Legacy Vs. Dyna-Cabs

I wasn't 100% sure about DCabs until I picked up a pack from the store and worked with Cablab. Ended up with great results creating some IRs. I like to tweak so it was really fun to experiment with the cool interface, too. Besides, I've dropped $30+ on a round of drinks at the bar! ;) And, there is a nice sale going on now.

The low end and top end is good, but there’s no mids and no punch.
That’s the description of the sound of the initial microphone position. The microphone against the grill cloth has a bass boost from the proximity effect, and because it’s centered in the center of the dust cap the highs are very noticeable.

Pulling the microphone away from the speaker reduces the lows that result from the proximity effect, and moving it away from the center reduces the highs. It’s a simple experiment that quickly led to finding great sound for me.

Additionally, the choice of microphones and how they are blended helps. A ribbon mixed with a dynamic mic is a standard combination. The condenser or dynamic 2 (SM7) are really good too.

That’s the description of the sound of the initial microphone position. The microphone against the grill cloth has a bass boost from the proximity effect, and because it’s centered in the center of the dust cap the highs are very noticeable.

Pulling the microphone away from the speaker reduces the lows that result from the proximity effect, and moving it away from the center reduces the highs. It’s a simple experiment that quickly led to finding great sound for me.

Additionally, the choice of microphones and how they are blended helps. A ribbon mixed with a dynamic mic is a standard combination. The condenser or dynamic 2 (SM7) are really good too.
Yeah!
I bought the 1960 TV Dyna Cab pack yesterday and together with Cab Lab it’s just awesome.
It’s my main cab right now.

I also feel that lack of punchy mids with the Dyna Cabs. Will it sound better than the stock DC if I purchase some Dyna Cab packs ?

I also feel that lack of punchy mids with the Dyna Cabs. Will it sound better than the stock DC if I purchase some Dyna Cab packs ?
Please try my preset and let me know if its still lacking mids. It has really punching mids!
You can compare my Dyna Cab Block to Leon Todds (@2112 ) TV mix7.

Attachments

• Sash's UEBERPLEXI! VII.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 23

Yes, I am aware of this (flashback to my first year at music studies 15 years ago).

I have tried just about any position, distance and mic. The result is the same.

Thanks for trying though😊

I recently got the 1960tv pack. Moving the mic around the speaker makes more of a difference than I ever would have imagined. To try things out, I made 4 IRs at different sides of the speaker, with the same mic (r121), distance (max), and position (edge). If someone told me those were 4 different cabs, I would have believed it. Even the two sides with and without adjacent speakers sounded completely different.

I found fuller tones that I liked more on the sides where there was an adjacent speaker. I think the stock cab is on the right side (0 degrees) in cab lab, and I found that to have a lot of clarity and a punchy treble, but I wanted a thicker, fuller tone.

I settled on R121, 204 degrees, max distance/position. So far, I’m happy with it (only been a couple days though). Well worth the time and $30 IMHO.

The packs have MANY more possible positions for the mics, 360º and from the cap to the edge at those angles, plus some, like the "Freed Man" pack, have many more mic choices…
Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 10.36.45 AM.png
I don't know if the earlier packs will be backfilled with the additional mics but it seems like a possibility. I'd like to see the "Ribbon 160" available.

As far as punch, I've been very happy with the sounds I'm getting, but I don't play metal. I prefer 1x12 and 2x12 cabs but 2x10 and 4x10 will definitely find their way into the mix as will blending in a 4x12. And, whether it's using an analog speaker and cab or an IR or a Dyna-Cab, if I wanted more of something in my sound I'd add whatever cab it takes to push my sound that particular way; for instance, we can use the Pignose speakers to add "body" to the sound, especially for leads. According to @Cooper Carter, that trick is used on big stages. Add a 1x15 if you want thump.

The packs have MANY more possible positions for the mics, 360º and from the cap to the edge at those angles, plus some, like the "Freed Man" pack, have many more mic choices…
View attachment 134393
I don't know if the earlier packs will be backfilled with the additional mics but it seems like a possibility. I'd like to see the "Ribbon 160" available.

