Let’s see your les pauls

View attachment 125259

Tuners are on, me likey. Not so into the different gauge Im trying on the one guitar, though.

Hmm....those look pretty close to "normal". I assume they used the standard screw holes?

I have hipshots on mine with the alignment plates and like them a lot; changing strings is really convenient, and I didn't have to drill new holes. Plus, I've always preferred the "grover look" to the "kluson look".

Hmm....those look pretty close to "normal". I assume they used the standard screw holes?

I have hipshots on mine with the alignment plates and like them a lot; changing strings is really convenient, and I didn't have to drill new holes. Plus, I've always preferred the "grover look" to the "kluson look".

Yeah the stock holes. I tried the hipshots with the UMP plates on my last studio - installed that one myself lol. I wanted to keep the kluson look on these and skip the thumbwheels.

Yeah the stock holes. I tried the hipshots with the UMP plates on my last studio - installed that one myself lol. I wanted to keep the kluson look on these and skip the thumbwheels.

Fair. I'm totally happy with the hipshots. Quick to install, quick string changes, no fuss, no problems. I did change the keys for the most grover-y ones. But, that was just another screw per tuner.

I don't mind the thumb wheels at all. And I like that they're open...I blow them out with compressed air and drop a bit of lube in the gears about once a year.

I hope all locking tuner string changes are quick, else what’s the point haha. Im sure I saved a little weight but not enough to notice.

"Accidentally" bought this one this week, a used 2009 Les Paul Studio. I made a somewhat low offer on Reverb and it got accepted o_O

I like it though. It's light and resonant, and in pretty good shape. The switch tip broke off during transport. Kudos to the seller Ernie Williamson Music for sending me a Switchcraft switch right away after I messaged them. A bit of soldering next week, and I might use if for a show in October.

Seller picture:

1693102765469.png

New Epiphone Alex Lifeson from Musician's Friend. Setup was pretty bad. Got it dialed in much better. Still getting some fret buzz on the small E string on almost the whole neck. Wonder if it's the bridge saddle?

Wanted to send it back, but they say that it might be next March before they get any more. I missed the last run with the piezo by a few weeks.
IMG_20230819_001851801.jpg

New Epiphone Alex Lifeson from Musician's Friend. Setup was pretty bad. Got it dialed in much better. Still getting some fret buzz on the small E string on almost the whole neck. Wonder if it's the bridge saddle? Wanted to send it back, but they say that it might be next March before they get any more.
March? :oops:

It felt like that was to dissuade my from sending it back. It feels wrong to have to take a new guitar in for some fret work/setup. I'm not sure that I want to call their bluff?
Most new guitars need a setup if you dont like factory spec though?

The whole neck makes me wonder if the nut slot is too low. Confirmed the neck isnt twisted at all?

Most new guitars need a setup if you dont like factory spec though?

The whole neck makes me wonder if the nut slot is too low. Confirmed the neck isnt twisted at all?
It doesn't start buzzing and fretting out during bends until after the 10th fret. The open stings sound fine

It's hard to tell by eye, but it looks like the relief is a little different from one side to the other. I will try adjusting the truss rod for a little more relief and put up with a little higher action on the bigger strings to get better sustain out of the smaller ones?

UPDATE.. Like Hendrix said "I can't get no relief". Even with the truss rod loose. I'm no luthier, but I may need to go with heavier strings on this one. I put on my typical 9-46 Hybrid Slinkys. But maybe the shorter scale leaves them a bit too loose. I will try some 10-48 Hybrids, and hopefully the increased tension will pull enough for a little more relief.

Last edited:
Should be fine with 9-46? I imagine the difference between those and 10-46 isnt that big, and 10-46 is stock.

Should be fine with 9-46? I imagine the difference between those and 10-46 isnt that big, and 10-46 is stock.
It came with 10-46. but the setup was so bad that it was barely playable. I probably should have messed with the setup before changing the string gauge.

It came with 10-46. but the setup was so bad that it was barely playable. I probably should have messed with the setup before changing the string gauge.
Maybe. I went 10-46 in E to 12-54 in B without really doing anything lol.

Here is my 2020 Les Paul which I bought during the lockdowns. I got it from Peach Guitars in Colchester UK, and thanks to my friend going with me, (he used to work there and knows the staff really well) they got this one out of the warehouse which was being kept back because it looked so good.

I put a custom truss rod cover on it, bare knuckle mules and locking tuners on it and remove the scratch plate.

I love it, I've never gigged it yet but I will be shortly for when we do Edge of 17 by Stevie Nicks. You need a Les Paul for that song it just sounds wonderful.

Attachments

• Les Paul.jpg
    Les Paul.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
Back
Top Bottom