Learning from the horn players

Smittefar

Axe-Master
Guitar players should notice what the horn players are doing. Miles Davis, Coltrane, and Maceo Parker all use the same notes as us, but they are not bound by the boxes and shapes of the guitar finger board.

Here I play one of the most well-known and loved horn solos. Except for one note, it is A minor pentatonic, and yet it is completely different from anything, I would have come up with.

Tones are all from the AX8

Trying to mimic the solos generally played by other instruments has always been a fun approach to expanding my musical vocabulary. It tends to provide for some rather interesting intervals that we don't usually go for on the guitar. Not to mention some of the interesting expressive techniques that are unique to each instrument.

Why assume that the horn players wrote the horn music? It wouldn't surprise me if the composition was done on a piano, or perhaps straight to paper, but I'm not familiar with the details of how George composed.
Why assume that they did not?

We're talking about JAZZ... SOLOS... They are pretty much improvised. That is the nature of the music.

Who is George?

The tune here is wake me up before you go go by Wham, so it would be George Michael. This solo might be written on a synth, but I think it's fairly likely that the hired horn section contributed.

But that is not really the point. The point was to seek inspiration from instruments that approach note selection and expression from a different angle than guitar players.

I actually know one of the guys who played horn on some wham stuff. I believe that he did some arranging too. His name is Rick Taylor and he's done quite a bit session stuff for guys like these. Also done some Spice Girls arrangements.

Back
Top Bottom