Latency through Headphones

ArmBar956

I’m plugging 1/4” into front of Axe Fx III and listening through sony studio head phones. All presets have the unmistakable feel and sound of latency. Are there any adjustments that can be made to address this? Also I bought this used previous owner could’ve made some changes. Would restoring to factory settings work? Thanks all.

Since you bought it used, I'd definitely reset everything back to factory defaults and install the latest firmware just to be sure your starting from level ground.

Overall latency will depend on what you have in your preset. For most presets it's imperceptibly low. There are a few things that can add to the latency, like the pitch block on 100% wet (Virtual Capo, Whammy, etc.) and untrimmed user IRs.

My signal blocks are super simple. Resetting it would be easy i assume? The manual covers that restore proceedure?

Yep it's in the manual. Setup > Utilities menu > Reset page > Reset System Parameters.

This does not erase the presets or user cabs. There are separate options in that menu if you want to do those as well. The latest factory presets can be downloaded from the Fractal website and reloaded using Axe Edit or Fractal Bot.

https://www.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-iii-downloads/

Make sure you've got the lastest version of Axe Edit and Fractal Bot too:

https://www.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-iii-edit/

https://www.fractalaudio.com/fractal-bot/

You might want to do a full backup using Fractal Bot before you reset it just in case you decide later there's something you wanted to keep. You can always delete the backup files later if you don't need them any longer.

Just went through ” reset system parameters“ procedure manually on the unit. Should there be some kind of reboot?it did nothing I can tell, visually.

Download it fractal bot. It’s doing it’s thing. Fingers crossed. Thank you.

I’m plugging 1/4” into front of Axe Fx III and listening through sony studio head phones. All presets have the unmistakable feel and sound of latency. Are there any adjustments that can be made to address this? Also I bought this used previous owner could’ve made some changes. Would restoring to factory settings work? Thanks all.
Kind of an obvious question, but are the headphones wireless or have any kind of processing built-in?

Good question. They’re Wired headphones. Hearing a little crackle distortion on the signal peaks in them. I feel I don’t have a good handle on setting guitar input signal levels yet. Especially when switching between humbucker and single coil guitars.

I feel I don’t have a good handle on setting guitar input signal levels yet. Especially when switching between humbucker and single coil guitars.
Hmm. This shouldn't affect the immediacy of the signal though. Anything else you can think of? You're going direct from guitar to the Axe Fx front input jack, no pitch block in the signal chain and then direct to headphones using passive wired headphones?

Could there be any processing going on in your guitar? It's not a Variax or synth guitar or with any other sort of onboard processing? Do you have another guitar processor or amp you can plug into to compare the perception of latency?

I’m playing a Strat, Les paul and a tele. Going 1/4” into the front input. Blocks are Compressor, Amp, Cab & RVerb. Nothing more.

I’m playing a Strat, Les paul and a tele. Going 1/4” into the front input. Blocks are Compressor, Amp, Cab & RVerb. Nothing more.
What kind of ir are you using?
Standard stuff, or with a lot of room in the ir?

Are the head phones connected directly to the Axe?

What are you used to from earlier? Amps in the room or modeling?

Sorry, but trying to rule out as much as possible.

What kind of ir are you using?
Standard stuff, or with a lot of room in the ir?

Are the head phones connected directly to the Axe?

What are you used to from earlier? Amps in the room or modeling?

Sorry, but trying to rule out as much as possible.
50 Watt Plexi into a Green back 2x12 -factory IR settings - whatever it came with

Headphones directly into unit

Used to both: Play tube amps loudly and also experienced w modeling: KPA & HX Stomp

50 Watt Plexi into a Green back 2x12 -factory IR settings - whatever it came with

Headphones directly into unit

Used to both: Play tube amps loudly and also experienced w modeling: KPA & HX Stomp
Ok. Then it should not be any notable latency.
I haven't tried the headphone out yet, but i will try when i get home.

What firmware are you at?

Random question, but are you going through a DAW at all? (Reaper, cubase, logic, etc)

If so, make sure that you have monitoring turned off on any DAW channels receiving from the AXeFX

Back
Top Bottom