Latency when recording 2 amps at one time...

stm113

Power User
So this week I've been experimenting with recording via the USB out on the AF2. I set up a patch to record HBE on track 1 and USA lead on track 2. The HBE was panned hard left and sent to a cab block, the USA lead was hard right and sent to its own cab block. When played them back in my DAW (Sonar X3) there was some latency. My goal was to have 2 amps per rhythm part with out quad tracking to keep the sound a little tighter. When panned together the latency want as noticeable initially as the phasing issues but when I panned them hard right & left could hear there was some latency. Has anyone else experienced this? How do you like to get layers amp sounds with out quad tracking?

There is no additional latency when running two amp blocks. I'm not even sure what you are trying to say though.

I apologize that I wasn't clear in my question, I thought I was but it goes to show how everything is subjective. When I said latency I suppose I should've said that there is a slight delay between the 2 tracks. Theys were recorded at the same time but the delay is there, very slight but there, when you pan them the same you cant hear the delay as noticeably as the phasing issues that'd come along with the tracks not lining up. I may try the same in Ableton over the weekend and see if I get the same result.

I apologize that I wasn't clear in my question, I thought I was but it goes to show how everything is subjective. When I said latency I suppose I should've said that there is a slight delay between the 2 tracks. Theys were recorded at the same time but the delay is there, very slight but there, when you pan them the same you cant hear the delay as noticeably as the phasing issues that'd come along with the tracks not lining up. I may try the same in Ableton over the weekend and see if I get the same result.
Did you use the same cab selection for each amp?

I know for the first few tries I didn't, honestly I don't recall of i ever did. I know I was kind of trying to shoot for fairly different virtual set ups. I'll try that this weekend also. Would different IR's call an issue?

I know for the first few tries I didn't, honestly I don't recall of i ever did. I know I was kind of trying to shoot for fairly different virtual set ups. I'll try that this weekend also. Would different IR's call an issue?
Total guess, but I'd think different mic positions and phasing etc baked into the IRs could process signals differently with regards to time.

Are you sure you dont have different plug ins on each track? Latency might be in the daw tracks, not in the actual audio tracks

If they did you'd notice it when playing live too

Do you have a drive block before one of the amps? Actually when you have muiltiple guitar tracks with the same riff, most times you might want them NOT to be time alligned. Ofcourse they shouldnt be totaly out of phase and they should be grooving.

I did have a drive block before one, so I added one before the other and bypassed it. I thought that could be an issue.

I did have a drive block before one, so I added one before the other and bypassed it. I thought that could be an issue.

I found it best for me to match my block-for-block chain using AES into h/p...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom