Let’s see those Super Strats!

Is a strat with a humbucker a super strat? I thought it took some making-of-the-ends-pointy and 24 frets to make super?
As a superstrat fondler for many years, I'd say a humbucker in the bridge and something else (floyd, different switching, fancy maple top etc) would definitely classify a strat as a superstrat. Just a standard vintage spec strat with a humbucker in the bridge is touch and go IMHO.

Not sure I would call 24 frets or pointy contours necessary for a guitar being a superstrat. Part of me almost want to say that a superstrat can't have more than 22 frets and not stray to far off from the strat shape. 24 frets and pointy is a shredder to me, not a superstrat. It's all pretty subjective though.

is Chubtone the guitar equivalent of Wang amps? :)
Ha ha don’t know about that, but do know that Curt Anderson the owner, is like one of Southern Cals most respected gurus when it comes to Charvel type 80s super strats. Besides that, the man can play!

Is a strat with a humbucker a super strat? I thought it took some making-of-the-ends-pointy and 24 frets to make super?
It has always been my understanding that the mods players were making in the late 70s were : larger frets, lower action, thinner neck, flatter fretboard radius, bridge humbucker, and (eventually) double locking tremolo.

Wayne Charvel thought it was crazy to mod brand new guitars and wondered why someone could not just produce a brand new strat that had the specs that players wanted. Charvel decided to do just that and the “super strat” concept grew from there.

Double locking tremolos were not available for use on the first super strats.

To me a SuperStrat must have HB's in bridge and should have a locking tremolo system. It's imperative that the user is able to dive bomb and be able to overdrive an amp like a Les Paul would. In short, Eddie's Frankenstrat and the Charvel craze of the early eighties embodies what a Super Strat means to me.1572821961275.jpeg

I no longer have the Jackson. It was one of those guitars that on paper was exceptional - literally every possible option - but I never could jibe with. Even after owning it for a few years I decided I shouldn’t be trying to like a guitar and sold it to a buyer in New Zealand.

Sexiest guitar I ever owned though :)

Attachments

• 43B23BBE-C937-4892-ABD9-1C985A4B783B.jpeg
    43B23BBE-C937-4892-ABD9-1C985A4B783B.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
  • 938645C9-1C8B-4932-BE07-EDB75676BD3F.jpeg
    938645C9-1C8B-4932-BE07-EDB75676BD3F.jpeg
    755.9 KB · Views: 18
My MIJ '86 E-series. Currently out of commission since I replaced the pickguard and broke the new pots in the process (long story..). Will have to order new pots again at some point and get it working again:

IMG_2884.jpg

Also made in Japan, but considerably newer and fancier. J.Custom RG8570:

IMG_3798.jpg

Suhr Modern Antique. This is pretty much my go-to guitar for jams and everything. The wiring scheme is so versatile, and there's multiple tone caps for different pickup switch positions, it can do nearly any kind of sound I need:
IMG_0335.jpg

And finally, my Vigier Surfretter. Not only a superstrat, but also fretless! I think the Vigier Excalibur body shape is my favourite.

IMG_0538.jpg

guyMSWe.jpg

Back
Top Bottom