knocked off some of the complexity in getting to the scenes and effects switching. One power cord and no additional supplies to mess with. This will probably replace my legacy pedalboard w/stomps and Mesa Express as my grab 'n go rig. Although it's still kinda fun to use that sometimes.

20220129_143431.jpg

Hi all,

Here’s my rig. I monitor through a Line6 PowerCab 112+ so I don’t use the FM3’s cab block. The PowerCab is a guitar cab with a speaker that has other speaker models available. It’s not the sound of a Mic’d cab, its the sound of Cab.

I also don’t use the Reverb block in the FM3. While amazing and glorious, its 30+% CPU price is the culprit when many complain the FM3 is underpowered. It’s really not. It’s just not all things at the same time, but it sure is many of them.

I have a source audio collider in the effects loop of the FM3 under the riser which provides all the high quality reverb I could ever want without worrying I’m running out of horsepower. The MIDIBABY3 provides master tap (and the FM3’s tuner when I hold it for a second) and controls the collider as well.

The JHS MG is first in the chain as an always on ‘preamp’ going into the FM3 and XLR out to the PowerCab. The FM3 provides amp modeling and all effects. I just don’t use the cab models or the reverb. I generally only use one preset and the kitchen sink I have is what you might imagine if you turned off your cab and reverb blocks.
IMG_6590.jpeg

The amp tones I’m getting with this rig are nothing short of ridiculous. The presence, liveliness, sparkle, thump, and push I get are among the best sounds I’ve ever been able to reliably get from rehearsal to venue to home to different venue, rinse, repeat. Best rig tone I’ve ever had.
IMG_6589.jpeg

In addition I'm using a CBJ95 Wah in front of the chain and place the pedal next to the board:
View attachment 95057
View attachment 95058
I'm searching for a flightcase to fit the board (esp. the height of the FM3).
The covers are from GearbyCEBA with an additional anti glare cover attached. On the screens I also have a protection layer from SKEEN.
I'm still trying to decide if I want to get an MC6/MC8 or jump to the FC6. Ease of programming is a plus for the FC6, but the size changes things quite a bit.

Back
Top Bottom