Learning scales the easy way.

There are multiple ways to dissect the fretboard with multiple perspectives providing incrementally deeper connection to the fretboard.
One method of navigating the board that I've found particularly useful is not just to look at the patterns vertically / column-wise, but to associate the mode name shape so that you can then traverse in any direction you want (not just up and down & not just left and right). Sounds complicated, but simple:
MILLoPAD --> Mixolydian, Ionian, Lydian, Locrian, Phrygian, Aeolian, Dorian. Typically, when learning the modes, people go horizontally in note order (Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixo, Aeolian, Locrian). That's useful, but even more so when combined with the vertical organization of MILLoPAD.

OK I get it; MILLoPAD's an acronym. The degrees are 5-1-4-7-3-6-2. G-C-F-B-E-A-D=the C major scale starting at each respective MILLoPAD note. Then what happens?

Modes really confuse me because I haven't finished learning the diatonic major scales, not really even close to that, even though I practice it every day. I do know that
the various diatonics of Dorian correspond to certain notes of the C major scale: D Dorian=C Ionian; A Dorian=G Ionian; E Dorian= G Ionian; and so forth. So it's obvious
to my way of thinking that the better I learn the major scale patterns, the easier it will be to learn the major scale modes. So I practice G major, A major, B major, etc., all the
while mixing in pentatonic licks and a few arpeggios I've learned for variety. The confusion arises out of my question of what the heck difference does it make to start a C major
riff on the D? How does that make D Dorian any different from C major? When I practice D major, how does that sound any different from E Dorian?

And then we have the harmonic minor and the melodic minor scales, where the process seems to start over.

Have a look at fretlight guitars, very cheap and not bad to play.

Love my fretlight. Took mine apart and rerouted some of the wiring under added shielding. Also installed some Fender noiseless pickups. Thing plays and sounds good. Love the fretLight improviser that comes with it too and the fact that most of the jams are 10 minutes long. Great workout.

Back
Top Bottom