Lead boost channel preferences and opinions please

GuitarMan86

Power User
Hi All,

I have experimented with the several ways to have a lead boost whether it is:
1. Adding the filter block and positioning at end of chain and bossting db
2. Adding the IA switch set to none and using cc#17 for (old filter IA) and setting min to apx. 115 and max to 127 or so (example)
3. Adding a different preset and boosting the AMP block level up 4db or wherever
4. Same as 3 but copying X/Y AMP settings and doing the same with a level db boost.

I was trying the (#2) in the stuidio last night at gig volume and finding that this method seems to not cut through for me. Although it is using the 'lower level' of the MIDI number as my minimum and the 127 as the maximum it didnt 'feel' the same as say number 3 above 'felt' (if that makes sense). It seemed that I was pushing my output level on the AxeII (and Matrix) higher (as expected since I am at a lower level withouth the boost engaged) (so much that I was now flickering the signal lights on the Matrix at that pushed level) and therefore felt 'weaker' then a normal amp block boost?

Was looking for others opinions on this. Although I like the ease of use with the 'global' setting of #2 I felt as though number 3 or 4 cut through since it was only the AMP block and not the entire chain etc.?

Thoughts please?

I prefer # 3. I do have a filter boost set up as well but for leads it feels better when you "push" the amp harder. For me it always seems to cut through better rather than just a volume boost. Also with the new FW, the scenes function should be great for this as you don't have to set up an entire new preset for your lead "channel" as I have been doing. No more drop out wen switching.

i get good results by placing a drive block or a parametric before the amp. this is to add extra gain. i then place a null filter after the cab with a 3.5db boost in level. i also up the delay mix. i do all this with one external controller, but you can now do this with the new scenes feature as well.

for the drive settings, i use an 808, or one of the new eternity or zen drives. drive is fairly low (depending on the model) and level is at about 7-8. these settings will depend entirely on the amp and drive block selected. if i use a parametric, i'll create a "frowny face" shape and up the level slightly.

another alternative would be to set up the same amp in Y, with the level increased and perhaps the input trim, or gain level raised a bit.

lead sounds are not only louder, but also gainier and have a bit more mid range focus

Kinda like Simeon.

I use a Filter (post-Amp block) to boost 4dB.
I engage a FET Boost (pre-Amp block) to boost the amp's input. Altern. use the (now modifiable) Amp Boost. Or for a really fat tone try the Full OD (Drive 0, Level 8).
I engage the Delay.
Also, in the Amp block I either increase Middle a lot, or I engage the Fat switch.

Thanks tguitar and Simeon.....

I was also thinking with the new 'scenes' function out I would be able to accomplish this yet another way...which is great.

I do agree with you on #3 that it seemed to 'feel' better as I was 'wasting' one of my presets to do this with more gain and mid range with a slight 4db boost and it seemed to cut through. I can explain it...but the global method that #2 provides didnt seem to cut through and feel right at a global level if used across presets. I think having that 'correctness' needed per preset for whatever amp/effect preset you are utilizing at the time needs to be independent (so to speak).

Simeon...most of my presets are 'cookie cutter' with the layouts all being the same pretty much and I use a few different amp models but use globals on alot of my effects blocks that I seem to love across the board. I play mostly hard rock / hair metal covers all night that put me in that habitual mode of Atomica and HBE and Splawn amp models. And, I use a 2x12 guitar cab on stage (output 2) with output 1 going to front of house (with an IR cab after the effects loop) (thats why my preset layouts are all identical so I can place a cab block after the loop to FOH).
So, I have been playing with the 'all around' choice for a boost setting and placement. Once I jump onboard with new FW, I am sure I will be 'playing' with yet another choice :)

My drives are all TS808 models that are not global but pretty similar. Boosting the amp block seemed to give me the 'cut' (whether I use it in the X/Y fashion or another preset number).

hmmm decisions and trial and error awaits further.... :)

Kinda like Simeon.

I use a Filter (post-Amp block) to boost 4dB.
I engage a FET Boost (pre-Amp block) to boost the amp's input. Altern. use the (now modifiable) Amp Boost. Or for a really fat tone try the Full OD (Drive 0, Level 8).
I engage the Delay.
Also, in the Amp block I either increase Middle a lot, or I engage the Fat switch.

Thanks Yek.....

I tell ya.... the responses on this Forum are great and helpful. You guys have all given valid answers that are helpful and allow you to really see different capabilities for a a given situation.

I would still be on hold right now calling support if this was a PC issue with a different company LOL!

Last edited:
I also use a "template" as well and like to have "global" options for doing things. The only problem you would run into however is that for each amp model you use, they will each interact differently with the same pedal model. You'll probably have to play with each amp and see what works best for that particular model

Kinda the same boat as you. Though I like the GEQ at the end of the chain, I keep 15 presets for normal operation and that can get old-but on the flip side, it is very tweakable per preset to make sure you cut through.

The global mode, I have the same thing. It is either not enough to cut, or too much. Much easier-set it/forget it-but the results are a little out of control.

Just decided to try the preset thing for this Saturday-once I learn scenes, I supposed a secondary scene for my main 5 presets would be the way to go. Same amp, just turned up, little more compression, an effect or two.

I also use a "template" as well and like to have "global" options for doing things. The only problem you would run into however is that for each amp model you use, they will each interact differently with the same pedal model. You'll probably have to play with each amp and see what works best for that particular model

agree entirely.... Although I do favor the TS808 in a lot of my high gain presets. I use this with Atomica High, HBE, and Splawn amp models and will set it accordingly on each

Kinda the same boat as you. Though I like the GEQ at the end of the chain, I keep 15 presets for normal operation and that can get old-but on the flip side, it is very tweakable per preset to make sure you cut through.

The global mode, I have the same thing. It is either not enough to cut, or too much. Much easier-set it/forget it-but the results are a little out of control.

Just decided to try the preset thing for this Saturday-once I learn scenes, I supposed a secondary scene for my main 5 presets would be the way to go. Same amp, just turned up, little more compression, an effect or two.

yes, that is a 'spot on' quote hah...the 'set it and forget it' method seems to not work in all types of presets....not a 'one size fits all' type of boost after I tried it out at gig volume level.

I have another gig Saturday this week and will have to experiment more with the above suggestions and see if I can come up with something else.

So far....after playing around I am leaning towards a filter block after the AMP (set to Null and +4db) (I have a GEQ after that giving me some mids to cut through also). Until I get to the new FW scenes I may opt for this method (have to hear it live to see).

Thanks for all the suggestions and quick responses....much appreciated.

My approach is a little different.

I use a volume pedal (post amp, pre-delay/reverb) to control levels for solos, backing, textural or whatever. And different patches for drive levels and textures. Each patch also has a drive boost that doesn't affect volume level.

But I also have a small boost available that's a variation of option #1 above. A filter block last in the chain with 3dB gain but also a 3dB mid boost with low Q.

This is not about compensating for Fletcher-Munsen, just a little boost with a slight mid emphasis. This only applies to my stage monitor for a couple of reasons: I use it to compensate for those situations when the rest of the band decides to lift their stage volume during a solo (very unprofessional), and also because I sound check with maximum level and don't want to push the desk into clipping for solos. It works in practice because the stage boost is usually a good enough cue for FOH to mix solos right if they don't anticipate it coming.

Back
Top Bottom