Launching Clips with Ableton Live using the Axe-FX and a G-System

So, I'd love to be able to launch a clip in Ableton Live using the Axe-FX ULTRA and/-or my G-System while switching from presets. The G-System acts as the MIDI controller for the Axe. I've tried to just use the G-System, but the preset buttons send out CC's which can't launch clips. Is there a way of letting the G or the Axe send out a MIDI note when switching presets? That would save me a lot of hassle on stage!

PS: I'm specifically looking for a clip launch on preset switch only, since I already have a MIDI controller for samples. The idea is to switch a preset on guitar and engage a sample at the same time.

yes, as you've discovered, ableton doesn't respond to PC messages. the only way round it would be to either program buttons on the g system to send cc or note data (not sure if that's possible), or use a widget to transform pc messages to note or cc messages within the computer. mac users can use Download MidiPipe for Mac - Modify MIDI messages in real-time. MacUpdate.com to transform midi data in real time. i'm not sue if there's an equivalent for pc
Well, when I assign the clip with MIDI, it says it's sending out MIDI CC15, so it's sending out CC's, but the clip isn't launching.
The option you've given is available for PC as well:
- Bome's Midi Translator - Bome Software
I think that might be my only option ...

the axe can't send out a specific CC message upon preset load. that's what the midi controller is for. the axe sends out sysex data related to the preset. maybe if you get mad scientist about it and sync the sysex message of, for example, delay1 block ON status and convert it to CC#68 - start Live loop... but i doubt that's a solution.

i used to use a g-system and got my axe ultra and intended to use both. but i quickly learned the limitations of the g-system controller. of course it's designed to work best with the g-system brain and it's general midi functions are very limited.

it'd probably be more effective (but not less expensive!) to get an MFC as well, make the Axe into the main device and control the G system brain only via MIDI and the MFC. you can program the MFC to do all sorts of things. and the MIDI cable would have to come out of the Axe, not the MFC, as it's out is already used to the Axe.

you don't need an mfc. it's a very expensive solution. if you can trigger the clips by hand, you could use a little akai nanokontrol, or just get a programmable midi footswitch for a hundred quid or so.

i'm very curious as to why the g system will let you send out a cc message, but not define the value. seems kinda pointless. i'm sure you must be able to program it somehow. a value of 15 isn't even useful.

the axe can't send out a specific CC message upon preset load. that's what the midi controller is for. the axe sends out sysex data related to the preset. maybe if you get mad scientist about it and sync the sysex message of, for example, delay1 block ON status and convert it to CC#68 - start Live loop... but i doubt that's a solution.

i used to use a g-system and got my axe ultra and intended to use both. but i quickly learned the limitations of the g-system controller. of course it's designed to work best with the g-system brain and it's general midi functions are very limited.

it'd probably be more effective (but not less expensive!) to get an MFC as well, make the Axe into the main device and control the G system brain only via MIDI and the MFC. you can program the MFC to do all sorts of things. and the MIDI cable would have to come out of the Axe, not the MFC, as it's out is already used to the Axe.
Sadly, it doesn't work this way. The G-System foot controller and the brain are one unit, you can't get rid of the footcontroller, they are one.

you don't need an mfc. it's a very expensive solution. if you can trigger the clips by hand, you could use a little akai nanokontrol, or just get a programmable midi footswitch for a hundred quid or so.

i'm very curious as to why the g system will let you send out a cc message, but not define the value. seems kinda pointless. i'm sure you must be able to program it somehow. a value of 15 isn't even useful.
No-No, that's missing the point. I already have a Behringer FCB1010 to trigger samples, but sometimes I need to switch presets on my guitar rig and my software rig - AT THE SAME TIME. That's kinda the point here.

Regarding the CC's, I'm not sure. It might be that Live is just interpreting it incorrectly. You can assign CC's to the other buttons, but it'll transform the button in a MIDI CC button and it'll lose its original function.

haven't used the g-system in a long time. i thought you could still control it using an external controller when you take it out of the pedalboard. dang.

I already have a Behringer FCB1010 to trigger samples, but sometimes I need to switch presets on my guitar rig and my software rig - AT THE SAME TIME.

can you describe your full setup, including the fcb? how is it connected?

can the FCB send a PC and CC command with 1 button press? if so, couldn't you press a button on your FCB that triggers a sample and switches presets on the TC and Axe via MIDI? or could Live send a PC when a CC is received?

haven't used the g-system in a long time. i thought you could still control it using an external controller when you take it out of the pedalboard. dang.
No, the G-System's design is surrounded around the controller, if I'm not mistaken. When the Cat5 cable isn't connected, it won't even really turn on. Besides, editing it with anything else than the G-System controller would be kinda pointless.

can you describe your full setup, including the fcb? how is it connected?

can the FCB send a PC and CC command with 1 button press? if so, couldn't you press a button on your FCB that triggers a sample and switches presets on the TC and Axe via MIDI? or could Live send a PC when a CC is received?
To the first:
no clue, honestly. I have it programmed now to send out MIDI notes, since those work well for triggering stuff.

To the 2nd:
No clue.

FCB is connected to my 4x4 MIDI hub, into my soundcard (PreSonus FP10). That's about it. Nothing special going on here. I'm sure everything MIDI wise is connected properly.

i was using g system to control ableton. u can do it, but as far as i can remember(dont have the g anymore)
u cant send pc and cc samt time same button. so the button u program to send cc wont have pc function anymorre

I'm not entirely clear what you're trying to accomplish, but I know if you have the FCB1010 with the Uno chip, you can send PCs, CCs and Note messages all in one pop. You can also use a stompbox mode where 5 pedals are persistent. You could have the 5 persistent pedals be clip launches and the other 5 change patches or you could have patches change and clips triggering at the same time.

Don't know squat about G-system, but it seems like you could do it all via FCB1010 unless you need too many different triggers and/or patches.

i'm pretty sure the FCB can do it, but it has to be the "master controller" and not the limited g-system board.

i'm surprised the OP can't tell me how the FCB is connected and the entire setup. we can't help if we don't know what you're using.

Back
Top Bottom