Bug? Lazy MFC-101?

Funeral

Fractal Fanatic
After updating the II and the MFC-101 to the newest firmware, resetting both to factory and starting from scratch, Im getting a half responsive MFC after I turn my rig on.
Usually the first thing I do whether live or at home is press my tuner switch on the MFC. Lately, the tuner, tap temp, and all non preset switches are unresponsive until I change the patch.
After I change the patch everything acts as normal. When this happens, the IA switches, if pressed, show the name of the effect being turned on, but the LED remains in what ever state it was
already in and there is no change on the II. Can anyone else confirm this. It happens after a power on, or if I leave my rig idle for a while.
Thanks in advance to those who checked.

turn off the screen saver. just kidding!

i'm in the process of resetting everything too but haven't seen this problem yet.

how are you connecting the mfc to the axe? if you're doing MIDI, can you try Ethernet just to see if it's different?

I reset my Axe and MFC after updating both and haven't had any issues. I did have issues with the MFC before I reset it but once it was reset it was fine.

turn off the screen saver. just kidding!

i'm in the process of resetting everything too but haven't seen this problem yet.

how are you connecting the mfc to the axe? if you're doing MIDI, can you try Ethernet just to see if it's different?
HAHA, just move the mouse?
I am using a midi cable and that is what I've always used. Would have to steal one from my pc, not my idea of fun (rats nest).
Anyone else? Thanks again.

I had this issue exactly when I upgraded to 9.0 and my MFC was still on 2.11. Cliff explained I needed 2.15 for compatibility so I immediately upgraded to 2.15 and all seems ok. I use Ethernet though.

Everything is updated to the latest firmware(9.01b and 2.15). Reset both to factory defaults and my MFC is acting lazy.
I dont use a CAT5, I use a 7 pin midi cable.
Should I make a video? This is now starting to bug me.

USB adaptor sends MIDI data from the computer THROUGH the axefx over the MIDI out, to the MFC for example. it's not necessary for normal USB usage.

Wouldn't you need this parameter to connect the Axe to the computer? Worth a shot.
I don't think so. I believe that is only for the purpose of using the USB connection to bridge between a PC and the MIDI connector, like when using the Axe-FX as a USB to MIDI adapter for updating the MFC's firmware.

In the Axe-Fx II's MIDI menu, set UsbAdapterMode to OFF.
This is off by default. At least it was after a factory reset.

Try the Cat5 cable and see if it helps. Now remember you do not need the adapter in this case.
I dont use a CAT5. I understand you mean for testing, but I NEVER use one, so that will not solve my issue.

Wouldn't you need this parameter to connect the Axe to the computer? Worth a shot.
No, with this off, I can listen to playback and record fine. From the 9.01 manual.
"USB ADAPTER MODE
ON/OFF
This setting changes the way MIDI data is handled between the computer and the
physical MIDI IN/OUT and MFC ports of the Axe-Fx II.
When Set to OFF:
1. Inbound MIDI data at the MIDI IN or MFC ports is processed by the Axe-Fx II.
2. Inbound MIDI-over-USB data sent via the AXE-FX II MIDI OUT port of a
connected computer is processed by the Axe-Fx II.
When Set to ON:
1. Inbound MIDI data at the MIDI IN or MFC ports is processed by the Axe-Fx II
and also forwarded to the AXE-FX II MIDI OUT port of a connected computer.
a. Use this so your host sequencer/DAW can record the MIDI data
generated by an expression pedal connected to the MFC-101.
b. Use this to connect a MIDI keyboard or other device to the MIDI IN
port of the Axe-Fx II and play plugins or record performances in
your host sequencer/DAW.
2. Inbound MIDI-over-USB data sent via the AXE-FX II MIDI OUT port of a
connected computer is processed by the Axe-Fx II and also forwarded to the
MIDI OUT and MFC ports.
a. Use this so your host sequencer/DAW can also control devices
chained at the MIDI OUT/THRU port of the Axe-Fx II: synth
modules, 3rd-party processors, etc.
b. Use this to send SysEx backups or firmware updates to an MFC-101
connected at the MFC port.
Note that the USB ADAPTER MODE function is completely independent of the setting
for MIDI THRU (above). It is therefore possible, with both settings turned ON, for the
physical MIDI OUT/THRU port to sum/output four different sources simultaneously:
1) The Axe-Fx II regular MIDI out functions; 2) events received at the MIDI IN port; 3)
events received at the MFC port; and 4) events received via AXE-FX II MIDI OUT from
a connected computer. Adapter mode is disabled during firmware updates."

So, I think Im good on that front, being that its already off.

You should really try it with a network cable. That will at least tell you if it's a cabling/interface problem or something wrong with the MFC or Axe-FX hardware. You gotta narrow down where the problem lies.

You should really try it with a network cable. That will at least tell you if it's a cabling/interface problem or something wrong with the MFC or Axe-FX hardware. You gotta narrow down where the problem lies.
I do not get this issue/bug with a CAT5 cable. Just tried it.

Aha! So the good news is that it's not likely to be a hardware problem with your Axe-FX or MFC.

How are you powering the MFC when using your MIDI cable?
Is your MIDI cable 5-pin or 7-pin? And how long is that cable?

Back
Top Bottom