Bug? Lazy MFC-101?

I'm thinking of interference or some other cable/power supply issue.
How long is the cable?
What happens if you connect the power supply directly to the MFC instead of from the AXE?
Is it the original power supply?

My suggestion would be to just ditch the MIDI cable and use CAT-5, but it would be interesting to figure out what's going wrong with your MIDI connection...

I'm thinking of interference or some other cable/power supply issue.
How long is the cable?
What happens if you connect the power supply directly to the MFC instead of from the AXE?
Is it the original power supply?

My suggestion would be to just ditch the MIDI cable and use CAT-5, but it would be interesting to figure out what's going wrong with your MIDI connection...
I will try running the power differently for testing reasons, but everything has worked fine until the latest update. I dont like the connections on the Axe or the MFC for a
CAT5 connect. I will break them, its just a matter of time. The midi connections are much more hardy and dont worry me near as much.

I will try running the power differently for testing reasons, but everything has worked fine until the latest update. I dont like the connections on the Axe or the MFC for a CAT5 connect. I will break them, its just a matter of time. The midi connections are much more hardy and dont worry me near as much.
I understand, but I think your situation may be unique. I haven't heard of others with the problem you're having. Possibly the new FW is sending a lot more data than the previous?
However, I'm not saying that it's not a bug in the FW, but to report it properly, you should troubleshoot as much as you can on your end so they (FAS) can properly reproduce your exact situation to verify and come up with the fix.

I'm sure you probably already did this but I saw another user who had reset his MFC and forgot to change it back from Expansion to MIDI.

Everything works fine after a patch change, I have tried three different midi cables all same results.
I just ran power straight to the MFC and it works fine. I think there might be delay in the powering up that is juking it.
I dunno, like I have said and shown, everything works as normal after a patch change. I might try reinstalling the MFC firmware later.
Could be fruitless though.

That's truly odd. If I had a 7 pin I would test and try to replicate. I would definetly try another install. I have had some odd MFC results on upgrades before resolved with re-install. Seems like its somthing to do with the pin the supplies the power no? hmmmm.

A bunch of people had their settings changed during the MFC upgrade, myself included. Maybe something got stuck during your upgrade. Try resetting the MFC before you do the upgrade again to avoid any confusion with the settings.

Hey Funeral you are not the only one I have had the same exact problem as you . I get the same inactivity from the IA's until I change patches then back after startup . This started happening
after I upgraded the firmware

Hey Funeral you are not the only one I have had the same exact problem as you . I get the same inactivity from the IA's until I change patches then back after startup . This started happening
after I upgraded the firmware
Holy shit, I thought I was going crazy. :lol
Thanks for letting me know Im not the only one.

Just out of curiosity, how did you upgrade your firmware? Did you use MidiOx or Axe Edit or some other form. How about cabling while updating? Are you sure the cables (midi, usb) are known to be good? I'm asking partially to see if you and AKMOjo upgraded in the same way that might have introduced a bug?

Just out of curiosity, how did you upgrade your firmware? Did you use MidiOx or Axe Edit or some other form. How about cabling while updating? Are you sure the cables (midi, usb) are known to be good? I'm asking partially to see if you and AKMOjo upgraded in the same way that might have introduced a bug?
I upgraded using o6 and used a 5 pin midi cable. The only way I have gotten it to work.

Why didn't your 7 pin powered cable work for the update? Shouldn't that give you a clue?

I know that the cat5 cable you tried and fished out eventually from your nest of networked cables DID indeed work. This basically PROVES that you have a cable/power issue. I promise you that if you continue to use a cat5 instead of a 7 pin with phantom power, you will be good to go for a while. The exact reasons as to why the mill-ohms might be different or the length of cable, or the color of your world was a certain way, doesn't really mean anything today. Right? You just told me that the 5 pin Midi is the only way to update but yet you have only always used the 7 pin midi. Cat 5 is wonderful and it's stronger than you think. You won't break it over midi as long as your not too drunk :).

Holy shit, I thought I was going crazy. :lol
Thanks for letting me know Im not the only one.

Here's another user having the same problem. IA switches don't work after power up until I change a patch or go through the EDIT menu then Save. I too am using a 7 Pin midi. Never a single problem until this latest FW. I've gone through 2 other MFC updates and have never had a problem either.

My unit has a funky issue with the Cat 5 too, that's why I use 7 pin midi. It draws too much power from the AXE and the front panel LCD goes way dim, and the unit makes a louder noise (as you would expect when more power is needed). I've sent it in for repair, and they replaced the whole LCD screen. Got it back, and same thing happens. Something's whack with my cat 5 situation so I stick with the 7 pin midi.

I'm having similar problems, but connected via Cat 5. I couldn't get any of the buttons to respond except EDIT. I then foolishly shortened my song list to 4 songs, when the unit was last on Song 5. Now when I restart the MFC it goes through a self-check and then none of the buttons light up and none are responsive. It seems borked.

If anybody has any marvelous ideas, I'm all ears. I'm supposed to use it at church in about 6 hours, and this is a big downer after getting everything set up.

EDIT: I've restored the MFC and now it will boot up correctly without hanging. I just need to reprogram all my settings now. There definitely seems to be some quirks with firmware 2.15.

Last edited:
Haha...that is why I chimed in Funeral, looked like you were getting it from all sides . As far as the update , I used midi ox and a midi cable . I don't seem to have any problems after switch patches away and back ...just at initial start up

Back
Top Bottom