As far as punch, I've been very happy with the sounds I'm getting, but I don't play metal. I prefer 1x12 and 2x12 cabs but 2x10 and 4x10 will definitely find their way into the mix as will blending in a 4x12. And, whether it's using an analog speaker and cab or an IR or a Dyna-Cab, if I wanted more of something in my sound I'd add whatever cab it takes to push my sound that particular way; for instance, we can use the Pignose speakers to add "body" to the sound, especially for leads. According to @Cooper Carter, that trick is used on big stages. Add a 1x15 if you want thump.
I hope we’ll get a mic update on the 1960tv

This ^^^^.

121s are nice, but 160s are the bee's knees....

As far as punch, I've been very happy with the sounds I'm getting, but I don't play metal. I prefer 1x12 and 2x12 cabs but 2x10 and 4x10 will definitely find their way into the mix as will blending in a 4x12.

The Super 2x10 gets a fair amount of play around here, as well as the Deluxe and Virbrolux 1x12s and the Bassguy and Class A 2x12s. Quite a few Rumble 4x12s on dirty sounds that aren't particularly British (IRs are a lot lighter than four EVM 12s in a box), and a few Marshall TVs sprinkled throughout....

Then something else is wrong. Selecting the mics and moving their positions has audible effects.
I should have been more clear.

I do hear audible effects from moving the mic around. But the lack of punch and midrange growl is there, regardless of position and distance.

I’ll try to be more precise with my language in the future.

In
This ^^^^.

121s are nice, but 160s are the bee's knees....

wwthe Super 2x10 gets a fair amount of play around here, as well as the Deluxe and Virbrolux 1x12s and the Bassguy and Class A 2x12s. Quite a few Rumble 4x12s on dirty sounds that aren't particularly British (IRs are a lot lighter than four EVM 12s in a box), and a few Marshall TVs sprinkled throughout....
I Don’t have a lot of experience with the real mics but each time I like an IR, it’s always 160 something lol.

View attachment 134393

Matt stated there is a plan to add more mics to the existing packs.

Post in thread 'FAS DYNACAB PACKS'
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fas-dynacab-packs.201297/post-2514712

There is definitely a perception about the sound that I’ve seen repeated over and over about the lack of mids or whatever. I think there are two reasons for this:
  1. The DynaCabs in box appear to all go from center cap to outside edge of the speaker cabinet. There are certain things you won’t get in the frequency spectrum if you can’t move it inside between two speakers. In this case use CabLab 4 and a DynaCab pack. You can position the X-axis on either side of the speaker.
  2. Trying to fit a round peg in a square hole. Looking for frequencies that aren’t present in the DynaCab in the box (perhaps again due in part to restrictions on mic position). Can’t have it all in box because the memory isn’t there.
    1. In this case try mixing and matching. Who says you have to use two 1960 DynaCabs? For the 1960 in particular mic it with Dynamic 1 or 2 and find the high frequencies you want. Then use the 4x12 Recto Slant with a Ribbon. Or try the Friedman instead. Both Friedman are from one cabinet. Just two speakers were captured the GB and the V30.

Last edited:
Please try my preset and let me know if its still lacking mids. It has really punching mids!
You can compare my Dyna Cab Block to Leon Todds (@2112 ) TV mix7.
Thanks, I will try it and let you know.
I like your preset but I find it more "in your face" with the LT TV Mix7. The Dyna Cab has mids, but not in a pleasant way, I would say more of a blanket or nasal type.
That's no big deal if I don't bond with DC, I'm still very happy with all third party and Factory IR's, thanks for your help to everybody.

Last edited:
Just bought the AC20 DynaCab pack and quickly created two 4-mic IR blends... one bright and one dark... in about 5 mins each. It's very workflow realistic, and completely intuitive. Can't wait for more mics and more cab options!

Back
Top Bottom