FAS DYNACAB PACKS

tntent02

Just getting familiar with cab lab4 and the fact that fas sells dynacab packs. Probably worth the $ but ir packs like the freed man 4x12 are 49$ My Question is , what will this get me compared to what FAS has already included with the fm9 ?

(I am not affiliated in any way with Fractal Audio).

Taking the Double Verb as an example: https://shop.fractalaudio.com/dynacab-pack-2x12-double-verb/. It's $29, so on the lower side price-wise. You get:
  • Condenser 023 based on the Soyuz™ 023 BOMBLET™
  • Condenser 87 based on the Neumann™ U87
  • Dynamic 57 based on the Shure™ SM57
  • Dynamic SM7 based on the Shure™ SM7B
  • Ribbon 313 based on the Shure™ KSM313/NE
  • Ribbon 121 based on the Royer™ R-121
What that means is that you can adjust the tone for that Cab almost as if you were moving around any of those mic combinations in the real world. If you are the type of person that can really hear those mic'ing differences, and you know (or want to experiment with) these particular mics then it is probably worth it.

On the other hand, if you have a specific tone that you already know you can get for a specific Amp using a Cab IR taken from an original 'Verb (or something else that you feel is a great combo), and you're happy with it, the specificity of this DynaCab pack is probably overkill.

If you shop around for IR Packs, you'll find that they are similar prices (most of the time for the decent ones), sometimes more. Each time you preview an IR you have to load it, which isn't really a massive deal, but if you're a tweaker, DynaCabs really do take some of the tedium out of that process, and as I said, you're getting a more "real world" experience, which helps reduce the time spent getting the tone you want, especially if you know what you're doing.

As a final thought, it's worth looking into some of the alternatives to DynaCab like STL Ignite Libra (see link below). They don't work in quite the same way as Cab Lab in that they don't "understand" DynaCabs for example, (which are Fractal proprietary tech), but they are powerful and the better ones give you a lot of scope for working with the balance and orientation of IRs (plus a whole bunch of other things). You can pour a lot of time into this sort of thing like all this stuff though, so it ultimately depends on what you enjoy doing, and what you're trying to achieve.

https://www.audiopluginguy.com/apg-guide-to-guitar-cabinet-ir-loaders/

To that list I'd also add Cabinetron, which is cheap but quite powerful.

(I am not affiliated in any way with Fractal Audio).

Taking the Double Verb as an example: https://shop.fractalaudio.com/dynacab-pack-2x12-double-verb/. It's $29, so on the lower side price-wise. You get:
  • Condenser 023 based on the Soyuz™ 023 BOMBLET™
  • Condenser 87 based on the Neumann™ U87
  • Dynamic 57 based on the Shure™ SM57
  • Dynamic SM7 based on the Shure™ SM7B
  • Ribbon 313 based on the Shure™ KSM313/NE
  • Ribbon 121 based on the Royer™ R-121
We're also planning on adding MORE mics to these packs as time goes by. I believe a number of additions have already been made to the Double Verb. These updates will be free for existing customers.

If you haven't already messed around with cab IRs outside of what comes with the FM9, you will find that they usually come with hundreds of IRs. The process involves auditioning many many cabs. These may include different speakers, different mics, different mic positions, different mic mixes, different EQ, in various combinations. You may find exactly what you want in there. If not, then that's what you get.

The idea with Dyna Cabs is that you have massive variability on a smaller number of IR files. In effect, they bundle a bunch of cab variations and make the process of auditioning related IRs a bit quicker and more intuitive by letting you essentially index through mic selection, positions and EQ inside the CAB block, rather than selecting IRs from a huge list.

IME, I have not loved the non-Dyna cab IRs that came with the FM9. I have bought cab packs I hated, and cab packs I still use. I spent a ton of time auditioning IRs, and sometimes got close but not exactly something I love. I have also used Cab Lab to mix IRs to make a combination of cab IRS that I typically use together into a single IR that's easier to work with.

So there are a few factory cab IRs I use, but 99% of the time I'm using a combination of third-party IRs. I suspect this is common. If Dyna Cabs had been a thing when I first got the Fractal, I may not have bought IRs, but who knows? I don't think I'm very particular with IRs, but the IR controls about 60% of tone and response IMO.

We're also planning on adding MORE mics to these packs as time goes by. I believe a number of additions have already been made to the Double Verb. These updates will be free for existing customers.
This is exciting. Is there an automatic notification message when you bring up a Cab Pack in Cab Lab 4 that tells you there is an update available for any of the packs you have?

Back
Top Bottom