Let’s see your les pauls

Yeah absolutely, as I said, I can do a fretjob, setup etc. but everything in me says that it shouldn’t be necessary on a 3000$ guitar. Hell no, even Epiphone or Squier does better fretwork.

I‘m going to take a day off next week and I’m going to a big store. Let’s see what they have.

I don't get how the frets look so bad. I thought Gibson Plek's all their USA guitars?

Same.

Possibly damaged in shipping? Or just some kind of QC failure? The plek machine doesn't necessarily guarantee perfect frets - it does measure and adjust them, but you still have to run the machine right. Unless I'm mistaken.

But, I haven't seen anything that bad IRL. My 2019 Standard is a normal USA, not a CS or anything, and not from a shop that does their own fretwork...it was totally fine. It did require a nut dressing, but I think that's because they cut the slots small enough that you can still use 8s if you want to as opposed to dressing it for 10s and possibly needing a nut replacement to play tiny strings. I also did a setup because shipping and warehouses. But, that's all normal. The only times I've played a guitar that didn't need a setup was when a particularly high-end shop had already done one (and they still went over it again after I decided to buy it).

I really hope that this was just one faulty guitar.
I can’t explain why those frets look like that.
But I have to say it was just on some frets, not the entire fretboard.
There will be a replacement hopefully at the end of the week. My local deal don’t have one in stock.

Same.

Possibly damaged in shipping? Or just some kind of QC failure? The plek machine doesn't necessarily guarantee perfect frets - it does measure and adjust them, but you still have to run the machine right. Unless I'm mistaken.

But, I haven't seen anything that bad IRL. My 2019 Standard is a normal USA, not a CS or anything, and not from a shop that does their own fretwork...it was totally fine. It did require a nut dressing, but I think that's because they cut the slots small enough that you can still use 8s if you want to as opposed to dressing it for 10s and possibly needing a nut replacement to play tiny strings. I also did a setup because shipping and warehouses. But, that's all normal. The only times I've played a guitar that didn't need a setup was when a particularly high-end shop had already done one (and they still went over it again after I decided to buy it).
Setup is totally fine, in my case the guitar is shipped overseas to Europe so I absolutely expect to do a new setup.
But I don’t want to refret a new guitar. I could do this myself but honestly for that price I won’t.

I think you'll likely have to expect that a new LP is going to need a crown / level / polish and possibly a new new nut for it to actually perform competitively to any other brand of guitar in that price range. Where I live that would easily be a few hundred dollars of extra cost. Find one with a neck you like, reasonable weight, and minimal QC issues and then get it to a good luthier to finish it off properly.
Not necessarily.

When I got my '19 Standard 60s, I played about a dozen of the then new series. At that time, the fretwork was really good across the board.

I did notice that the workmanship on the neck and body binding was hit or miss. Mine has just a slight bit of dye bleed, which seems to be fading gradually and didn't really bother me in the first place....but I saw some that were just laughably bad. On the worst one, the neck binding was cut short at an angle and a section was actually missing by the nut?!

That damaged fret is crazy! Don't see how it could be shipping damage. It looks like somebody went to town on it with a coarse file, and did the damage to the binding when they overshot.

Last edited:
Not necessarily.

When I got my '19 Standard 60s, I played about a dozen of the then new series. At that time, the fretwork was really good across the board.

I did notice that the workmanship on the neck and body binding was hit or miss. Mine has just a slight bit of dye bleed, which seems to be fading gradually and didn't really bother me in the first place....but I saw some that were just laughably bad. On the worst one, the neck binding was cut short at an angle and a section was actually missing by the nut?!

That damaged fret is crazy! Don't see how it could be shipping damage. It looks like somebody went to town on it with a coarse file, and did the damage to the binding when they overshot.
This!
The guitar had also some scratches etc.
My first thought was that the guitar had already shipped to another customer and then returned but according to the dealer the guitar was not shipped before and came right from the factory in that condition.
What annoys me the most is that the deal opens the box, sent me pictures and didn’t check the rest of the guitar. So that could have been already avoided.
These issues could be easily spotted.

None of these are mine. Just crazy how different individual Les Pauls can be. These are all the same Standard model, Bourbon Burst.

View attachment 124808

I honestly wonder if they do this on purpose just so people can have a strong/quick choice between exact ones so they'll feel like theirs is special instead of thinking they're all the same.

Ordered SD90 top locking tuners for my standards last night. Looking forward to that swap being done haha.

None of these are mine. Just crazy how different individual Les Pauls can be. These are all the same Standard model, Bourbon Burst.

View attachment 124808
I would go for the first or third one.
Two and four at looking more Heritage Cherry Sumburst.
But yeah that depends on the person who does the paintjob.
I have seen some SG‘s at the store, all from the same batch and in Heritage Cherry, some of them were almost orange.
Personally I don’t think that this is a bad thing that does make some guitars very unique.

Back
Top Bottom